Dissipating Sorrow (Endless Sorrow) from Final Fantasy IX

JBarron

Hey!

I am looking for feedback on this arrangement I did of Endless Sorrow from FFIX. I took the original and created a completely organic sound using European Folk instrumentation. Musicians are:

Violin: Michaela Nachtigall
Viola: Andrew Steffen
Guitar: Jordan Chin
Bodhran: Ian Martyn

Mixing by John Montoya

So what does everyone think? Would you like to see an album of music like this?

Ronald,

I am very glad you like it! This will be on an album called The Travelers which I am producing seven arrangements for as well as having other arrangers participate. The music is strictly from JRPGs and all are arranged in European folk styles. There will be tracks that are more of the relaxing sound you hear above, but there will be aggressive heart pumping arrangements also. We have Celtic, Spanish, Welsh, Norse, Icelandic, Slavic, and many more. I'm doing one now that has quick, aggressive guitar and bouzouki passages sort of like The Witcher 3 battle music.

Anyway, thank you for listening!

I did have a Welsh version of Xion's Theme but I wasn't satisfied with it. Maybe I will release someday :). But there is something by Shimomura on the album! As for Norse, I listen to music from Banner Saga or perhaps Skyrim. I also found a lot of really good traditional folk music on YouTube. My best advice is listen to it a LOT and read up on it.

I haven't found any good sources for traditional Norse melody-writing/arrangement or rhythms. Got any suggestions based on your experience and/or research. Keep at what you're doing (you seem to be really good at it). I'd definitely love to hear that Welsh version of "Xion's Theme" (she's got one of the most beautiful character themes in KH).

This is actually one of the songs I came across on my research.

This playlist also will give you a good familiarity with the styling.

The music is very serene but also uplifting at times. I love the language and how it sounds in songs. You can also use Icelandic, Norwegian, Finnish, and Swedish music too.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this track. I think you need more bodhran and pan flute with less mandolin to give it a more Celtic feel IMO, but I really like the sound this track creates regardless. Mournful, slow tones on the steel-string with harmonizing strings - it reminds me of a Wild Arms track.

Only critiques: The volumes of each instrument seems a bit off in some parts and there's a loud click at 2:19. That's it - love the arrangement, the timing/intonation is great, beautiful track.

Although the Norse music discussion should probably be moved to another thread, I'd like to suggest the 'Valkyrie Profile' series as a good source of modern-sounding Norse music in video games, specifically the track 'Epic Poem to a Sacred Death' from the first game. For more Celtic-sounding tracks, check out katethegreat19's work on OCR - she is an AMAZING vocalist and harpist, and has some gorgeous tracks she has done for the 'Worlds Apart' OCR album released last year.

Hope this helps!

I am doing Epic Poem to a Sacred Death for the album ;)! And thank you for the critique! The mixing stuff was a bit of a rush (three hours which is pretty crazy!) I debuted it on the SML Podcast and I did an arrangement of Meridian Dance which was played on that same podcast as well as during my appearance on Level with Emily Reese. This album will have a lot of styles and fusions, but will sound like they belong in a tavern nonetheless. I plan to release a preview trailer for it soon.

Side note about Katethegreat... I asked her to join my project but she never responded, but perhaps someday I can get her to perform for me.

• 6 months later...