OCR03421 - *YES* Vampire Killer "Wicked Chip" *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

Mostly did production stuff like EQ and volume balancing, but I also re-recorded most of the vocoded vocals and changed the drum samples. I liked Emunator’s idea of having the song break wide open after the intro, so the intro is deliberately dry, mono chiptune instruments and drums.

Other submit info as before, the only thing that changed is the link to the track: 

Bye,
Jorrith

On 04 Mar 2015, at 18:57, Jorrith Schaap <> wrote:

Hey there,

Remixer name: Jorito
Email: 
Userid: 3917

Drums performed by Erik Vreven

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Vampire Killer
Additional Game information:
   System: MSX2
   Developer: Konami
   Genre: Platforming
   Released: 1986
   Composer: Kinuyo Yamashita, Satoe Terashima

(Please note that though there are a lot of resemblances to the NES game Castlevania, this is actually a different game)

Name of Arrangement: Wicked Chip

Names of song arranged: Wicked Child (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rp19k4-Qlg)

Link to the remix: 

Comments about the mix:

My drummer friend Erik wanted to create a Drum 'n Bass-ish groove for Vampire Killer's Wicked Child song by using the original game song and adding live drums and some sub bass to it. I thought we could do better and started remixing the song from scratch. As always things got out of hand and it turned into a groovy chiptune DnB combo with live drums and vocoded voices.

This track took a looooong time to finish; we started it in July 2014 and it was finished only in March 2015. I guess that’s what happens when real life (tm) catches up with you and puts you out of composing business for 6 months. Still, the track benefited a lot from this seasoning and the helpful feedback in the workshop forums and for a first try at something chiptuney I’m rather proud of it.

Cheers,
Jorrith

Very tasty arrangement - chips for life, yo. I love the doubling that you incorporate throughout, such as at 1:22-1:32, it's just perfect. Source is very clearly there, and you play around with said doublings, solos and such to add your own spice to the whole thing.

The production is clean, and the drums sound very healthy in this version (apparently that was an issue in the first submission). I feel that the synths sometimes get a little heavy on the right speaker - probably imperceptibly on monitors, but it's noticeable on headphones. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that distracted me a little. Otherwise I found everything to be easy to hear and well produced.

Great arrangement, solid production, I'd say this would be a great addition to the site.

YES

Fat drums yo.  I feel the mix is on the empty side for the most part, but that has the benefit of bringing clarity to the instruments.  I still think that some padding or background textures would've lifted the mix rather than hinder it.  I liked the usage of chip sounds, and you managed to use different pulse width settings on the different leads to keep things interesting.  I of course loved the vocoding as I have a huge bias towards them.  Still the usage here was on point to accentuate certain sections.

The arrangement is strong here as we've come to expect from Jorito, with extensive interpretation and additions to the original melody.  You did a great job keeping familiarity without falling into repetition. 

easy YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/05/22 - (2Y) Vampire Killer 'Wicked Chip' *RESUB*

The panning was arguably too wide, and I thought the chip leads had a strange balance where the frequencies they were in were somewhat piercing, yet they were also too quiet relative to the supporting instrumentation. Otherwise though, this was excellently arranged, and I'm OK with the mixing. Didn't hear the first version, but nothing's holding this back now. Nice energy, Jorrith and Erik, and nice work! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/22 - (3Y) Vampire Killer 'Wicked Chip' *RESUB*
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03421 - *YES* Vampire Killer "Wicked Chip" *RESUB*
  • DaMonz locked this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic