OCR01516 - Super Mario Bros. "Super Mario Blues"

djpretzel

Been a year now since Neskvartetten last posted a new jazzy arrangement, so seeing their name on the remix column gave me a smile to begin my morning with.

The beginning was a little subtle, the drums began to move and the guitarist tried playing some tunes, but it wasn't until 0:44 that I felt that this jazz session had started for real. Then it all flowed naturally. I could easily recognize the Super Mario theme, they played it well but had plenty of their own ideas and variations, I particuliarly liked the guitar (or maybe it was the organ?) that started to play on its own at 1:19. Good stuff.

Smooth, groovy, woonderful. Fantastic arrangement and collaboration as well, I like it alot.

Hehehe, this mix here has some really cool sounding drum-set work. I love that funky little riff the snare drum plays throughout the song. It provides a great little background rhythem to go with this funky song.

I'm not precisely sure why this is titled "Super Mario Blues" as it's a lot jazzier and peppier than a blues song. There's no slow, depressing rhythem to make it feel like a blues piece. The song is still quite good though and is quite easy, and enjoyable to listen to. Although this is one of those source tunes that basically anyone will recognize, it's a nice butchering of the original song to get something a bit more unique.

It's not quite jazz, it's not quite funk, and it's not quite blues. I dunno what the heck to call it, other than good of course. :P It's a piece that is now on my hard-drive and I recommend at least giving it a listen to everyone!

It's been a while since I heard something from Neskvartetten, so it's good this mix came up. Once again, it does not disappoint staying with the mellow blues/jazz style, like the Link Goes to New Orleans mix. The classic theme on guitar is incorporated well with the rest of the ensemble and is enjoyable to have one while doing work. So yes, keep these coming!

Are you sure this mix wasn't supposed to be on OLremix? I'm not feeling this mix at all. It sounds off-key and out-of-synch. Like Mario was high on shrooms when he started playing.

Hey, wait a second...

that was the point, wasn't it?

In that case, good job. :D

Two things typically make up blues music: the 12-bar blues chord progression and the style and theme. It's probably safe to say Neskvartetten is much more of a jazz band than a blues band, but many jazz artists play songs in a 12-bar blues pattern, and in the jazz world, use of the term blues generally means just using the 12-bar pattern.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01516 - Super Mario Bros. "Super Mario Blues"