MGS2 'Veteran' *updated 21/12*

ellywu2

loved the sephiroth theme, love this one as well, try to bring the precussion out more at the begininning, love the horn sound with the sfz or whatever its called. Close to the end, the brass not doing the sfz thing sounds a little muddy, clean up a few sections, mix it a bit beter, and please make it longer cause its a little on the short side. keep the awesomeness up

Do I still have Veteran?....no, that's Dear John. nevermind.

but yes; definiately the Gregson-Williams/Zimmer vibe going on. the toms at the beginning sound a bit odd...i'm not sure what though.

i don't know what about the voice at the beginning, but it works, so no qualms there.

starting at 1:48 when the toms drop out it seems a bit empty between the percussion hits. might wanna throw in something there for transitions.

other than that, i would mistake this for a Zimmer/Gregson-Williams track on my iPod. nice work!

this is the kind of stuff that i wanna make...damn my crap computer :(

I love the production value behind this song, definitely fitting the military aspect of MGS. However, as said before, throw some extra stuff in the middle section to make it less meandering. And the brass section after the MGS theme sounds like a build-up to something that doesn't come. Perhaps a last rendition of the theme or a return of the quiet opening secion would help.

Other than that: a well-executed take, considering the popularity of the source material.

Great sound! One of my favorite themes! Since I know what you can do, I won't spend too much time complimenting, although well deserved. So I'll just get to it, a few things to work out:

The vocal at the beginning sounds great, a bit too great I think. I think the effect you're going for here is distance, it sounds like that vocalist is right in front of me, instead of under the mix, coming in and out. It's also a bit noisey to me, sounds like you did it on purpose though. Since nothing else in the mix is that noisey, it kinda sticks out.

I think a little less velocity on that piano and more volume would add some emotion, for the first time it plays.

The horn is in tune to me, but the attacks are late. I think it could use some verb too. I love horns that just fill a whole room.

Thought I heard some clipping too, but I streamed the song so I can't say for sure, sorry. On second listen I didn't hear it.

Nice work. Can't wait to hear finished.

Yep, that's great! I love the final part you added; the piece now really comes full-circle. A bit of doctoring on the horn would be good, and I felt that during the last rendition of the theme, the melody gets a bit drowned by the background brass. But other than that: Great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds excellent sir. I would suggest adding a bit more reverb on the piano. It's a little midi-ish when playing by itself and not in chords... especially when it first starts. I think a bit of reverb would help (or even some delay/echo)... the strings and wind instruments are very excellent in sound, composition, and style.

The brass hits around 2:30 are a bit flat. I think reverb would help there too. It will make it sound fuller. I might also suggest adding more heavier percussion as you start using those bombastic brass hits, because you're rising in epicness there but you retain the little bongo deals. I'd use some really heavy percussion like the bass drums that kick in every now and then. And maybe throw in some solos going on with that hot sound string instrument you got. Make that climax stand out. It's sounding great, but I think this could really sound like something straight off the Metal Gear Solid 2 Soundtrack if tweaked it some more. :)

Good luck. I'm impressed. I look forward to hearing more.

What sound sets are you using?

EDIT: Just realized you addressed the reverb thing in the post right above me. lol.

Wow this really sounds different from what I remember. I like the new intro.

The staccato brass that comes in at about 2:48 playing the main theme doesn't sound right or natural. Maybe because it's a sfz getting cut before it finishes the sample, not the best for staccato. I'm thinking just letting it play out would improve the sample sound, and give it some epic contrast as well.

Really impressed with the ethnic instruments. They almost sound live, heck maybe they are. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow dude this sweet, sends chills down my back. I feel like I'm watching "The Rock" for the first time in a long time.

Where's the ending? IMO Also towards the middle section it starts to feel a little repetative, I was wating for the breakout to come in a lil sooner.

Maybe come in with the breakout a lil sooner and then fade out in the end with the meloncholic melody. The fading into the distance type of feel.

This is friggin sweet.