OverClocked ReMix Chess League

kamoh

I will allow for bye weeks, but the whole dynamic hasn't quite been sorted out yet. This will be crucial to keep good players from losing a lot of points needlessly simply because they are gone for a while.

Have you thought about having only a finite number of points, based on the number of players entered? I.e., a new player joins, and starts with a default of 50 points. That way, the only way to gain or lose points is to exchange with other players, and the amount one player loses should be equal to the amount that the other player gains. So if a player doesn't play for a couple of weeks, his points are unaffected.

However, I'll admit this raises a whole host of other complications, like what to do when somebody draws with another player who is better than them. Should they get something based on the difference in their points? We'd need several formulas for the various situations and that might be too much work. I dunno, just a thought.

By the way, I thank Margo for her corrections and remind everyone again how important folding is. See, we're all learning something. Regardless of the details, it's neat that you ca participate in scientific research without actually having to any work. Come on, let's beat Gamefaqs. It's just a couple clicks away!

I will allow for bye weeks, but the whole dynamic hasn't quite been sorted out yet. This will be crucial to keep good players from losing a lot of points needlessly simply because they are gone for a while.

Have you thought about having only a finite number of points, based on the number of players entered? I.e., a new player joins, and starts with a default of 50 points. That way, the only way to gain or lose points is to exchange with other players, and the amount one player loses should be equal to the amount that the other player gains. So if a player doesn't play for a couple of weeks, his points are unaffected.

Sounds like an ELO rating.

Sounds like an ELO rating.

I've considered it in the past, after reviewing the IRB system and others. I even have a spreadsheet sitting around based on June's results to reflect this consideration.

However, I decided that trying to develop such a ranking system was just too difficult a challenge for myself personally. I would want to control the levels from the ground up, and to do a game-by-game analysis of your rankings could end up disastrously complex and even incorrect.

Furthermore, it'd put the focus of the tournament on me instead of on the game. While that consideration hasn't totally been followed, I catch myself making things too flashy and too league-centric. This new episode is no different, but I'm hoping that this will be the be-all, end-all, and players will get used to the little additional quirks that have been and are being implimented at this time.

Plus I like to impress you guys.

Furthermore, it'd put the focus of the tournament on me instead of on the game.

That's a really good point.

I'm totally prepared to, if given an adequate algorithm, write a Python script or something to generate accurate ratings, but I'm clueless on what that algorithm would look like. All I know is for two equally matched players, a rating change of (W, D, L) = (+18, 0, -18) would occur. Beyond that, I would need instruction.

But it's not like we're hurting without it either. If you're a player who's into that kind of thing, I suggest www.playchess.com.

I beat Fire as black. When I got the pawns to the other side all were queened.

