OCR03636 - *YES* Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes "Feelings of Hometownishness"

Chimpazilla

Hey there,

Remixer name: Jorito
Email: 
Website(s):
Userid: 3899

Remixer name: XPRTNovice
Email: 
Userid: 27705

ReMixer name: Furilas
e-mail: 
forum id: 17903

ReMixer name: Chris ~ Amaterasu
forum id: 10671

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Additional Game information:
   System: MSX2 (and multiple others)
   Developer: Falcom
   Genre: RPG
   Released: 1989
   Composer: Mieko Ishikawa, Masaaki Kawai

Name of Arrangement: Feelings Of Hometownishness

Names of songs arranged: Town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9Xnbfo57w)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

This mix was almost a year in the making. Originally it started out as an experiment with Bitwig, a new DAW that I just got. I started messing around with Bitwig, refound this track (ooh, the nostalgia! I vividly remember playing this game!) and soon enough I got a decent version of the remix going with a nice soothing, comfy vibe while learning how to use Bitwig at the same time.

After a bit more work, I liked the track so much that I thought I’d offer it to the Hometown Heroes album project here on OCR. Of course, my MIDI parts (especially the blues harp!) wouldn’t give the best impression, so I went scouting for people willing to collaborate with me on this track. 

Finding somebody to play the harp seemed to be the hardest, but I stumbled upon Mac who could help out and who really brought my MIDI part to live with some extra twists and dynamics. I never worked with live violin before, and Chris was nice enough to take a gamble with me and he did a great job in his parts (even though he found my MIDI parts to be already pretty realistic). Trumpet, finally, was provided by Joe, with some changes needed to the original parts because they were out of range. The only other lead instrument is the hollowbody guitar, courtesy of ISW Archtop. I just acquired it, and it seems to fit the track very very well.

So track all done, great live recordings in, mix finished and I was waiting for the album to progress for almost a year. Turns out it was ultimately cancelled (a pity, I dig the concept!) but I’m pleased to share the track with you for your enjoyment. Hope it evokes the same calm, relaxed, homely feelings of belonging and better days in you as it’s stirring in me :)

Or, as furilas succinctly puts it: "It made my heart feel nostalgic, my brain feel activated and my lips feel oddly aroused.”. You gotta give it to the man, he has a flair with words.

Cheers,
Jorrith

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/24 - Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes 'Feelings of Hometownishness'
  • 1 month later...

What a chill theme! You guys have definitely taken this to the max level of relaxation with some great instrumentation choices and very smooth performances. I enjoyed that there was a good changeup between the leads where nothing overstayed its welcome.

I do think the duo between the violin and the harmonica at 2:06 feels a little awkward as they both take up similar space in the mix and feel a little bit 'clashy'. Nothing big enough to be a deal breaker, just a critique.

Very nice!

YES

Wow, this is a bit of an obscure track. It's very easy to pull the source out of this track regardless, and this arrangement transforms the source into something more light hearted and fun.

The guitar part that comes in at various points in the track (such as at 0:10) is mixed a little too loud in the track, but otherwise I don't have much to critique on this one. It's a great little combination of instruments that just has a lot of fun with the source, and I love it.

Short judgment, but there really isn't much to be said - it's great.

YES

Really chill mix of the original source. Great to see more obscure games getting represented.

I enjoy the overall instrumentation you have here, the strings, the shuffling drums, the guitar is a little loud but otherwise nicely mixed. The breakdown at 1:49 is really nice and was needed. Changing the lead up to a violin here really strengthened this transition and made it feel like a different part, even though the other elements played very similarly. The horns after this also added some nice change of flavour to reused parts of your arrangement. This also closes out nicely too.

I don't have any major crits with this. As said the guitar is a little loud, and after I listened through I thought the drums could've used some variation, but these niggles weren't major drawbacks for me.

YES

Welcome to the Bitwig geek circle.

I love tracks like this, mellow, relaxing arrangement.  The first 2 minutes were a bit repetitive, but the arrangement picks up and is very varied.  I didn't like the interactions between the two leads at 2:08, they seemed to be overlapping each other somehow fighting for attention.  I think they would've been better off panned to each side and avoiding falling on the same melodies too often.  The trumpet was much nicer though.  I think the mix isn't too great, felt a bit muddy but not so much as to make the different elements unclear.

Nice Work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to PROJECT - (2015/12/24) *YES - TAG* Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes 'Feelings of Hometownishness'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic
  • 11 months later...

Quick update: Jorito requests that we take this off the projects list, since the project is likely not going anywhere.

I submitted this track in 2015, and it has already passed the panel. I originally intended this to be on the “Hometown Heroes” album, but since that one isn’t going anywhere, could you please unmark it as a project track and put it in the normal queue for posting?

Thanks!

Jorrith

• 3 weeks later...

Only checking this out while prepping it for posting, but congratulations on producing what sounds like a super-authentic Japanese arrange album piece. Excellent sound to the guitar in particular for setting that tone, IMO, and all of the performances and part-writing were on point. A bit cluttered, but the space was filled up well, and certainly nothing dinging this on any meaningful level. Beautiful work, gentlemen!

YES