Can i monetise my mixes on Youtube?

DarkEco

I'm a tad confused on the subject. It's probably been asked a million times but i typed "monetising" into the forum search a nothing came up.

Google searching has turned up a firm "NO" on monetising remixes, but these appear to be for mashup style mixes that use original audio. It even mentions "original audio" in the YouTube policies. But what about OC style mixes? If i create a track based upon an existing track but use none of the original audio and i alter the melodies, structure, key etc?

The OCR FAQ's state:

"Basically, as long as you do NOT make any profit directly from its usage AND you credit both the artists and http://ocremix.org for each track used, the answer is YES, you have our blanket permission to freely use OC ReMixes. In those specific circumstances, that also means you do not need to contact us to formally ask.

However, if OC ReMixes themselves are monetized, being sold in any context, or you're generating revenue from ads while hosting OC ReMixes, the answer is NO. In those instances, we recommend getting individual permission from each artist."

From what i can tell this is referring to the remixer as the artist, yes? So as long as you get permission from the remixer then you can monetise the video the track is used in? Where does the original composer come into this? I'd love to be able to monetise my original mixes, but i'm feeling like this is sounding to good to be true...

Short answer - if you want to monetise your content, make sure you own all the content, or get your music licensed. At least I think thats the short answer, it all gets very complex. Honestly, unless your planning on being the next Smooth McGroove I wouldn't worry about monetising.You won't earn enough, and i've heard youtube can be a bit dodgy with that system as it is. As a general rule, I leave it well alone and earn money from my original music, not my remixes.

On 15/06/2016 at 10:51 PM, JJT said:

Setting up digital licensing is pretty easy through https://loudr.fm. Something to consider if you want to try monetizing your covers.

The term "cover" is actually something i want to equire about also. I always thought of covers as re-recording a composition in it's original form (like guitar or drum covers you see on Youtube). What actually defines a cover, remix or re-arrangement? What would OCR fall under? I referred to a piece i'm currently working on as a "remix", but i was told that since i wasn't remixing the original audio it was classed as a "remake".

A good 99% of the time, OCR stuff is considered a rearrangement. In traditional means, a remix is utilizing original audio to create a new work based on the original. A cover is recording a new version of a song (typically the new version is similar to the original in several ways, usually but not always melody).

If you're recreating a work without using original audio, then your song would probably be considered a cover or a remake.