;Title: Yahoo! Chess Game

;White: cpt1337

;Black: chessmaster_1313

;Date: Tue Oct 10 01:53:07 GMT 2006

1. d2-d4 e7-e5

2. d4-d5 f8-c5

3. e2-e4 d8-h4

4. d1-f3 g8-f6

5. g2-g3 h4xe4+

6. f3xe4 f6xe4

7. c1-e3 c5xe3

8. f2xe3 o-o

9. f1-g2 e4-c5

10. g1-f3 d7-d6

11. o-o f7-f5

12. f3-g5 h7-h6

13. g5-f3 b8-d7

14. g3-g4 f5xg4

15. f3-h4 f8xf1+

16. g1xf1 d7-f6

17. b1-c3 g7-g5

18. h4-f5 c8xf5

19. e3-e4 c5xe4

20. c3xe4 f6xe4

21. g2xe4 f5xe4

22. c2-c4 a8-f8+

23. f1-e2 e4-f3+

24. e2-e3 f8-f4

25. a1-f1 f4xc4

26. e3-d3 c4-d4+

27. d3-e3 f3xd5

28. e3-e2 d5-c4+

29. e2-e1 d4-e4+

30. e1-f2 e4-f4+

31. f2-e1 f4xf1+

32. e1-d2 c7-c5

33. b2-b3 c4-a6

34. d2-c3 d6-d5

35. b3-b4 f1-f3+

36. c3-b2 c5xb4

37. a2-a3 b4xa3+

38. b2-b1 e5-e4

39. h2-h4 g4-h3

40. b1-c2 g5-g4

41. c2-d2 g4-g3

42. d2-e1 d5-d4

43. e1-d2 e4-e3+

44. d2-e1 d4-d3

45. e1-d1 e3-e2+

46. d1-e1 g3-g2

47. e1-d2 h3-h2

48. d2-e1 h2-h1+

49. e1-d2 g2-g1

50. d2-c3 e2-e1+

51. c3-b3 d3-d2+

52. b3-c2 d2-d1++

byes

If you forsee yourself needing to take a week off, you may alert me that you will be taking a bye week. The rules on this:

1) You may only use one bye week every four weeks.

2) Each week starts on Monday and ends on Sunday, so please alert me by the Sunday before your bye week that you would like to have the bye week.

3) A BYE WEEK will delay your previous results one more week, allowing you to collect more medals if possible.

4) You must alert me that you have returned for ANY off week, including a bye week. Otherwise, I will continue to leave you out of the schedule (which is better than losing reports).

suspensions

1)If, for ANY reason, you recieve less than zero points for a week, YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED for the next week. This can be done by losing reports and losing riskmatches.

2)Your negative score for that week will be adjusted to 0 points.

3) You must alert me that you have returned for ANY off week, including a suspension. Otherwise, I will continue to leave you out of the schedule.

reporting

1) If your opponent is unresponsive or unwilling to play a scheduled match, you may put them "On Report" by PM'ing or IM'ing me.

2) All reports are a ½-point-swing per game - if you win a report, you take ½ point from your opponent.

3) Reports must be made BEFORE the Saturday of the week in which that match was scheduled. Otherwise, they are invalid.

4) Reports are subjective - if the reported player is visible to me and I am talking to them, I will waive the report entirely.

5) Counter-reporting is allowed, and will very often nullify both reports.

6) If you lose a report and finish the week with a negative score, you will be suspended the next week (see above).

Apologies for the double post.

Nemitor_Atimen will be given a BYE.

Fire will be given a BYE as well - I assume he's actually busy enough that I'll keep him out of the schedule.

After bye weeks, the next week is "OPEN," which is for players who are "in" the tournament, but not scheduled for that week.

If you've been suspended, that "OPEN" will say "SUSPENDED" instead.

1)If, for ANY reason, you recieve less than zero points for a week, YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED for the next week. This can be done by losing reports and losing riskmatches.

In other words, if you only play a risk match on a given week and lose it? Or is this some sort of penalty for sucking? Just curious.

I like that idea. One bye per four weeks, with the way byes are set up, sounds very fair.

In other words, if you only play a risk match on a given week and lose it? Or is this some sort of penalty for sucking? Just curious.

In other words, only play a riskmatch if you've got at least one point in regular matches that week.

I might change this, but I doubt it - I want to make sure that every week shows a non-negative score on it. You're already getting penalized for two weeks away..

More below...

I like that idea. One bye per four weeks, with the way byes are set up, sounds very fair.

I think so too :)

NOTE:

I ONLY give out points for games that I schedule, and I will give out 1 point for each.

I don't give out points for ANY games that are unplayed.

For riskmatches, I don't give out points - you trade them.

For reports, I don't give out points - you trade them.

oh and one more thing

This won't happen in the regular weeks, but I'm going to rotate those matches so that whoever Fire and Nemo are playing are instead playing eachother.

I beat Glitchy Keegan as white.

