DarkeSword

Sonic Mania

37 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, PosiBolt said:

I'm really digging the stage music they've released so far:

I'm glad "going back" doesn't also include using only Genesis-esque sounds, (i.e. - Sonic 4,) which would show a very shallow understanding of why classic Sonic worked.

I come from the future to announce that, yes, Sonic Mania is an amazing game.

I don't even like the Sonic series that much (S3&K being the only objectively great game even from the classic series... fight me), but Mania freakin' nailed it. The final boss could've used some more pizzazz than was present (even the penultimate boss in S&K was a monolithic mech - so awesome), but otherwise the level design, the music, the feel of the gameplay... it's all great.

I can't say 'Sonic is BACK, baby!', but he did have at least one more amazing game in line with the original spirit, at least.

Sonic Mania is honestly the Sonic game I've been waiting for since Sonic & Knuckles. It's pitch-perfect in its physics and aesthetics.

I picked it up on Switch and am constantly playing it. The music is incredible. I got all the Chaos Emeralds with every character. The only things left I need to do are get all the emblems from the Blue Sphere stages, but I'm probably not going to do that. I've played enough Blue Sphere in my life back when I was a kid. xD

I hope they make another one.

21 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

The only things left I need to do are get all the emblems from the Blue Sphere stages, but I'm probably not going to do that. I've played enough Blue Sphere in my life back when I was a kid. xD

Heh, there's a great place to grind out the Blue Sphere medals, if you ever want to just hammer it out in an hour or so for completionists' sake: Stage 1, Act 2 has two posts that are about 5-10 seconds apart from one another. Easy to bounce from one special stage to another by simply running up a hill to one pole then back down to the other pole again and again. The state of the savepoints resets when you go through a special stage, so this can be repeated indefinitely.

Of course you could also just despise blue sphere, which is a different problem altogether, but the rewards for doing them are pretty nifty (loving the playable copy of Mean Bean Machine and "& Knuckles" that gets unlocked, for example). The stage that is literally just a single spiralling path to the center takes forever, is a mental drain and is challenging for the wrong reason (you go cross-eyed looking at the same thing for two minutes straight getting to the center, urgh)... It's the worst, I hear you on that.

You can also utilize Debug Mode to get a bunch of rings and then spawn a checkpoint near another checkpoint. 

6 minutes ago, Mirby said:

You can also utilize Debug Mode to get a bunch of rings and then spawn a checkpoint near another checkpoint. 

But don't you need medals to access Debug Mode to get more medals...?

I mean that would work great later in the collection process, but still... lol.

That's fair, and from my research you need half of them to get Debug Mode, but once you're there it certainly streamlines the process.

Plus you only need silvers, golds are just for the trophies/achievements.

58 minutes ago, Pipez said:

Forgot to post this yesterday, but the trailer for Sonic Mania Plus dropped...

been playing this on steam since it launched but I am definitely going to have to buy a physical copy just for that classic genesis reversible cover.