OCR03687 - *YES* Turrican 3 "Homecoming"

Chimpazilla

"Homecoming"

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkg6ZJsrMM

Level99 and OA

A pretty nice track we worked on together, finishing it up when Stevo flew out to visit me in MN. I love the theme, and I think we added some nice new ideas to an already great song. This has been sitting on my hard drive for a few years and i think maybe it's time for people to be able to hear it. :-)

Stevo- Steel-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, drum programming
Andrew - Nylon-string guitar, electric guitar, keyboards

Lots to like here, really nice performances by both gentlemen!  I really like this arrangement too, great mood shifts and energy changes.  The drumming gets a little static in most of the first half (most notable from 2:58-3:34), then gets crazy-creative in the second half.  I think the track is mastered too hot, -7.7db RMS might be a little high for such a mellow track, and I hear some distortion here and there mostly in the first half when the soundscape is more exposed.  If you wanted to master this a little more quietly before it hits the front page, that would be greeeeeeeat.  Mkay?  Thanks a bunch.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/03/30 - (1Y) Turrican 3 'Homecoming'

Pfft, it's always nice when people make this job easy. Andrew and Stevo made my job easy, here - great arrangement, great performances, great production values. I have nothing but good things to say, here - the guitars are clean, backing instruments complement everything great (piano and marimba are well incorporated), and the change in pace midway is a great way to keep things interesting.

Great work!

YES

Once you hear the original, you can see why anyone would want to arrange it. Huelsbeck crafted a beautiful ending theme that lends itself well to relaxing instrumentation like Andrew and Stevo employed for the first half. Ramping up the second half was a creative change of pace, even though the first half was so relaxing that I'd have had 0 problem with the entire track being paced that way. Source usage was nice and straightforward, and the arrangement was excellent. Stamp of rubber!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/30 - (3Y) Turrican 3 'Homecoming'

Just gonna say, listening to this source I can definitely see it being a Stevo/Andrew remix pick.  

Great arrangement work and performances.  Great contrast throughout in energy and instruments used.  

The speedup felt slightly sudden to me, but it works.

Nitpick alert: a couple odd sounding note choices around 4:24 on lead guitar.

Mastering feels a bit hot to me.  It sounds like some audio squashing on the low end due to overcompression (when kick, bass, and open hihat hit all at the same time).  Not calling it a dealbreaker, but it does bug me as I listen.  If everything else wasn't so strong, I could see myself sending this back for some level tweaks.

That said, the rest of the track clicks in pretty much every other way.  Good stuff, guys.

YES

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/03/30 - *YES - TAG* Do artists want remaster? - Turrican 3 'Homecoming'
  • Nutritious locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/30 - *YES - TAG* - Turrican 3 'Homecoming'