What game world would you most want to visit?

Thomas Neil

Depends. Am I visiting as a NPC or as a player?

That makes a big difference. For example, if I chose Pandora from the Borderlands series... I'm utterly fucked if I'm a NPC. In that game world, if it isn't the Skags/Spider Ants/other wildlife, it's the psychos that wear your face during their pizza parties (fun fact: 72% of Pandoran pizzas are also made from someone's face). If it ain't the psychos, it's the killer Hyperion Loader bots with rocket launchers for arms. And even if you manage to avoid all of those things, you still have all those fucking Vault Hunters (the players) gunning every thing down the instant they think it can drop loot.

Now, as a player (Vault Hunter), I would be nigh unstoppable. I get infinite respawns, can buy guns, shields, grenades and ammo all I want, or just blow up a herd of innocent animals until something drops a gun I like. If I want to go somewhere, I have access to planet-wide teleportation (Fast Travel stations). If I feel like just relaxing, I'm the only person of the planet that can play the slot machines in the various bars around the world. If don't want to do any of that, I still get the option to actually leave a town by walking out the front gate, unlike all the NPCs who have to stay there, behind the desk or on the road, forever. Never moving, never leaving, never doing anything.

See? The difference is important.

I don't know... being a NPC could be good. No one expects you to stop the evil wizard when you're just selling apples from a cart.

Or restarting a reactor to get the defense shields up before the aliens attack. Nope, just sweeping this corridor.

Depending on the game, it might be the safest situation there is. The world can't end if the hero doesn't start the game...

Damn it! Now I'm torn between blowing up the world and waiting for someone else to do it!

I've always thought Tamriel would be a better fantasy land to live in than most others. Is isn't as depressing as some others, I really like the races, (mostly the Argonians,) and it seems like the kind of place where any peasant could go out and have an adventure. The downside is that there's a lot of things that could kill me; the world is overrun with bandits.

The place i would like to be in would probably be Funkotron from TJ&E II. It's colorful, diverse, and you can load up anyone you don't like onto a rocketship and blast them to some other planet.  ...or the sun.  

On the other hand I kind of dig the mechanical-utopia-that-looks-like-a-dystopia that is Prosk from Hawken.  It's a city so there's bound to be more opportunities, even if the place gets blown up from time to time. 

Evermore from Secret of Evermore. So many different environments to exploit. Or Raccoon City, assuming I could be a NPC. I'd make a badass recurring miniboss... Otherwise I'd last the 5 seconds it took me to curse, panic and wet myself.

EDIT: scratch both those ideas. Black and White 2. I'd be a good deity... at first...

Yeah, most game worlds are absolutely filled with violent death looming around every corner.  Even gorgeous worlds like Wind Waker have monsters just everywhere.  And most of them are either a medieval setting, which means no plumbing, no basic hygiene, not much entertainment (although healthcare would vary widely based on potions and whatnot) or dystopian sci-fi (with its own forms of scarcity).

Pokemon would be a pretty decent choice.  It's based on the modern day, with internet and all, just with pokemon.  On the other hand, while there don't appear to be any conventional weapons, so no fear of mass shootings or bombings per se, some pokemon have some awfully destructive attacks.  Unleash a Hyper Beam or even a Surf in a crowded area and you'd have a lot of deaths on your hands, and there doesn't appear to be any kind of regulation.  It must be very Wild West behind the scenes, with the "good guy with a gun" mentality being the default.

Splatoon seems like it would be pretty good.  There's some conflict, but not many individuals are involved in it, and no one actually dies.  On the other hand, it's basically like the real world, so not much incentive to visit it.

ppft! Peace!? what's that? some arbitrary concept that can never exist IRL or even in the fictional world. just teleport my ass in the Megaman X  universe and I'm golden. "But Mike! there is a ton of violence and power struggle that constantly involves the entire planet." Yep that's the whole point, An era that is constantly ever changing either by peace or by destruction. Both sides needing the power and influence to make a change that completely Derails what is logically best for the world. Shit, with all things considered I might even become a maverick in this world. I would be consumed and submerged into the world where I would either help protect or destroy it to what would be my own belief.

The more I talk, the more I sound like a maverick already lol.

Sigma for president!

