Getting a Warm & Thunderous 70s Sound

So a friend was asking around for recording advice and I thought someone here might have some helpful input on the matter. And, yes, I know most people here don't deal with live instruments all the time.

Thought somebody out there might find these notes and questions useful, plus looking for advice about this. If you have any questions ask me.

Our aim is to get a really warm thunderous seventies sound without spending a fortune in a studio or on gear.

Very happy with our Midas board going into a Mackie hard drive. A little unusual because the Midas is a live board but it has a great warm British sound.

Tried a TL Audio Ivory 5051 for my voice, but like the RNC better. Going to try a Joe Meek 6 on it too. But here's the big question. We need a stereo compressor for drums and another for the buss.

We plan on trying a Valley People Dynamite on our drum tracks. You can still get these puppies fairly cheap.

For the drums Nitebob said get a Joe Meek 3SC and or DBX 70s 160s (good luck finding some!) For the stereo buss Bob said he actually likes the RNC. But I'm leaning toward a UA 1176 or a Distressor or a Fatso or an LA2A or maybe even a Manley Mu. This will probably be the most expensive piece of our recording chain.

Just heard from Jack Endino, he says he never uses a compressor on the stereo bus!

Anybody out there have experience with these compressors? I'd love some advice please!

Thought somebody out there might find these notes and questions useful, plus looking for advice about this. If you have any questions ask me.

Our aim is to get a really warm thunderous seventies sound without spending a fortune in a studio or on gear.

Thunderous: try the "wall of sound" technique.

Warm: Roll off all the highs below 16khz with a nice analog parametric equalizer. Boost the mids slightly.

But I'm leaning toward a UA 1176 or a Distressor or a Fatso or an LA2A or maybe even a Manley Mu. This will probably be the most expensive piece of our recording chain.

To save cash, look at DSP cards like Creamware or UAD. Creamware has the Vinco, UAD has also a nice collection of plugs. These usually are more powerful and detailed (and done better) than you get in most VST plugins.

Just heard from Jack Endino, he says he never uses a compressor on the stereo bus!

Provided that you have the rest of the mic in check, you won't need one :).