;White: chessmaster_1313

;Black: keegan_the_fox

;Date: Wed Oct 11 03:20:57 GMT 2006

1. e2-e4 e7-e5

2. g1-f3 b8-c6

3. f1-b5 g8-f6

4. o-o f6xe4

5. f1-e1 e4-d6

6. b5xc6 d7xc6

7. f3xe5 f8-e7

8. d2-d4 c8-e6

9. d1-h5 d6-b5

10. e5xc6 b7xc6

11. e1xe6 b5xd4

12. e6-e4 d4xc2

13. c1-g5 c2xa1

14. e4xe7+ d8xe7

15. g5xe7 e8xe7

16. h5-g5+ e7-e6

17. b1-c3 a8-b8

18. g5-e3+ e6-f6

19. c3-e4+ f6-e5

20. f2-f4+ e5-d5

21. e3-d3+ d5-e6

22. e4-g5+ e6-e7

23. d3-e4+ e7-d7

24. e4-f5+ d7-d6

25. g5xf7+ d6-e7

26. f7xh8 b8xh8

27. f5-e5+ e7-d8

28. e5xg7 a1-c2

29. g7xh8+ d8-e7

30. h8xh7+ e7-f6

31. h7xc2 a7-a5

32. g2-g4 c6-c5

33. h2-h4 f6-e6

34. c2-f5+ e6-d6

35. f5-e5+ d6-d7

36. f4-f5 c5-c4

37. g4-g5 a5-a4

38. h4-h5 c7-c5

39. f5-f6 c4-c3

40. b2xc3 c5-c4

41. g5-g6 a4-a3

42. h5-h6 d7-d8

43. f6-f7 d8-c8

44. g6-g7 c8-b7

45. h6-h7 b7-a8

46. h7-h8+ a8-a7

47. g7-g8 a7-a6

48. f7-f8 a6-b7

49. g8-f7+ b7-c6

50. h8-f6++

chessxk2.gif

You'll noticed that I changed something I usually change: The scoring.

The effect of every match is the same, though. All I did was integrate the first tiebreaker (games played) into the score.

STANDARD MATCHES

+51 points/win

+26 points/draw

+01 pointss/loss

RISKMATCHES

+26 points/gain

+01 points/push

-24 points/bust

REPORTS

+25 points/default

-25 points/forfiet

I know it's kinda weirdly done, but it works out right.

I'm still trying to find a way to incorporate the second tiebreaker in there as well (most wins), but it's harder to make it simple.

If you're bored, look into it for me, and see if there's a way that I can assure that my tiebreaker system can work in the easiest most direct way possible (or something).

good point there, clef, and something that should be noted.

everyone!

Make sure that your opponent knows that you are playing FOR OCRCL credit. We've had a lot of these "friendlies" in the past and often times you might get a result out of another player just to be wallopped with the claim "oh, I didn't know this was for the tourney."

The easiest way you can do this is to say "for OCRCL?" or "for the tournament?" or "Week 1 Game 1 glhf" or something like that so that your opponent knows that you intend for this one to count.

chessmn4.gif

NOTE: Records have been consolidated into a 4-column form, to reflect:

Wins - Draws/Gains - Losses/Pushes - Busts

Gains, Pushes, and Busts are what I'm terming the riskmatch Win, Draw, and Loss, respectively.

aim sucks.

thus, im not getting on often any more, though I will be on MSN/Yahoo/Gtalk/Xfire/IRC/etc.

everything but AIM.

if im on, then your lucky.

i'll only check back on this page once every few weeks too.

--

I see I've been given a bye instead of being fully eliminated. fine with me.

Here's making a rule for ya:

not playing

I'll keep you as either a "bye" or an "open" until you mention that you would like matches or like to be removed from the schedule.

You must clearly tell me you want to be taken off the schedule to be removed.

You will never be removed from the standings if you play, but I can make you anonymous.

good game keegan. he ran out of time.

;White: keegan_the_fox

;Black: chessmaster_1313

;Date: Thu Oct 12 17:31:59 GMT 2006

1. e2-e4 e7-e5

2. g1-f3 b8-c6

3. f1-b5 a7-a6

4. b5-a4 g8-f6

5. d2-d4 b7-b5

6. d4xe5 f6xe4

7. a4-b3 f8-c5