OverClocked ReMix Chess League

kamoh

OVERCLOCKED REMIX CHESS LEAGUE

Servers: Yahoo! Chess Advanced Lounge 7 - PlayChess - FICS

Community: irc.enterthegame.com, #ocrcl - 'OCRCL' chat room on AIM

JOIN THE OCRCL! Post your intent to join in the thread, and list your active AIM screen name.

The OCRCL is currently going through a number of changes. We are going to play a team league for the next two months. There will be four teams, and over six weeks each team will play every other team twice. In week 7, the top two point-scoring teams will face of in a final match.

MATCH RULES:

10 minute initial/10 second incriment (10 minutes per move ON, Protected Rooms).

Play as the color your team is assigned for the week.

Undo turn is not allowed.

Teammates may not sit at the table.

Base scoring: 3 points/win, 2 points/draw, 1 point/loss.

DRAFT

Many players have already been drafted into teams. YOU MAY JOIN AT ANYTIME, so advertise yourself and join the OCRCL!

January 13th, 2007

While I wouldn't consider the current setup for the league to be a 'failure,' there are issues that are undebatable that allow the most active good players to simply dominate. I see the 10 weeks of the 'league project' as a great step in the right direction, but older ideas probably would better suit this league. Since OCR members for the most part simply come and go with little commitment, it's difficult to get behind a long-term championship, which is unfortunately the thing I'd like to see the most.

Around August I floated the idea of team play, in order to bring in some more players and allow lower-ranked players to still compete. This was replaced by the two- or three-division tournament plan, which lasted all of six weeks, to finally be replaced by the league project. The thought of having chess teams has been in my mind for a while, and all of you have been fairly responsive to the tri-series idea that I'm promoting, which I intend to be the "test run" for team play.

Ultimately, this morning, I decided that the best idea might be just to let loose and create a team, encouraging others to start their own. I won't start team play unless I am able to get commitments from four teams, and I would likely employ a six-week schedule with a one-week championship, with this schedule rotating constantly. Rules would have to be made on player transfers, drafting, etc., and addressing these is the main concern. Scheduling and strategies for captains are basically already decided, as all players will be assigned to a team, and each team will have to play every player at least once and no more than twice in a schedule (with no more than one "healthy scratch"). All these rules on scoring, scheduling, that's easy, already been decided.

The issue is getting the people. We currently have 24 people on the OCRCL schedule. 6 of those are not on the active schedule. Another 4 are currently no-shows. With not even 16 committed players, how can we get the necessary players for a compelling and competitive league? There will always need to be at least 3 players playing for a team in a week, hopefully I can increase that number to 4 if this idea takes off. Expansion is a hopeful pipe dream, and I'd love to see a semi-permanent six-team league with two-week playoffs, rotating every calendar season.

Anyways, I've got a lot of ideas on this one. If you'd like to be a captain, please IM ME.

Estoy aqui.

This new idea of Kamoh's is exciting. It feels a lot like baseball to me.

Hey why is Week 1 dubbed "Week 0"? I'm sure there's a good reason for it...

Oh, and Kamoh, I have a weird request to make - if you intend on posting updates and standings and all that stuff we like and you're so good at, can you do one little thing: since handles at OCR are case-sensitive, can you spare me searching through the entire thread looking for someone's post to know exactly how to spell their handle (e.g. does RocketSniper have a space, capital letters, etc.) and instead just label their standings in exactly the way it is at OCR? I appreciate the consideration.

Oh sorry...I edited it and forgot it.

WEEK Zero = Preseason :)

It won't count but it'll be a nice test for me to show you what I want this to develop into.

Also, I think I can do that little request for you. Although the posts you describe are mostly at the front of the thread, so it shouldn't be that huge of a problem (and the whole AIM thing), from now on I'll strive to get that right.

Listen, if you aren't aware, there's this thing called protein folding, which requires computer processing power. Basically, it's a brute force consideration of all the molecular possibilities if we do all these different things with strands of protein (protein is what DNA is made up of), and it's very important for various biological/medical research reasons. You can create and join a team that will get a ranking based on the number of work units you've completed, and OCR has its own team.

All you have to do is download this little program that you just leave running whenever your computer's on, and put your processing power to good use. It's not invasive and won't affect your other programs. It only uses what processing power you happen to have available at any given time, without affecting other processes. We're trying to recruit more people now, because Gamefaqs is about to get ahead of us!!! Yes, those stupid bastards have more active CPUs and they are quickly closing the gap. We need to fight back. Sign up! Sign up now!

Listen, if you aren't aware, there's this thing called protein folding, which requires computer processing power. Basically, it's a brute force consideration of all the molecular possibilities if we do all these different things with strands of protein (protein is what DNA is made up of), and it's very important for various biological/medical research reasons. You can create and join a team that will get a ranking based on the number of work units you've completed, and OCR has its own team.

All you have to do is download this little program that you just leave running whenever your computer's on, and put your processing power to good use. It's not invasive and won't affect your other programs. It only uses what processing power you happen to have available at any given time, without affecting other processes. We're trying to recruit more people now, because Gamefaqs is about to get ahead of us!!! Yes, those stupid bastards have more active CPUs and they are quickly closing the gap. We need to fight back. Sign up! Sign up now!

Yeah, I'm already in a Folding At Home group that isn't OCR related.

This is neither ____ nor ____ by the ____ of the OCRCL.

This is neither ____ nor ____ by the ____ of the OCRCL.

Kamoh, hit the link and get folding. We gotta beat gamefaqs!!!eleven

Dama!

DNA is not made of proteins, it is composed of nucleotides (which are made of nitrogenous bases, sugars and phosphate). [Do I sound nerd-ish?] :-)

Also I think it is incorrect to say that protein folding requires computer processing power - "simulation of protein folding" is more appropriate.

Though all this project looks interesting... Maybe I will join, when I will make my computer to work better.

informations

These matchups do not matter. This is a trial week and we have the other tournament to finish up.

However, I would like you guys to play some matches that you see scheduled. Also, you may play one "riskmatch" (see page 1 of the thread) as will be permitted in normal play.

I will allow for bye weeks, but the whole dynamic hasn't quite been sorted out yet. This will be crucial to keep good players from losing a lot of points needlessly simply because they are gone for a while.

There will also be a refined reporting system, done on a week-by-week basis because I intend to reward players at the end of each week (highest score, most improved, etc).

There will be a four-week rotation constant. If you have the most points over the last four weeks (calculated every week), you will get something...a star probably. You will be looking to get as many of those stars as possible, likely in a 12-week span.

chessfr3.gif