High CPU usage in Fl Studio... Is it Sampletank 3's fault or FL's?

In FL Studio; if I load up 16 instances of "Full Strings" in Sampletank 3, the CPU usage will be high. I'm pretty sure this is related to the "ConvoRoom" reverb. When the CPU usage is high; it will spike to around 90% if I try to move things around in the piano roll. Regardless of if audio is playing or not.

This is on an i5 3570k CPU by the way.

When I try to use a patch that does not use "ConvoRoom"; I don't experience this high CPU usage or the CPU spikes in the piano roll. "ConvoRoom" is mostly used on orchestral patches from the Miroslav library.

If you use Sampletank 3 in FL Studio; load 16 instances of the "Full Strings" patch and tell me if you get the same high CPU usage.

This is with the Resampling set to the lowest and the ASIO buffer set to the highest.

The only solution seems to be to remove the "ConvoRoom" reverb from all instruments.

This problem occurs whether I use FL Studio 11 or the latest version.

Do you guys think this is a Sampletank 3  issue or an FL Studio issue?

If it is an ST3 issue; could you guys recommend me an orchestral sample library that has good CPU performance?

56 minutes ago, zircon said:

Convolution reverb generally uses a lot of CPU. Kontakt's convolution is the same way. Just use an external reverb that isn't convolution based!

Hmm, that might actually work. Instead of using the built-in reverb in Sampletank 3, I might try using FL Studio's reverb.

15 hours ago, YoungProdigy said:

In FL Studio; if I load up 16 instances of "Full Strings" in Sampletank 3, the CPU usage will be high. I'm pretty sure this is related to the "ConvoRoom" reverb. When the CPU usage is high; it will spike to around 90% if I try to move things around in the piano roll. Regardless of if audio is playing or not.

Well, if you move non-muted notes around in the piano roll, when you don't highlight them, they're going to make sound anyways. An additional thing you could do is Ctrl+Left-click-drag and highlight the notes you want to move, and that will make the note movement silent. So, if you're looking to work in the same project file and have trouble with lag, try that while you haven't yet turned off the convolution reverb.

And indeed, Kontakt's convolution reverb can get quite CPU-intensive; I would agree that you could opt to use external reverb instead.

Like others said, convolution is the culprit, and no orchestral library will fare any better as far as convolution reverb. Instead of investing in a new orchestral library, you actually should disable all the convolution in the library and just get a nice, basic versatile reverb VST. Waves Trueverb is very nice. Easy to control and has a great sound.