Composition vs Production? Which matters more?

5 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

I doubt most of us are going to work on ANY movie soundtrack, even independent VODs, what does the focus on cinema matter to the central question?

I suppose I could just read the topic for that answer, but since so much of it is just quoting ENTIRE MULTI-PARAGRAPH POSTS and wanking off academically, I might not find it.

It matters because the question was what matters more to people. If you're just speaking in the general sense, composition is, but I think we all know that it goes deeper than that.

Because in music where the composition is simplistic, redundant or textural, your ability to create a good recording with high-quality, impressive sounds is paramount because without it, the music isn't very interesting. Horror film scores are the perfect example of this.

5 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

I doubt most of us are going to work on ANY movie soundtrack, even independent VODs, what does the focus on cinema matter to the central question?

I suppose I could just read the topic for that answer, but since so much of it is just quoting ENTIRE MULTI-PARAGRAPH POSTS and wanking off academically, I might not find it.

So... you said nothing. Absolutely nothing.

On 7/4/2016 at 4:47 PM, Neifion said:

John Williams orchestrates his own stuff. I've seen his handwritten scores for Hook and Jurassic Park, film versions with full orchestra, each section written out. Also, the John Williams Signature Edition scores from Hal Leonard are all orchestrated by him as well.

A better example might be Alan Menken, who just did the basic melodic sketches for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc. on the piano and then had his music arranged and orchestrated into the symphonic expansions heard in the movies.

John WIlliams does have an orchestration team, but yes his sketches are so detailed they only have to worry about piecing it so it's playable. Orchestration sometimes is simply making it so the parts are playable. Even pros have difficult on some instruments with certain intervals and such.

33 minutes ago, Nathan Allen Pinard said:

John WIlliams does have an orchestration team, but yes his sketches are so detailed they only have to worry about piecing it so it's playable. Orchestration sometimes is simply making it so the parts are playable. Even pros have difficult on some instruments with certain intervals and such.

Yes, but I was just pointing out that following your definition of composition -  "a basic lead sheet. The melody/lyrics and chords " - John Williams does more than just composition.

1 hour ago, Neifion said:

Yes, but I was just pointing out that following your definition of composition -  "a basic lead sheet. The melody/lyrics and chords " - John Williams does more than just composition.

Gotcha. Orchestration honestly is different job wise depending on the composer you are working for. I've orchestrated for an artist, and it was writing orchestration to a piano track, or a vocal. Her copyist is who translated all of that to properly designed sheet music. Not even one note changed. The role changes depending I guess.

16 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

It's not hard to get a movie gig (as in ANY kind of movie with ANY budget). It's just whether you are paid for it that's tough. There are a ton of college projects out there looking for composers, but no budget. It's a sound way to start. It's how I did. Not to mention Youtubers look for that as well, but it's harder due to the competition of music libraries.

@Nathan Allen Pinard There's not really a need to separate orchestration and composition in terms of this discussion, as we aren't talking about the strict industry definitions of these terms but rather the general concepts, especially in the context of how OC ReMix dominantly talks about the musical process (which is very different than how it's talked about in the industry).