Chimpazilla

Hey there,

Remixer name: Jorito
Website(s):
Userid: 3899

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Castlevania 1, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

Name of Arrangement: Kill The Groove

Names of songs arranged: Sorrow’s Distortion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db28R9LZBN4),  Wicked Child (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7PFm7mrdVY), Vampire Killer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLgBmO4ppY)

Comments about the mix:

Another track for the loser bracket in the Castlevania: Cacaphony of Incarnation compo on OCR. I was pretty inspired by http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03319 to give glitch hop a shot. So I did some research in what glitch hop actually means and started working. Cycling to work (always good for idea generation!) I came up with some additional ideas to add some weird vocoded lyrics in there, some acoustic drums and vocal sfx from Ecclesia and also threw in a nudge to Vampire Killer, just because. Unfortunately due to deadline pressure and these it didn’t really turn into glitch hop, but I found the end result to be pretty enjoyable nonetheless.

No source breakdown this time, because it should be pretty straightforward. However, there are bits and pieces of Wicked Child all over the place. After working with this source for the 4th or 5th time you really can milk it for all its worth and squeeze out some parts to inject them here and there :)

Lyrics are notably silly because I didn’t take this track to be very serious, and anyway, it seems to fit the track.

Lyrics:

Wicked Child, do the dance, make a move
Crack the whip, kill the groove
Crack the whip, before I kill the groove

Wicked Child, do the dance, make a move
Crack the whip before I kill the groove

Wicked Child, with your Heart of Fire
Dance all night to feed your dark desire

Into the castle, down into the lair
Dance with the devil, there is no despair

Crack the whip and step into the groove
Dracula, he makes your body move
(2x)

Body move
Body move 
Crack the whip, before I kill the groove

Feel the beat
Kill the groove
Feel the beat
That makes your body move
(2x)

And let nobody kill the groove

Cheers,
Jorrith

This is pretty darn cool.  I like the filtered intro.  The vocoded lyrics are excellent.  The lead synth timbre is a little bit dry.  Lots of good backing arps and ear candy.  I like the acoustic drum cameos.  I like the arrangement although is suffers from a bit of samey-ness, but there are nice harmonies and backing elements thrown in to the repeated sections to mix it up.  The arrangement could really use a drumless breakdown somewhere, to give the listener a break from the relentless beat.  I love how you wove in Vampire Killer, it's subtle and fits perfectly.  Overall, it works for me.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/03/25 - (1Y) Castlevania & Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia 'Kill the Groove'

Damn, this is awesome as shit. I can recognize the sources right off the bat, but they're all incorporated together seemlessly. The arrangement is amazing.

The instrumentation is eclectic (I love eclectic), and those vocoded vocals are amazing. The only thing I can find that could be improved would be the clarity of the vocoded vocals' lyrics, but they're honestly pretty legible, as far as vocoded vocals go.

Yeah, easiest pass in a while. Great work, Jorito!

YES

Excellent textures and drum work, I'm getting some heavy Gramatik vibes here.  Arrangement is top-notch, and vocoders are a soft spot of mine, so it's no wonder I love this.  I do have to say that when the vocoded lyrics first come up, they aren't clear and mesh too much with the background sustained synths.  I also think that the overall mix could've been clearer, in some of the heavy sections the drums duck out a little, and the vocoded section obscures some of the leads at times.  I think sections like 03:00 and on would've been served better if the vododed bits "feel the beat, that make your body move" worked in a more call-and-response way with the leads, but when they play together they get a little busy.   Anyways none of that would hold this track back, but there's room to improve!.

Nice Work.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/03/25 - (3Y) Castlevania & Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia 'Kill the Groove'
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03622 - *YES* Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia & Castlevania "Kill the Groove"
  • Liontamer locked this topic