Undertale - Unwavering Beliefs (Spear of Justice)

Kat

Just a little work-in-progress arrangement of Spear of Justice. An orchestral arrangement was the obvious choice. Right now it's very conservative, but I plan to flesh it out into an actual remix at some point.

37 minutes ago, HankTheSpankTankJankerson said:

Why do you think this lends itself to an orchestral arrangement? (This is pure curiosity)

Song structure, mostly. While I'm aware it was intended to be an over-the-top anime-ish hero theme(which also happens to share its main melody with Waterfall and Ruins, among others) , the way it was all designed just screamed "orchestra" to me. It made very liberal use of orchestral hits along with the marching percussion. The intro portion stuck out to me a lot, as the notes had a very clear staccato feel to them and built up to a climax before going into the lead melody. I'm terrible at explaining this sort of stuff. Mostly it just felt like it was the right way to go.

The beginning of the original song sticks out to me as something that could be orchestral. Your version doesn't really have the same kind of of energy though - partially because the melody at the beginning is an octave lower, and partially because all the instruments sound muffled. Your percussion is extremely quiet, I can barely hear snare drum, and if the timpani were any quieter, I wouldn't know it was there at all. (In fact, I'm half expecting you to say that there were no timpani.) And the cymbals are too quiet to contribute anything except some soft white-noise.

The "rhythm notes" at 0:12 sound repetitive and midi-like. If you don't have any round robin samples, you could still alternate velocities to improve the sound.

There is a strange metallic sound at 0:40... you may have been intending for that to be part of the percussion, but it's so quiet, it sounds like a mistake.

I do like the crescendoing trombones at 0:53. I think it's a decent example on it's own of how you could be more liberal with the orchestra to add some nice personal touches.

Hm, yeah. I see what you mean now. I was doing a lot of late night mixing on my headphones and the percussion seemed a good deal louder there. Now that I'm on my proper monitors I can hear a good deal of mixing I need to do in that area.

11 hours ago, Slimy said:

The "rhythm notes" at 0:12 sound repetitive and midi-like. If you don't have any round robin samples, you could still alternate velocities to improve the sound.

The strings/horns in the background? Yeah, I can see that. I was a bit too focused on the lead horns, I think, and trying to get them to sound great. I think I did pretty well in that area for the most part, but I really need to put more attention into the rest of it.

For now it'll probably stay a straight arrangement while I get the mix sorted out and sounding better.

15 minutes ago, HankTheSpankTankJankerson said:

Then it should be in 12/8 CLEARLY

Obviously I've made a terrible mistake. I need to rework the entire mix into a pirate-styled mix ASAP. I'm talking lutes and harpsichords and all that pirate jazz. The internet needs a 12/8 pirate-style Cutlass of Justice arrangement!