Cinematic Studio Strings Released

I just caught wind of this and wanted to let those that orchestrate and like strings in their mixes: http://www.cinematicstudioseries.com/

$400 USD isn't terrible for a full set of strings, with con sordino (real sounding too!), also repeats of the same note which is tough  It's on my must buy list for sure.

If you have bought from these guys before, check your email. They are giving coupons for those that bought previous volumes.

Just bought it! The sound is precise, clear and lush. With all the articulations you can create some of the most authentic sounding string lines imaginable!

It does use quite a bit of ram with all the mics activated however it barely uses any cpu. A 3.5gb patch only uses about 7% of my cpu :) 

10/10

Gorgeous!

Don Bodin asked me to do a little more detailed comparison of out of box sounds between CSS and CS2. Here you are:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15510436/File Sharing/Sole Theme for Sample Library Review.rar

This contains the naked theme in 8 versions. Four mics for CSS and four mics for CS2. No mixing, panning, EQ. No external verb. All nki's are set to default -6.0dB and mic volumes are set to 0.0db. MIDI Data shown in screenshots (as you can see, there's barely any humanization done).

Here are the notes from the RAR:

I've put here some notes to explain this whole set of materials.

First of all, this is a trailer cue I wrote for an iOS game I am doing music for. The website can be found here: http://www.gossamer-games.com/

When the strings begin the theme, they appear in this order:

1. 1st Violins (measure 1)
2. Violas (measure 3)
3. Cellos (measure 5)
4. Basses (measure 7)
5. 2nd Violins (measure 8 )

I've rendered the screenshots such that the layers appear in that order, just as a fun insight to the composition.
Each MIDI rendering contains the CC1 and velocity data for that channel. The MIDI data are "Shared Clips" which are identical automation, notes, and velocities between the CS2 and CSS tracks.

Absolutely nothing was mixed, or tweaked. Everything was normalized to 0.0db mic volume, -6.0dB Kontakt nki volume (the default). No panning or EQ, no external reverb. What you hear is exactly what comes in the library when you launch it.

The MIDI data is very minimally programmed. The point is to show how easy and playable it is out of the box, not necessarily to show how powerful and extensive the libraries are.

There are 8 renderings of this MIDI data. They are each of the 4 mic options for both Cinematic Studio Strings and Cinematic Strings 2.

My own personal thoughts: I like the slow legato of CSS better, it feels more apparent and satisifying, but once they both come into full voicing in the theme, both libraries sound pretty amazing. Just goes to show, CS2 is still an incredibly strong and good-sounding library. I don't consider CSS a replacement for it, I think they both have a solid tone that's useful depending on application. On a pure value perspective for the composer who doesn't have all the money in the world, I'd recommend CSS to any newcomer simply because it's a little more refined in the interface and has a wider set of articulations.