SaGa Frontier "Alone"

Meyichi

I just looked back at when I joined and realized I've been stalking this site for eight years. Eight years of listening to amazing music and not making any of my own. So, I gave a hand at it.

This is based on SaGa Frontier's "Alone," the Bio Lab theme, by Kenji Ito. I took a lot of inspiration from Crystal Castles' album (III) in instrument choice - a little bit industrial, a little bit trance, etc.

Chrysalis

Here's the original: Alone

I'm looking to get some feedback on equalization, whether any parts come out too harshly, and the general "completeness" of the piece - this is my first foray (that's actually gotten past the planning stages) into remixing, so I'd love any feedback.

The drums are a bit buried under all those low saw-wave chords, if you have any drums playing besides the bass, I can't really hear it. You could make them louder or free up the low frequencies, but i also I think they would have much more of an impact if you gave them sharper attacks. They sound muffled as they are.

As a general rule of thumb, you shouldn't have thick chords at low frequencies, because it becomes harder to distinguish notes, and it gets muddy.

If you could make them sound less muddy, I think the low saw-wave chords might sound good for a more intense part of the song, but right now they play throughout the entire song without any variation, and it isn't too interesting as a result. You could probably try swapping it for some softer sounds at the beginning, and eventually build up to the harsh synths.