OCR03570 - *YES* Final Fantasy 12 "Dream of Salikawood"

djpretzel

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/07 - Final Fantasy 12 'Dream of Salikawood'

This is pretty darn good. In the beginning the arrangement feels like it sticks pretty close to the source, but it takes some interesting harmonic liberties later on into the track, and it purposely retains the ethereal quality that the source starts off with (whereas the source builds into something more majestic). It's close, but I think there's just enough reinterpretation for this to pass on the arrangement front.

The orchestration is pretty good, although sometimes with the backing textures it feels a bit static. The flute sometimes loses its place in the mix when it goes into its lower range (like at 1:59), though it's not too prominent an issue. The strings sound like their release cuts short from time to time in order to make room for the swelling attacks - listen to the backing strings at 1:10 - 1:12 for an example of this. Let the strings release a little more naturally - reverb alone should have the strings have at least a little sound bleeding into the next, unless you have the strings decrescendo prior to the next chord they play (which you do for other string parts in this track, such as the strings at 1:25). Overall, though, these issues are quite minor - the humanization is very well done in this arrangement.

The overall volume of this is needlessly quiet. I can push an extra dB by simply importing the song into Audacity and amplifying it without affecting the production quality at all. A rule of thumb - if you can raise the volume of the track without introducing any production errors at all, you should do so.

Otherwise, I think this is a pretty good arrangement. It's conservative, but I feel there are some subtle changes that occur in some of the reharmonization and the retention in the overall ethereal feel that give this just enough reinterpretation, for me. I can see others knocking it down on it being too conservative, but I think it's okay, on that front. Nice work, I hope to hear this on the front page.

YES

• 3 months later...

This definitely has a lot of your style in regards to staying close to the source and adding some subtle personalization. In regards to our standards I always feel like you are just sitting the line in terms of the personalization, but I think this one gets it done in the right way. I definitely appreciate the effort you spent to keep the ethereal quality of the original, and I can definitely hear some of the strong qualities of the original enhanced here. I agree that some parts of the track feel a touch static, but it's not a deal breaker here for me.

Always fun to listen to your submissions, even if they aren't totally OCR-compliant. Keep sending us more tracks!

YES

I was on the fence on this one at the beginning.  The first half of this mix follows essentially the same progression, flow, and even instrumentation to the original track.  I do hear the subtle changes introduced, but these feel secondary to the song as a whole.  It feels not so much a sound upgrade as a recreation of the original track in many respects.  It isn't until around the 2-minute mark until we get meaningful variation on the original.  After that point, though, the track switches gears and we get a lot more interpretation and personalization for the remainder.

On the whole, it's a very nice sounding track.  No major production issues that I heard, though I agree volume could come up and there were some minor sequencing issues on the strings in the faster note runs.

There's definitely more room to explore on the arrangement side in the first two minutes, but the second half pushes it just over the bar for me on the arrangement side.

YES (borderline)

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/03/07 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 12 'Dream of Salikawood'

Well first thing that I noticed about this track is that it's really quiet, it made me check my volume levels to see if I had changed them but nope, it's just mixed very low.  Since this isn't a bombastic, epic arrangement and it's more on the subtle, dreamlike side, it doesn't affect the track much.  This style is something we've come to expect from miss Tripp, and her mastery of this type of arrangements is only getting better with each song.

One thing that I've come to expect as well is her arrangements to be a little on the conservative side.  This one starts as such, but evolves pretty well over time and when we reach the second section there's plenty of interpretation going on and it all transitions very well into a cohesive arrangement.  The flow feels a little static at times, and I think more work could've been done with the dynamics of the whole arrangement to give it more up and downs but this works well as it is.

Regarding the production I don't have much to say, instrument quality could always be better but you do a great job with what you have and there's quite a bit of detailing work done with the humanization of your performances.

Overall solid track that has a very graceful and sometimes ethereal sound.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03570 - *YES* Final Fantasy 12 "Dream of Salikawood"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic