Sonic Mania

DarkeSword

14 hours ago, Slimy said:

Hi, I'm this threads Devil's advocate now. Remember how great it was when they "went back" with Sonic the Hedgehog 4? Ok I'm done here.

Sonic 4 sucked because they had DIMPS work on it.

I should probably point out...Whitehead/Headcannon's "ports" were not ports. The games were straight-up rewritten from the ground up.

There are two ways this can go wrong: level design and physics, and Sonic 4 got both utterly wrong. The physics part is covered by Whitehead & Headcannon's experience with the remakes - level design is the big issue I think, but level design also relies a lot on how the physics work, so even if the level designers suck, the game will likely play better than any of Sonic 4 did anyway.

EDIT: To better explain why this is awesome: these two dudes are known as Stealth and Taxman over on Sonic Retro. They were extremely active players in the Sonic hacking community and made some really impressive proof-of-concepts (IIRC this includes an actual GBA port of Sonic 1 that was superior than the actual thing Sega put out). They got hired by Sega to handle the remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and CD.

Apparently a project they were working on, Sonic Megamix, got unceremoniously cancelled in favor of something else they were working on - which has now turned out to be this!

1 hour ago, Neblix said:

Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors were awesome, dude.

yes! finally someone i can agree with on these matters!

of course '06 was bad but every game since then has been far more competent than people have been admitting to.  

Sonic Unleashed-Awesome ...despite some things.

Sonic Colors-Awesome

Sonic Generations-Awesome

Sonic 4 Ep1- ...was a good effort!

Sonic 4 EP2- Awesome

Sonic Boom-Doesn't exist; never did.  really. 

13 hours ago, Garpocalypse said:

yes! finally someone i can agree with on these matters!

of course '06 was bad but every game since then has been far more competent than people have been admitting to.  

Sonic Unleashed-Awesome ...despite some things.

Sonic Colors-Awesome

Sonic Generations-Awesome

Sonic 4 Ep1- ...was a good effort!

Sonic 4 EP2- Awesome

Sonic Boom-Doesn't exist; never did.  really. 

Eh.... I'm not quite over there, you're still a little alone. :P Sonic 4 was really not good, and Unleashed was like half good, but fell short through the tedium of its requirements that you collect a shit ton of medals to progress.

13 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Sonic 4 was not a good effort. Sonic 4 was a travesty.

Ironical statements don't seem to come across well on forum speak. :P

The game dropped the ball in so many ways that i'm sure many a sonic fan was in denial over how bad it was.  From the boring level design right down to Jun Senoue's work which seemed like half assed attempts at direct covers of Nakamura's classics.  

On the other hand Episode 2 was a significantly better game but not good enough to reverse the let down that was sonic 4 ep. 1

53 minutes ago, DarkeSword said:

That's generous.

It's how the project started out. Then some bigwigs at the company thought "hey, let's slap a different name on this and market it as a mainline sequel!"

Not really an uncommon industry tactic either. EA did the same thing with Command & Conquer 4 (initially a spinoff F2P online game), and probably Dragon Age 2 as well from what I've heard.

It's an excellent way of eroding consumer trust in your brands.

Oh I didn't know that; I thought you were joking. I said "that's generous" because I actually like mobile games.

What a travesty though. I'm glad Taxman and Stealth showed SEGA that people do still give a crap about quality, and I'm glad that certain folks at SEGA seem to be receptive to this kind of thing. When Taxman remade Sonic 1 for mobile, SEGA could have charged for it going for the double-dip, but instead they released it as a free update to their previously crappy port.

Now if only we could get Sonic 3 & Knuckles remade in the new engine.