Are two monitors really necessary?

Dual monitors is great for more than just remixing. No, it's definitely not necessary, but as a programmer as well as a (hopeful) remixer, it's something I wouldn't do without. Being able to have my programming environment in one window and the software I'm working on running in the other is a huge timesaver. That's all you'll get out of remixing on multiple monitors though. It's a timesaver, just like how you're usually better off using a keyboard instead of mouse to enter notes on the piano roll if you can play piano. You can do without it, and if you're not convinced and have a list of other gear you want, you probably want to get that first.

You might like having some windows on one side, and some other windows on the other side.

I know what they're used for, lol. :lol:

It's definitely not necessary. I've never tried using dual [or triple] monitors but it doesn't seem like something I'd want, as I'd need to manage 3x the screen area, but everyone works a little differently.

Yeah, I could certainly do without a second (or third) monitor for the time being, and space for the extra monitor(s) could also potentially be an issue.

You can do without it, and if you're not convinced and have a list of other gear you want, you probably want to get that first.

That sounds like the most sensible thing to do.

fltv.jpg

Whoa.. we have the same keyboard! :o

Thanks everybody for all of your help, I still don't know if I even want to purchase a second (or third) monitor, but if I eventually do, I think I'll take Kanthos' advice and wait until I already have some other gear purchased.

I have a second monitor. I personally could not function very well without a second monitor because I've gotten so used to it. For music I'll often have my arrange window on my main monitor and my instruments and effects open up on my second monitor so it doesn't clutter up the screen.

It also has non-musical benefits. I can have my internet browser open in one window, itunes and my IM stuff in another window so I don't have to keep minimizing screens to see what's going on.

So, it's not necessary at all (it certainly won't help you make better music, but it would probably help with your work flow). So if you have the space, money and means to add a second monitor, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have some extra screen real estate.

Would my money be better spent on other gear (i.e. some decent headphones/a better audio interface)?

Get a better audio interface first :). Otherwise, if you're not using your PC to do graphic design on, get a cheap (possibly second-hand) TFT monitor. Who cares if 3 pixels are dead? Lots of 'm for sale, too. Won't take up much room on your desk, will however add convenience.

I can't do without my dual monitor setup anymore nowadays, but I also do graphic design so I'd prefer it if the screens are equal and new.

DC127 - 2 pickup guitar $ 729.00

BC - black hardware $ 15.00

SS - graphite saddles $ 20.00

RB - Rounded Body $ 30.00

36 - Pickups $ 10.00

AC - Pickups $ 50.00

35 - pickup option $ 5.00

43 - M22N $ 5.00

BPH - black painted headstock $ 20.00

6100 - jumbo frets $ 15.00

PW - instrument color $ 0.00

ASH - Swamp Ash Body $ 40.00

HC11 - Guitar Case $ 49.00

Subtotal $ 988.00

Shipping $ 19.99

Total $ 1007.99

Bitch.

I love having dual monitors. However, it helps even more if your software can take advantage, like different pieces of the UI being detatchable and moveable. Reason, ACID, Project5 all do this awesomely. Arrange in one monitor, maybe pattern editor, or mixing controls on the other. Unfortunately Ableton Live can't do that so its UI is all on one screen. The only way it takes advantage is by letting your vst's pop up and move to the other monitor. Still nice though, and since I usually have Reason rewired into it, Reason will go on the second monitor.

hi About:Blank. my name is analoq and i have an opinion.

having dual-displays is not only unnecessary, it's not useful most of the time.

and my studio used to look like this 5 years ago. and 5 years ago it was great.

but by now applications have drifted away from those awful MDI guis and we have more efficient ways of making use of screen real-estate.

for example, Logic's screensets feature is more useful to me than dual-monitors ever was.

now there are situations when having an extra screen can make a difference, but that's not going to be the majority of the time. as cool as having dual-monitors seems, you'll be happier having one nice monitor than you would with two less-nice monitors.

cheers.

but by now applications have drifted away from those awful MDI guis and we have more efficient ways of making use of screen real-estate.

for example, Logic's screensets feature is more useful to me than dual-monitors ever was.

now there are situations when having an extra screen can make a difference, but that's not going to be the majority of the time. as cool as having dual-monitors seems, you'll be happier having one nice monitor than you would with two less-nice monitors.

cheers.

Not necesarrily true, and if I had dual monitors there'd be countless ways that I could use them. In the end, it depends on what you're using and if you find yourself struggling to have enough space. Whenever I use FLStudio, an extra monitor would be very useful as that way I can view the pattern arranger as well as edit individual patterns, all while still having VST windows and whatnot. In Reason it would be less useful as it was made to work on just monitor and have everything in an all-in-one view, but whenever I use Sonar it would be infinitely helpful. From editing the MIDI patterns while tweaking a synth, to using both the console and the track view at the same time, to many other things. In the end it depends on if you feel as if you don't have enough space in your DAW and you need more room.

cheers.

I think you have a good point here. At first, I wanted to get an extra monitor after reading that it could prove useful. While I still think that they could potentially prove useful, I think that at the same time, they are also not really necessary either.

Not necesarrily true, and if I had dual monitors there'd be countless ways that I could use them. In the end, it depends on what you're using and if you find yourself struggling to have enough space. Whenever I use FLStudio, an extra monitor would be very useful as that way I can view the pattern arranger as well as edit individual patterns, all while still having VST windows and whatnot. In Reason it would be less useful as it was made to work on just monitor and have everything in an all-in-one view, but whenever I use Sonar it would be infinitely helpful. From editing the MIDI patterns while tweaking a synth, to using both the console and the track view at the same time, to many other things. In the end it depends on if you feel as if you don't have enough space in your DAW and you need more room.

You also have a good point, it seems like such a hard decision whether or not I should purchase another monitor, but at the end of the day, I think that there are other things I could purchase that would prove much more useful than a secondary monitor. I still think that I may purchase one though, but just not right off.

Thanks for all of the advice everybody!