OCR01557 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Speed Limit' *RESUB*

Jillian Aversa

Hi again. I've got a reworked version of my Crazy Motorcycle remix for OCR submission.

Previous judge decision

-The "popcorn synth" borrowed from the source material has been replaced.

-The intro has been reworked.

-The Advent Children reference in the string stabs has been replaced with a reference to FF7's battle theme.

-Other subtle changes have been made in areas I felt should be improved.

Hope it makes the cut. Thanks much. :)

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 122 "Crazy Motorcycle"

Good intro. The atmosphere for some reason sounds rather distant and lossy, not at all like the first version. During fuller section like 1:15, the textures actually seemed surprisingly thin and hollow despite trying to sound beefy. The claps/beats were pretty flimsy in particular. Not sure what happened on the production side, but I didn't recall having any concerns like that on the previous version, yet here they are for this one. Throughout most of the track to boot.

In any case, much like last time, I liked the arrangement. With even more connection to the original than before, I liked all the ways you reworked "Crazy Motorcycle" here. On the whole though, the arrangement dragged a bit and felt rather samey, as it kind of cycled through the same maybe 3 textures over the course of the track. You'll probably get some criticisms on that level from panelists and fans, but looking beneath the surface, there was a subtle sense of dynamic changes from section to section that made this ok. You did more than enough to pass in my book on the arrangement side, but this could have been markedly better.

I'm a bit underwhelmed due the the issues I had, but I'm still gonna go borderline YES. Nonetheless, this needs to be spruced up if it's posted. As it, it sounds way too lossy. The repetitiveness of the various textures from section to section was a negative, but not a dealbreaker in light of how substantive and interpretive the arrangement approach was.

Well concieved and thought-out. the arrangement is solid, despite a few questionable notes. reminds me of "intense color" by SGX.

i agree with larry that it sometimes sounds distant...this is really my only complaint on the track. I think it may be a balance issue..i can barely hear certain synths that would add much to the texture if they were more present.

Could be better on the eq/balance end, but certainly nothing bad enough to drop into 'no' territory.

YES