http://soundcloud.com/timaeus222
http://tproductions.comeze.com/
ID: 24526

Submission Information

Game: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
ReMix Title: CONNECTED!
Consoles/Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
OST Composers: Keisuke Ito, Yasuhiro Kawagoe, Noriko Murakami
Sources: Dialga's Fight to the Finish! (PMD2), Revelation Mountain, Tree of Life (Roots); attached.

ReMix:
 (VBR1)
 (WAV)
or, attached if the Box bandwidth runs out.

Comments:
"Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon!! Oh man, it's such a great game... Makes me wish I had a 3DS. :P Next best thing? Watching Marriland narrate through his mostly-blind LP for all the characters, giving each of them their own distinct personalities. When watching the LP, as soon as Marriland reached Revelation Mountain (which is the site for a mind-blowing plot twist! No one spoil it!), I said right then and there, "OMG YES, best track in the game [besides that of the final boss battle]". Having seen the plot unfold, I found it to have just the right melodic contour and chord progressions to elicit an emotional connection with the plot itself, and it even reiterates the same primary motif in different contexts like you might hear in a great ReMix. After listening to 'Revelation Mountain' for a few days, I found myself humming countermelodies to it. That tends to be a good sign, so I just went with my gut and started something.

What you hear is pretty much exactly how I imagined it, from beginning to finish. In general, I wanted something ambient/atmospheric, generally low-key and relaxing, that later unfolds into an impactful section, and somehow tapers off for an outtro. It was kind of a challenge to incorporate a slow yet engaging pacing while not using too many intense drum samples, but it was still fun! For some atonal percussion, I recorded myself jangling coins, and I lightly glitched some tablas and rimshots (I did end up using some cinematic drums though!). I made many of the bell sounds, while a few others are from Crypto Cipher (Tabla Tarangs) and Impact Soundworks (Resonance). 

For the arrangement, you could say I went with the flow. I was a bit inspired by some of the Shou Drum demos from Impact Soundworks in terms of the meditative tones, but mainly I just wrote what came to mind---often something I hummed or simply imagined while not using FL Studio. I actually put in some of those countermelodies I hummed (the "secondary lead" bells at 1:56 - 1:59, 2:25 - 2:34, and 3:23 - 3:37). While writing this, I was also listening to the rest of the soundtrack, and I came across 'Tree of Life (Roots)', and geez, some seriously emotional passages in that as well! Some of the chords reminded me of the theme for the final fight in Mystery Dungeon 2, and I ended up humming that theme atop 'Tree of Life (Roots)', so I was inspired to incorporate both of those as well. Overall, unlike much of my other music, I'm actually most proud of the -compositional- nuance that went into this, and I hope you enjoy this too!

The ReMix title is based on the many alliances you make in the game, and the "CONNECTED!" message that pops up in the middle of the screen."

Extra Info:

Source Breakdown:
0:15.00 - 0:30.00 = Revelation Mountain (0:00.00 - 0:07.56)
0:30.00 - 0:59.05 = Revelation Mountain (0:07.56 - 0:37.62)
1:00.00 - 1:15.00 = Revelation Mountain (0:00.00 - 0:07.56)
1:15.00 - 1:26.23 = Tree of Life (Roots) (0:11.49 - 0:19.85) atop Revelation Mountain (0:00.00 - 0:07.56)
1:30.00 - 1:57.82 = Revelation Mountain (1:49.29 - 2:03.26, 0:31.00 - 0:35.39)
2:00.94 - 2:02.83, 2:04.69 - 2:06.55, 2:08.12 - 2:10.95 = Revelation Mountain (0:07.56 - 0:37.62) [big polyrhythmic transition/shift!]
2:15.00 - 2:36.57 = Revelation Mountain (0:48.64 - 1:14.67) [mainly chord progression, plus the lead and the accompanying arpeggios]
2:37.50 - 2:51.88 = Tree of Life (Roots) (0:33.81 - 1:29.96)
2:51.88 - 3:07.50 = Final Fight (PMD2) (1:34.06 - 1:50.27) atop Tree of Life (Roots) (0:33.81 - 1:29.96)
3:07.50 - 3:37.50 = Revelation Mountain (1:48.36 - 2:03.26)
3:37.50 - 4:00.20 = Revelation Mountain (0:07.56 - 0:15.08) ["fade-out" via reverb automation]

15.00 + 29.05 + 15.00 + 11.23 + 27.82 + 1.89 + 1.86 + 2.87 + 21.57 + 14.38 + 15.62 + 30.00 + 22.70
= 208.99/246.00 = ~84.96%

Huh, nice soundtrack. I actually didn't expect much from the Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon game, so I'm pleasantly surprised by this source. Good pick.

The production is very clean, and it lets off a haunting ethereal atmosphere. The balance is nice, and the percussion is chosen in such a way that it doesn't overpower the more delicate arrangement. The flute that is used at 1:30 (as well as elsewhere) sounds a little artificial. The attack does have a tiny bit of volume swell that repeats for most notes, which sounds a little artificial. It's not a big deal (as you humanize the rest of it quite well), but I thought I'd point it out.

The arrangement makes sense, peaking and settling at all the appropriate places. I don't have too much to say, as the sources are clearly there. The chords at 2:30 - 2:34 don't make too much sense, to me (nor are they in the source, as you claim), but it's not so abrasive that it kills the arrangement, either.

Yeah, not much else I can say on this one - it sounds like solid arrangement.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting arrangement.  Generally great ambiance and pace.  I'm not sure about those coins samples though, they sounded clearly like coins being handled and not like some odd percussive element, which I think was what you were going for, in fact I noticed what they were before reading tim's writeup. They were a bit distracting for me, and i think some processing, or applied envelopes would've helped with the illusion.  

Weird selection of instruments aside, all the other textures and percussive elements worked for me, although some of the high-pitched percussion sounded a bit clicky.  The pads never feel static and the woodwinds are handled with attention to dynamics, although nothing too interesting is done with them, articulations-wise.

Overall solid, calm remix with great pacing.  Certainly unique adaptation of these sources.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/15 - (2Y) Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon 'CONNECTED!'
  • 2 months later...

I found the arrangement to be very evocative, great use of instrumentation to bring out the emotion throughout. The coin sampling didn't bother me like it did for Mike, but I can see his point. Overall the flow of the arrangement is very strong, and I enjoyed the overall ambiance. There's quite a few good tracks in all of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon soundtracks, and I always enjoy hearing some new mixes come through.

BTW, PSMD is actually a step up  in difficulty from the previous games, I found myself getting knocked out quite a few times due to not finding good items in the dungeon runs. Definitely try it out sometime if you looking for a decent challenge :)

YES

Nice atmosphere you've established here.  Production sounds super solid.  Nice work on the arrangement side as well with incorporating the themes.

Agreed on the coins sounding like...coins.  It works still, but just sayin. :)

Nice use of bass and percussion to bring up the energy level around the 2:30 mark.  The dynamics were spot on in this mix.

Not much else to say except :nicework:

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03493 - *YES* Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon "CONNECTED!"
  • Liontamer locked this topic