270?cb=20100727202819

1 hour ago, MindWanderer said:

Pokemon would be a pretty decent choice.  It's based on the modern day, with internet and all, just with pokemon.  On the other hand, while there don't appear to be any conventional weapons, so no fear of mass shootings or bombings per se, some pokemon have some awfully destructive attacks.  Unleash a Hyper Beam or even a Surf in a crowded area and you'd have a lot of deaths on your hands, and there doesn't appear to be any kind of regulation.  It must be very Wild West behind the scenes, with the "good guy with a gun" mentality being the default.

Not really. Even in the games, there are very few instances of pokémon on human violence. The only one I can think of is Lance ordering his Dragonite to use Hyper Beam on a Team Rocket Grunt in Mahogany Town. Even then, the Grunt just flies back a bit, and you talk to him afterwards. No injury.

It seems that Pokémon attacks are largely ineffective against non-pokémon targets, including buildings, vehicles and machines. If you're thinking about all those times Pikachu used Iron Tail on a Team Rocket robot and it exploded, sending Jesse and James (and Meowth, that right!) blasting off again, I'd like to remind you that this thread is about video game worlds, not anime/cartoon ones. The cartoon may be based upon the games, but they don't share the same physics or rules as the games.

So, therefore, it would actually be one of the safest video game worlds there is. Oh, what? Those pokédex entries about pokémon throwing buses over mountains and eating lava and eating people's minds? Dex entries are written by ten year old children that dropped out of school!

30 minutes ago, The Damned said:

Not really. Even in the games, there are very few instances of pokémon on human violence. The only one I can think of is Lance ordering his Dragonite to use Hyper Beam on a Team Rocket Grunt in Mahogany Town. Even then, the Grunt just flies back a bit, and you talk to him afterwards. No injury.

Hm, I haven't played anything more recent than Ruby, so didn't know about that.  But... Team Rocket is basically the Pokemon Mafia.  If Pokemon are essentially incapable of hurting humans, how does that even work?  No one has any guns, but plain old fists (there are martial artists) would be perfectly adequate defense against that.  Makes me wonder what Lt. Surge actually did in the war, other than just fly around.

Oh, Surge killed them with his bare hands or with a knife. He states that his pokémon " zapped my enemies into paralysis " ... letting him finish them off. And since there is never any sign of any kind of weapons aside from medieval-level swords and shields.. I'm thinking strangulation or vivisection. Or he used a parachute cord as a garrote. 8O

Team Rocket's main modus operandi is to steal pokémon from non-trainers (who would be more capable of defending themselves) and then using them as either power sources (think about the Electrodes powering the Radio Transmitter in the secret base under Mahogany Town) or selling for money (the game center in Celedon City, for instance). Hell, their plan at Lake of Rage to force pathetic Magikarp into mighty Gyarados is so they can catch them for profit.

Turns out Team Rocket is less mafia and more unethical business.

But hey, it's just a theory. A game-specific, backed up with known instances and easily verifiable facts, based upon quick research to fill in any gaps from personal memory, but still accurate, theory.

Thanks for reading!

I have a personal theory that people in Pokemon don't really use weapons because trained Pokemon are much more powerful, smart and versatile.

3 hours ago, The Damned said:

It seems that Pokémon attacks are largely ineffective against non-pokémon targets, including buildings, vehicles and machines.

Um, what stops them? The will of God? I think the only reason we don't see that stuff in the games/anime is because the writers don't want to go that route.

Back on topic: Not any of the Mega Man series. It's either robots blowing up the world, or a world where humans are long dead. Oh, spoilers.

Another bad one would be anything with "shock" in it's title. Underwater cities filled with murderous citizens, sky cities with racist nationalists (who are also murderous), some damn computer system in space (again, murderous)... the whole "something shock" thing is not people-friendly.

Tetris would be a terrible world, mainly because there isn't one. Not by human standards. A narrow chasm there is no escaping, but then it starts to fill up until it it reaches an invisible barrier at the top, crushing everything in it. Sometimes the ground that is building up falls away, but that is only a momentary reprieve from the sky falling and the earth raising. Fuck that.

21 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Every recent Mario Kart game has instilled desperate desire in me to visit the Mushroom Kingdom. Some of those city/beach locations seem fantastic.

Y'know, I've always wanted to go to Sherbet Land from Double Dash, and the updated version in 8 made me want to go even more.