Star Fox, Sector Y Remix - "Lonely in Space, With a Waltz"

Slimy

Source:

The first half of the remix is based almost entirely on the intro of the source - often slowed down and in a different key. It gets pretty abstract at 0:51, and the main melody finally comes in at 2:14. The waltz starts at 4:02.

• 0:00 - 0:50 The 2 second intro, slowed down and in a different key. The bell motif from the source continues while pretty much everything under it is original.
  • 0:51 - 1:27 Original
  • 1:28 - 1:55 The intro, this time in the same key but still slowed down.
  • 1:56 - 2:35 The intro, this time at the same tempo as the original, albeit in different keys. The main melody comes in at 2:14.
  • 2:36 - 2:53 Piano motif was inspired by the original song's intro, but isn't taken directly from it.
  • 2:54 - 3:34 Main melody
  • 3:35 - 3:58 Second part from the original song
  • 3:59 - 5:17 Basically the source song
  • 5:18 - 5:51 Original
  • 5:52 - 6:07 Main melody again
  • 6:08 - 6:28 Original
  • 6:29 - 6:57 Main melody

I've replaced the Dropbox file with an updated, longer version. The main theme appears much more prominently at what is currently the end now.

4 hours ago, Ganaé said:

If I can suggest some things, the velocity of piano seems to be hard sometimes.

Can you explain? Does the piano have too harsh a sound, or does it just get too loud? And can you point out a specific time where this happens?

Also, would it be more convenient for people if I just posted the WIP to my Soundcloud, and updated that?

Ok, I've finished the entire thing! Check the OP for a SoundCloud link.

• I tried to fix the randomly loud piano notes.
  • I've improved the percussion everywhere.
  • I've lengthened the transition at 1:52.
  • Made the violins louder at 2:54.
  • Made the cello sound better at 3:14.
  • Added the waltz portion of the remix!

EVAL

Ooo, this has a bit of a modern space-y sound to it, a bit of Strauss (Waltz King) and Strauss (Ego-centric Romanticist) influences in this. Really solid arrangement, and the source seems to be well represented.

The orchestration is solid. I feel sometimes it relies a little too heavily on the low strings to carry the theme, so it feels a little predictable after six minues, but it isn't a big deal. At 2:14, the attack on the strings is a little high, creating a tiny swell for each note. Your other phrases sound near perfect.

Yeah, not much I can add to this, it's pretty darn good. I think it'll pass, as is.

8 hours ago, Gario said:

The orchestration is solid. I feel sometimes it relies a little too heavily on the low strings to carry the theme, so it feels a little predictable after six minues, but it isn't a big deal.

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. I don't know how I could have overlooked that. I've added more variation toward the end, and it sounds great.

Agreed with Gario, but I do have some suggestions/comments for further improvement regardless. :)

• At 0:51 - 0:53, 0:57 - 0:59, 1:07 - 1:09, and 1:20 - 1:24, I think the violins/violas (whatever's leading) have a weird attack to them - kinda 'pulsey', or like multiple same-direction bow strokes, instead of a smoother phrase.
  • Loving the emotion in the lead at 2:05 - 2:32. OK, not exactly a crit!
  • At 2:54, does that piatti seem a little late to you?
  • At 2:58, 3:03, 3:17, 3:22, 6:05, 6:07, 6:11, and 6:27, obviously a very minor thing, but I'm hearing a small click. I listened back and forth on it, and I'm pretty sure it's there. :| However, very solid dynamics work throughout!
  • 3:36 feels like it got quiet in lieu of a smoother transition, IMO. What if at 3:31 - 3:36, you had the piano play a few descending single notes to signal its arrival?
  • The hit at 4:57 could maybe have a cleaner arriving connection, as it felt a bit sudden to me; perhaps a cymbal roll, and lowering the velocity on the piatti a little?
  • I did like the transition at 5:35 - seemed good to me.

Really enjoyable overall though; relaxing. Neat mood change at 5:35, and nice and mellow ending. Great work!

Ok I've updated the song after taking timaeus's suggestions into account. Except for the following:

2 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

At 0:51 - 0:53, 0:57 - 0:59, 1:07 - 1:09, and 1:20 - 1:24, I think the violins/violas (whatever's leading) have a weird attack to them - kinda 'pulsey', or like multiple same-direction bow strokes, instead of a smoother phrase.

That was a stylistic choice of mine - the first note of each measure has a big break before the second. Do you think it sounds bad? I have smoothed out the strings at 1:20 - 1:24 though.

At 2:54, does that piatti seem a little late to you?

Yes, I did that on purpose! I think it sounds more interesting that way, like a percussion grace note.

At 2:58, 3:03, 3:17, 3:22, 6:05, 6:07, 6:11, and 6:27, obviously a very minor thing, but I'm hearing a small click. I listened back and forth on it, and I'm pretty sure it's there. :| However, very solid dynamics work throughout!

I almost couldn't notice it even after you pointed it out. Usually this sort of thing happens to me because of sloppy volume transitions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see anything at all that could be causing this.

1 hour ago, Slimy said:

Ok I've updated the song after taking timaeus's suggestions into account. Except for the following:

• That was a stylistic choice of mine - the first note of each measure has a big break before the second. Do you think it sounds bad? I have smoothed out the strings at 1:20 - 1:24 though.
  • Yes, I did that on purpose! I think it sounds more interesting that way, like a percussion grace note.
  • I almost couldn't notice it even after you pointed it out. Usually this sort of thing happens to me because of sloppy volume transitions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see anything at all that could be causing this.
  • It's not bad, per se, it just feels to me like a sample limitation or something.
  • Ah, okay. Just making sure! :)
  • Yeah, I'm not sure what it is either; maybe a latency issue? Sometimes if I have a really memory-intensive project file, and I get clicks all over while previewing, I get a few while rendering. That hasn't happened in a good long while though.

My only comments would be that the xylophone and some of the percussion at 0:41 to 0:51 seems 'closer' than the rest of the soundscape (maybe a bit more reverb needed) and the chimes I hear at 2:37 are REALLY quiet. These are TOTALLY nit-pick observations - it really does sound good as is.

Another beautiful track. Awesome, Slimy!