Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Esperado

I know Im not the ONLY person who's excited to play the next Mirrors Edge game.  We got less than a week left to wait! Solar Feilds is back on deck for what hopefully is another stellar soundtrack. The open world seems like it will be a good (if not obvious) addition, and the addition of multiplayer is hopefully going to spice things up. Time trials got a little old after a while last time. Who else is excited, or even just intrigued?

Definitely looking forward to this one.  Loved the suspense while running from gunfire and slamming through doors of the original and some of those jumping puzzles were pretty thrilling to pull off.  

The only thing I thought was in contrast to what they were attempting with the game was that it felt like a 90's adventure game at times.  The ones where you walk forward, and die, repeatedly, until you figure out that you should probably walk in a different direction. Just to see if you don't die.  In Mirror's Edge when you are running to your death every few seconds until you figure out where to go it takes a good chunk of the excitement out of the moment.

BUT! I'd much rather play a difficult game that's not afraid to kill you off for not figuring things out quicker than one of those AAA player-pandering-hold-forward-and-then-watch-people-talk-about-how-amazing-you-are "games" .  

I pre-ordered this and the dynamic theme they include is really awesome. It has its own SFX, Music, and the visuals are great and non-intrusive in the menus. Less than a weak left to wait.  just a few days... Monday night at midnight is when it'll open for me... Don't know what to expect but I hope it's as good as the first game, or better.  Esperado, we could remix the new CHVRCHES theme

On June 4, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Brandon Strader said:

Don't know what to expect but I hope it's as good as the first game, or better.  Esperado, we could remix the new CHVRCHES theme

Me neither, Im nervous that they tried too hard to pander to the mainstream shooter crowd rather than expand on what was good about the original. I guess we will just find out!  Im gonna wait to listen to the theme so as to keep feeling the hype. 

I think it goes without saying that this is better than the first game -- it has about as much of a learning curve for the controls, more with combat than movement, which is pretty simple actually. Putting in an upgrade system was a brilliant idea to allow people to learn each new movement move at a time rather than be overwhelmed with a bunch of different button combinations. I like that there's no ability to pick up a gun anymore, and they found a creative way around you surviving when being shot at. The music is fantastic, as is the atmosphere. So far I am seeing this as a massive improvement over the first game, though a different taste on some level. Really enjoying the game, though I'm not a huge fan of time trials, challenges, and having to find a quicker, unknown path to get somewhere faster while being timed. I have never and probably will never enjoy time trials, but that doesn't detract at all from the game. I may give them a try but I don't really want to learn where all the quick nooks and crannies are throughout the map. 

I was skeptical at first but i agree that its an improvement. The combat feels a tad on the easy side so far but is deeper than it was in the previous game. overall im satisfied so far that they managed to keep the atmosphere of the previous game intact. 

Im pretty sure icarus is a shady double agent. 

2 hours ago, Garpocalypse said:

I haven't watched any videos of the game but I heard from the reviews that there are apparently no guns at all?  Not sure how I feel about that since running from gun fire was the most intense part of the first game for me.  

The guns only really helped if you were good at shooters and even then you only got what was in the clip, and that wasnt alway enough. They added a defense system that makes it easier to survive gunfire, but it takes some practice. 

On 6/8/2016 at 7:46 PM, Garpocalypse said:

I haven't watched any videos of the game but I heard from the reviews that there are apparently no guns at all?  Not sure how I feel about that since running from gun fire was the most intense part of the first game for me.  

Enemies will shoot at you, but you can't pick up their guns to shoot back.

I was waiting for reviews to hit before I bought, but somehow I found myself playing it on release day.  I think it's a huge improvement over the first game.  The story is still garbage, but at least it's charming garbage.  The game found a style and they run with it (pun def intended), which I think was the best approach.  Mirror's Edge is far more about the zen of running through a modern futuristic cityscape than it is about anything else.  Because of that, the open world is such a good change.  A couple of times I found myself running in circles, but I didn't really care because the running mechanics were so satisfying.

It looks like EA put a lot of money into Mirror's Edge which made it a pretty decent game, but unfortunately I don't think it's for everyone.  It scratches all the right itches for me, but it's not a game that I'd go out and immediately recommend to everyone.  But, if you like the first game, you'll love the second.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I gotta say that the end fight is a little dissapointing.  The level as per usual was stellar, but...

Spoiler

really, two sentinals and thats it?! thats the final boss?! no puzzle, no hordes of opponents. I didnt die once, thats not how a final boss should be.