OCR01517 - Super Mario Bros. "Moisturor"

djpretzel

Hahaha, now THIS is a pretty cool remix. That light and bouncy underwater theme that we all can probably recognize so easily. I swear the underwater theme sticks in my head a lot easier than the main theme does.

Despite the mainly guitar lead in this song, the remix still keeps that light and bouncy feel the surce had as it bounds along into harder and softer areas. There's a decent amount of original work in here to help stretch out the remix some more and make it more interesting to listen to. This is one of those remixes that you could just picture being used as a song for something's credits to scroll by to.

As with almost all the remixes that I really like on this site, the production quality is high and everything goes together quite smoothly. I really like the parts during the sound where the guitar takes those three ascending notes of the main melody. It sounds kinda like Mario's swimming upward to the rhythm.

I'm quite happy to finally see an exceptional remix of this source tune. It's pretty well my favourite from the original game and to give it such a well-deserved reworking pleases me greatly.

Congrats to the remixer on putting together a fine arrangement indeed. I recommend this to everyone since it has a nice and unique feel to it. You've got to at least listen to it once.

Oh man, this is friggin sweet. Piano, guitar, strings, it's all in there. The feeling changes though the whole arrangement, but overall it's mellow but at the same time energic.

This remix envoked the true potentials of Koji's water theme, and made no errors along the way. Excellent job.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This remix is so awesome. So awesome! It's like if Genesis and Pink Floyd were locked in a room with nothing but twelve televisions and a giant hookah, got high and played video games nonstop for three weeks, went directly to a studio, decided that Phil Collins wasn't allowed to sing, and vomited all of their pent-up musicianship into the glorious paper bag we call ocremix.

At any rate, after listening to what you have to offer here... you need to start songwriting, if you haven't already. I mean, with the kind of theory knowledge and talent you display with just these three songs... it's mind-blowing, it really is. Keep up the great work.

P.S. I've just made it a life goal to jam with you.

• 1 year later...

Ilp0's music style is sortof like audio steampunk. All kinds of seemingly random elements thrown together to make a completely amazing finished work that sounds meticulously planned, and beautiful to behold.

I especially like how each phrase is played with slides down on the guitar, making it seem like the passage is sinking back into the water, only to be buoyed up again by the next one. It's like the musical version of the game's actual swimming mechanics.

The drums are varied and creative without becoming too busy, and there are lots of great panned elements that swirl around the song's core. The original B section was fantastic, and all of the arrangement ideas worked well.

Complete genius. Highly recommended.

• 11 months later...

If this was made to loop successfully, you could have convinced me this was a track from Smash Bros. Brawl I haven't unlocked yet. The quality of arrangement is as professional as you can get. And like a lot of tracks from Brawl, it's taken something quite simple yet iconic and turned it into something that holds a crystal clear memory of the music it is covering, while also building some damn fine new musical memories for the future.

A prime example on how to handle a remix of a track known and loved for its simplicity. Not an easy thing to tamper with, but the payoff is brilliant.

• 10 months later...

Light, bouncy, peaceful and overall, an instant classic. Just being able to make a theme that seemed to loop every thirty seconds last about four minutes sound this good is almost criminal. The piano and guitars bring on that great idea that someone else said about being a hidden track on Brawl. Great job!

• 7 years later...

I'm not sure what I expected based on the source material, but it certainly not this.  My familiarity with the source was working against me on this one, but the remix is done so well that eventually I snapped out of it and actually listened to what I was hearing.  Waaaay deeper than I though this was going to be!  Excellent!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01517 - Super Mario Bros. "Moisturor"