OCR00564 - Streets of Rage "Retouch the Boss (Short Edit)"

orkybash

Streets of Rage 'Retouch the Boss (Short Edit)'

Solid techno track here. Highlight is, as djp pointed out, the ingenious siren effects. If there's one thing to complain about, it's the lack of melodic content for most of it, but it's easy enough to get lost in the driving beats that you don't even notice. If this is a short edit, I'd really be interested in hearing the whole thing! Definitely a worthwhile download.

• 1 year later...

I remembered facing off the bosses in Streets of Rage, probably one of the best beat-em-up games of all-time. It was a nice techno song. Loved the beats too and the use of some sirens. There isn't really any other music that can be done here, but it was a great song.

What I don't get is why only djPretzel reviewed this song!!!!

• 1 month later...
What I don't get is why only djPretzel reviewed this song!!!

Seconded. The fact that this song hasn't (apparently) garnered any attention is an absolute crime. Though I admit that I'm someone biased towards high-tempo techno remixes on this site, I really think that you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to give this excellent song a listen. As djp mentions, the siren effects are just fantastic, I think you'd be hard pressed to not rewind and give them a listen. Additionally, I like how the song begins on somewhat of a slow note with the cars passing by, pulls you in with the bass hits, then starts going at a break-neck pace only to mellow out once again as the track concludes. This one's definitely going to be in my playlist for a considerable time.

HAha...funny thing cause just last night i forced my friend to get his Sega Genesis system out and we played some Streets of Rage! LOL then today i see this mix on here...haha :P

Oh well lets see now *goes to download it*

hmm! This mix is alrite, doesnt really work for me that much! Maybe its the techno style (even though im a huge fan of techno music), just the way stuff is put together isnt very favourable with me, i like the main rhythm and beat tho!

Keep working at it tho :)

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

"Green ReMix needs melody badly!"

So I am traveling through this dungeon with my homies Green ReMix, Yellow Phat beatz, and some other dude, I forget who; who cares anyways?

Anyways, we are running around bustin stuff up and all of a sudden, we see some scrumptious melody right behind a ghost generator and a bunch of ghosts.

Being the total dick that he is, Yellow Phat beatz totally caps the melody!

"Yellow Phat beatz has shot the melody!"

Seriously, who does he think he is? We can't finish the dungeon with just Phat beatz alone, we need to work as a team.

It's not to the point where "Green ReMix is about to die", but some extra melody wouldn't hurt. Yellow Phat beatz just needs to chill, imo.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
"Green ReMix needs melody badly!"

So I am traveling through this dungeon with my homies Green ReMix, Yellow Phat beatz, and some other dude, I forget who; who cares anyways?

Anyways, we are running around bustin stuff up and all of a sudden, we see some scrumptious melody right behind a ghost generator and a bunch of ghosts.

Being the total dick that he is, Yellow Phat beatz totally caps the melody!

"Yellow Phat beatz has shot the melody!"

Seriously, who does he think he is? We can't finish the dungeon with just Phat beatz alone, we need to work as a team.

It's not to the point where "Green ReMix is about to die", but some extra melody wouldn't hurt. Yellow Phat beatz just needs to chill, imo.

Lol, OA sums it up well here. Guantlet references aside, this comes across as a lot of focus on backing elements without much melodic content. Square-ish lead does enter later, but doesn't do much to lift the track up IMO.

On the positive side, you can tell a lot of effort was put into integrating different sound effects and getting some contrast out of them to support the mix.

It's an all-right ambient track, but nothing else is really pulling me in about it to be honest. It sounds like a lot of repeated sound effects, although admittedly with an okay structure behind it. I can see this as a short 15-second clip or an interlude, but not as a full song on its own. KF

• 4 weeks later...

Ok man the siren is all types of win.

I'm not really sure what to think of this, let alone how to put those confuddled thoughts into words. This is just... huh....

This is the type of thing you play in a club where you have black lights and lots of neon paint sprayed on the walls, flashing lights going off everywhere and nobody actually is listening to the song because they are all just too damn happy to care about anything except dancing.

That in mind, this mix is exactly that. Something that you mix in when dj'ing and don't worry about it. The people that are there listening to this will love you for putting on a video game track (if they recognize it) and everyone else will just keep dancing. Yeah......

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Considering this is from 2002, it's not a bad track; I might've fallen in love with this due to my fascination with the genre at the time. Even then it might've split some people apart with the random sound effects thrown in, but I didn't see it to be too big a distractant.

It's a hard source tune to arrange too given that it's mostly groove-dominated, but it's been broken down enough to form enough room for interpretation. Nowadays it may pale now with its more minimalist writing and repetitive nature, but for what it is it sounded pretty decent depending on one's SFX tolerance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00564 - Streets of Rage "Retouch the Boss (Short Edit)"