New PC: how to setup for good music production?

So, long story short, I'm getting a new PC this month (my first real PC, beause I only had laptops until now). I have 2 IT friends who are helping me choosing good materials and stuff, so I'm not too worried about performances/power and such. The new PC will be used for gaming, video stuff, and, of course, music production.

Now here's the real question: how should I prepare my computer to have a good music prod setup? By that, I'd like to know if I should install my DAW on a certain drive, if libraires are to be put in SSD or HDD drives, etc. What are the best tips to avoid long loading times, low performance, etc.?

This is could end up being a small guide/FAQ for newbies (like me lol). Thanks in advance for your time and help! :D And sorry if it had already been asked!

(I use FL Studio + Kontakt libraries but I guess the setup could be the same for a different DAW/stuff.)

Just built my monster rig a few months ago.  If there's any advice I could give it would be to make getting a Fractal Design Case like the R5 a priority.  It makes building the pc a breeze, cable management is practically taken care of for you and the thing runs so silently that the hum of the fridge from 2 rooms over drowns out the fan noise.  

To avoid problems I use 2 harddrives with a seperate OS on each.  i keep my music SSD offline except to update a few programs here or there and use a 2TB HDD for my online endeavors and gaming. Definitely get latencymon to see if anything burdens your CPU and don't install everything that comes with your motherboard.  I made that mistake and had to waste time uninstalling a bunch of stuff to decrease the load on the CPU.  

If you haven't yet definitely watch this video too.  It'll give you a picture of what you need to streamline things for yourself.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm probably too late to reply to this but it might help someone else. Use the largest ssd that you can afford as your main drive and also install your music programs and libraries on that drive. 500 gig would be best. Then have another regular drive and install games, steam etc to that drive. If using orchestral libraries then 16 gig of ram should help everything run smoothly.