• Your real name: Lee Prisby
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website: www.Klaymore.com
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 33333

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Banjo Kazooie
  • Name of arrangement: Rare Ravine
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Gobi's Valley 
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Composer by Grant Kirkhope for Rare's Nintendo 64 classic 'Banjo Kazooie.' This track appeared as the theme for the sixth world in the game.
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):  It is very likely in the archive, but here is a YouTube link for reference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sau5ZTNKCe4)
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: Playing through Gobi's Valley made us parched -- the only way to quench our thirst was to get Jiggy with it and lay down some metallic groovesThe harmonic minor scale that is used to give the song its desert feel translated perfectly into a metal arrangement. We were able to get the song's original composer, Grant Kirkhope, to listen to our remix because we know he's a metalhead. He told us he liked our take on it and our attention to detail. We interpreted that as "good work and thanks for not messing up my song."

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Super conservative but good metal guitars.  Drums aren't blowing me away.

edit 7/5/16:  Wow this is conservative.  Both the remix and original are at 130bpm.  I layered them together and the arrangements are identical.  I'm leaning heavily toward NO but am I wrong to reject this for being conservative when it's a metal interpretation?  It's not a midi rip.  I'm torn.  Call me Rip Torn.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/14 - Banjo-Kazooie 'Rare Ravine'
  • 2 weeks later...

Solid metal arrangement, overall, though it's a pretty conservative take on it. There are one or two fills that break it apart from the source, and the style is certainly different (western festival dance-ish to metal), but it's still very strictly true to the source. Arrangements that stay true to the source are great in their own right, but unfortunately OCReMix expects more personal interpretation of the source.

The drums are mixed pretty quietly in this track, too, and it sounds like the snare head could use some tightening up in the snare. 

It's a great metal track, and it certainly deserves the praise it got (from Grant Kirkhope, no less!). Unfortunately, I don't think it's a good fit due to the conservative nature of the arrangement. Great work, though, and I hope to hear more from you, regardless!

NO

Pretty straightforward and conservative.  The guitar performances are pretty good, but the drums leave a bit to be desired.  The main problem here though is that it's not interpretative enough and sticks very close to the original in terms of arrangement and structure, so it doesn't really feel like a metal song on its own, but as gobi valley's theme with guitars.  I think you need to make the arrangement your own, tackle it from a different angle that makes it sound yours.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/02/14 - (2N) Banjo-Kazooie 'Rare Ravine'

I agree that this is very much a cover with a few flourishes and that, ultimately, it's a bit too conservative to the original song to be posted on OCReMix. At just over 2 minutes long, there's not a lot of time to get more interpretive. The fill around :25 was a good start but aside from that, this feels like a pretty direct cover of the original, which is not what we're looking for on the site.

However, the thing that really bothers me about this is the drum tone. Your kick drum is SO clicky, there's no meat there at all :( The sequencing also feels like it's missing a lot of attention to detail - the 1:13 or 1:20 really highlight how robotic the drum programming sounds. I think you need a better drum library, and it would definitely not hurt to sequence the MIDI with a bit more attention paid to velocity as well.

Good guitar chops, but the drum programming and production definitely needs work. Sorry guys!

NO