OCR03486 - *YES* Mega Man 10 & 6 "Chivalrous Medicinal Murder"

djpretzel

Great to see Liam back, fantastic mix title, searing & badass performances... I'm thinking this one's a no-brainer, but let's see what y'all think... -djp

---

• Your ReMixer name: Magellanic
  • Your real name: Liam Charalambous
  • Your email address: 
  • Your userid: 45748
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Megaman 6, Megaman 10
  • Name of arrangement: Chivalrous Medicinal Murder
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Knightman stage theme, Abandoned Memory
  • Composer: Yuko Takehara,  Hiroki Isogai and Ippo Yamada

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEbrHadCI8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgP1yc1PpoU

Remix: 

Hello Panel, its been a while.

Well where to start?  This remix has quite a story.  Back in...I think 2011 was I entered the team Wily Remix Gauntlet with my chosen Robot Master, Knightman.  Throughout the the competition I remixed Knightman with various Wily themes.  Sadly all were lacking in production and/or arrangement quality.  Everyone loves Megaman tunes for good reason and a year later or so, fancied trying to clean up one of those old competition remixes.  I settled on Abandoned Memory with Knightman but gosh darn it, couldn't get the arrangement right, let alone production.  This remix was originally started in 2012....It has been recorded and rearranged probably about 6 times.  
For whatever reason this remix has been a massive block to me and I've not been able to like it in anyone of its forms.  Anyway, here in 2016, I don't get much time for music but wanted to just get this damn track finished.  Hopefully I can move on to something new without this track nagging in the back of my mind.
So...here it is.  It might be to some people's tastes, there's the old guitars and synths with a bit of chippy sprinkling.
As always, look forward to your feedback, pass or fail :)

Take care and hope all is well with you,

Liam

Well, this is a powerhouse of a track. Great arrangement of the sources, and some great performing. The layering of the two sources together in particular is great - using Knight Man's recognizeable intro as a rhythmic backing behind the Dr. Wily stage material was brilliant. There sounds like there's an off note at 2:07 in the synth part, like one of the notes is a half step lower than it should be. It's minor, but it's there.

The synths are awesome, and things feel like they're where they're supposed to be, mixing-wise. The whole track sounds very overcompressed, though. Everything is loud and in your face, but the whole track sounds like things are dipping in and out of the mix, based on how dense the music is at any point.

That overcompression isn't a dealbreaker, and the rest of the arrangement and performances really are amazing. I would actually love a cleaner submission of this, with the overcompression corrected (even if that means the arrangement will be a touch quieter), but this is a pass even if we don't get that. Awesome work!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This one is indeed a no-brainer.  Right off the bat it hits you with the chunky guitars and soaring synth lines that are simple but actually feel rich in texture.  Excellent production values here, and the arrangement is top notch as well, both sources are represented really well.  Guitar performances are powerful and show excellent musicianship.  This Mega Man 10 track is, in my opinion, one of the best Mega Man songs ever made, and this remix totally does it justice.  I don't have much to add here since this is way above our bar.  plz post.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/03/05 - (2Y) Mega Man 6 & 10 'Chivalrous Medicinal Murder'
  • 4 months later...

Good instrumentation across the track - dropping instruments in and out as the arrangement progresses to keep things moving. Synths accompany the guitars well, both sections complement each other. Parts are panned well and mostly sit in their own space, making them easily audible.

Over compression is definitely present here, and is the main flaw with your production. There is a bit of pump to the track that doesn't suit here, causing some subtle unwanted distortion at times. In addition, the drums are a bit on the mechanical side, with the snare rolls sounding machine gunny and lacking tonal variety on each hit. Drums are also muffled compared to the rest of the track.

Not a bad mix. Over compression stuck out easily, likely due to everything else being so well done. I certainly think had your arrangement not been as good, this would've carried more negative weight. Because the others don't feel it's a big problem, I won't hold it back here for this, but it is certainly something you should tone back in future mixes.

YES

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03486 - *YES* Mega Man 10 & 6 "Chivalrous Medicinal Murder"
  • Liontamer locked this topic