BOSS ME-50

Synth

I don't have any experience with it, but I'd like to hear what your setup is? I'm guessing guitar -> ME-50 -> combo / preamp & cab..? But if you're not running it into an amp at all, then that'd be why the tones suck.

Guitar>ME-50>30 watt amp.

That ME-50 is a pretty great little unit. I have a Boss OD-20 which has all of the overdrive models from the Boss GT systems, and it sounds really great. One thing about alot of distortions is that when played into a clean amp, the amp can't be very bright, otherwise the distortions sound really brittle.

When you say bright, do you mean lots of mid? Sorry i'm a guitar noob.

I have a Vox valvetronix if that helps.

Bright refers to highs.

A Vox Valvetronix is a modeling amp.. it's probably not a good idea to run a unit such as the ME-50 on top of a modeling amp.. usually that's why you buy a modeling amp in the first place.

If you want to use the ME-50 just as an effect then set your Vox to the overdrive/distortion you want.

If you really do everything on the Vox, find a nice clean setting on it. Set all the controls (lows, mids, highs) on the ME-50 flat and just use the Vox controls. Combining both usually runs you into problems.

Bright refers to highs.

A Vox Valvetronix is a modeling amp.. it's probably not a good idea to run a unit such as the ME-50 on top of a modeling amp.. usually that's why you buy a modeling amp in the first place.

If you want to use the ME-50 just as an effect then set your Vox to the overdrive/distortion you want.

If you really do everything on the Vox, find a nice clean setting on it. Set all the controls (lows, mids, highs) on the ME-50 flat and just use the Vox controls. Combining both usually runs you into problems.

Yeah, thats what I kind of thought. I guess i'll take back the ME-50 and get a footswitch for my amp, a distortion pedal, and a wah wah.

Any recamindations for the distorion and wah pedal? I'm looking for a rock/metal sound.

Thanks guys, much help :P

I'd suggest a Crybaby for a wah pedal. I'm not sure how you can't get a heavy sound out of the amp, but I'd suggest a light overdrive you can use in front of a distorted amp model. Something like the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a really well-modeled TS808/TS9 copy with an added Bass EQ. You can use this in front of a high gain amp model to tighten up the low end.

Honestly I'm wondering why you want to buy a distortion pedal when you have the Vox.

That's what modeling amps are for, so you don't need pedals to sculpt the sound. Do you not like any of the tones the Vox has to offer? It may be better in the long run just to buy a new amp..

Nothing wrong with a Crybaby for a Wah, as Sixto said.

No, I like the amps on the vox just fine. But I wan't to be able to switch from clean to distortion without having to go up to the amp each time. Vox does make a footswitch to change from the amp types, but from what i've read you can only switch between 2 effects or 2 amps, which is kinda of a let down.

Hmmm maybe a new amp is in order, what would you guys say is good? I've heard that Mesa Boogies are good for heavy stuff.

My main guitar is a Schecter Gryphon. And my budget would be between $400-$500

An old friend of mine had the Behringer V-AMPIRE LX1200H Head. And I belive it was the Behringer Ultrastack BG412H 4x12 Cab. He was getting some pretty good tones, and it fits right in my budget. But then again, its modeling, which i'm having some issues with now as you can read.

EDIT: But I guess it will give me trouble if I were to use some pedals with it?

That Valveking isn't exactly a heavy amp, but before you look into a new amp, try out that footswitch first. With any other non-modeling amo you get, you'll only be able to switch between two (sometimes three) channels anyway and most amps don't come with built-in effects.

If that doesn't do it for you, I'd suggest you get another modelling amp. You're probably not yet at the point where you'll appreciate the tone/feel of a tube amp, so something with lots of flexibility and other extras may be what you're looking for. Have you looked into the Line6 Spider series? With a footswitch, you can have four channels of amp model and effects. With a floorboard, I think you get 12 channels, plus a tuner and a volume/wah pedal. This combo seems like a pretty good deal. Listen to those clips and watch that video, too. See if that's something you'd be in to.