Super Metroid - Red Brinstar

In the intro, without the context of any of the other instruments, the timing of the delay on the bell is a bit awkward. There's nothing to indicate what the beat is, so it sounds like it's skipping ahead each new note. Having said that though, I think the intro sounds a bit dull in general, and that more instruments, perhaps gradually being layered on, is exactly what it needs. Perhaps you could change the delay timing on the bell anyways though, for variety sake.

As long as there was some more variations and new instruments, I think I'd like to see the length extended a bit.

3 hours ago, Slimy said:

In the intro, without the context of any of the other instruments, the timing of the delay on the bell is a bit awkward. There's nothing to indicate what the beat is, so it sounds like it's skipping ahead each new note. Having said that though, I think the intro sounds a bit dull in general, and that more instruments, perhaps gradually being layered on, is exactly what it needs. Perhaps you could change the delay timing on the bell anyways though, for variety sake.

As long as there was some more variations and new instruments, I think I'd like to see the length extended a bit.

Alrighty. I slowed down the bell in the beginning (it adds a lot more to the beginning) which hopefully should help indicate what the beat is. I changed the pacing up a bit, changed the percussion up a little and just added a few effects? or something along those lines heh. I also put in a new end which I think sounds awesome although i really dont know if it fits. Just trying to make it mine! I think something i need to work on just after listening to all this is adding variation in volume to the percussion.

Version 2 - 

13 minutes ago, Slimy said:

I haven't listened to the second version too closely yet, but right now - I didn't say that you should change the delay of the bell for the entire song! I liked it, I only thought it was a problem at the beginning when it was playing by itself.

haha well ive already made changes to bells later in the song anyways :P. Little faster and more reverb. Really though most of what im focusing on is the ending. Cant tell if the Sax VST sounds out of place or not :?

I like the new take on the lead melody.

Structurally, this seems to be composed of a handful of distinct elements: the intro bell, the minor key pads, the drums, the lead melody synth, the effect synths, the oboe-like thing, and the ending backing synth. For the most parts, these things all do the same thing whenever they're playing. That makes this feel like something pasted together rather than something written. Having more interplay between elements, eg that the backing synth goes stab-like and the drums follow the stab rhythm for the duration, or that the drums do more of a fill before the track transitions to the next part, eg the B part of the lead melody (or C part of the source?).

The sound design is generally sparse, but that could work. Quality isn't about having many track, but about using all the tracks well regardless of their number. I don't think you're doing that. Not yet anyway. In part because I hear some weird, clashing choices when it comes to key and scales. In part because of the interplay issue mentioned above. In part because the mix could use some balancing so the intro bell isn't so loud compared to everything else.

I don't really mind the previous version's delay in the intro. Maybe because I use it all the time, so I'm used to it. And I know the source. Slimy's not wrong, but there are solutions besides changing the delay timing. You could use some one-shot effects or an additional instrument to indicate the beat (without having an actual beat there). You could use two delay buses with different timings. And other options. You have many options. Figure out what suits your track the best.

This is from a quick listen on laptop speakers. I'm a sucker for a good metroid track, so I try to drop a line whenever there's one on the feedback board. This one sounds a bit like my early stuff. Keep working on it.