Robots vs. Knights

DarkeSword

3 hours ago, Xarnax42 said:

The teams do matter a bit, of course, if you have one source that you'd like to try multiple approaches with.  If you're Team Robots, for example, you'll get your one Mega Man source three times, and three Shovel Knight sources one time each.

Right, so if you're more a Shovel Knight fan (in general) than a Mega Man GB fan (in general), then your best bet might be to find one Mega Man source you really like, since you'll just be using that one, but several Shovel Knight sources which you don't get to choose at all.

On 8/15/2016 at 9:17 PM, MindWanderer said:

Right, so if you're more a Shovel Knight fan (in general) than a Mega Man GB fan (in general), then your best bet might be to find one Mega Man source you really like, since you'll just be using that one, but several Shovel Knight sources which you don't get to choose at all.

It's not entirely clear from the original post whether we get to choose which source we're using, but I think the point still stands. Even if we're given one source to use per person throughout the competition (although I think it's that each team is given 3 sources each and then we choose one each within our team?), then you're right that you end up mixing more music from the opposing game.

With that in mind, I'd like to sign up for Team Robots, as I prefer the Shovel Knight sound track over the various Mega Man soundtracks. If I've misunderstood the remixing criteria and song choice selection, I'd probably rather be on Team Knights instead.

1 hour ago, Xenonetix said:

It's not entirely clear from the original post whether we get to choose which source we're using

Looks to me like this says it:

Each team will be given a pool of sources to select from. Team members will decide how to assign sources themselves.

You're given a selection of sources, and you work it out with your teammates which one goes to who.

Any member of the squad can be the primary artist. The primary artist is not required to use their own personal source; they can use any of their squad's 3 sources.

And here, sounds like in the boss-battle rounds, you can pick amongst the three sources your three-person squad has picked.

I'd love the participate in this tournament. Been trying to learn FL Studio and music arrangement, and this would be a fun way to do that. Unlike my last attempt years ago I have time to devote to my remixes... Since I've never played Shovel Knight (should probably change that), sign me up for Team Robots.

6 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

You're given a selection of sources, and you work it out with your teammates which one goes to who.

Yeah, but a selection/pool of exactly 3 sources that you then just assign to each team member, or a pool of about 20 sources, so you actually get some choice in the matter? I feel like if it's the prior, at least one member of the team will just have to 'settle'. All 3 members of the team might really want to be doing sources another team's been given, and hates all 3 of the ones they've been given. I'm just wondering how much variety and choice we really get.

If people have specific sources foist upon them, I feel like it would be an unfair system, because some teams will end up with a higher level of motivation than others purely because of the sources they've been given.

I won't be making any Mega Knight / Shovel Man tunes, but I'm really looking forward to hearing how this plays out! Choosing the Game Boy Mega Man soundtracks was real smart. Nobody's going to argue that the NES versions are anything but amazing, but they've been revisited... what, 200 times on OCR alone? Exploring new territory sounds fun. :)

- Stephen

18 hours ago, Xenonetix said:

Yeah, but a selection/pool of exactly 3 sources that you then just assign to each team member, or a pool of about 20 sources, so you actually get some choice in the matter? I feel like if it's the prior, at least one member of the team will just have to 'settle'. All 3 members of the team might really want to be doing sources another team's been given, and hates all 3 of the ones they've been given. I'm just wondering how much variety and choice we really get.

If people have specific sources foist upon them, I feel like it would be an unfair system, because some teams will end up with a higher level of motivation than others purely because of the sources they've been given.

There are nine people on each team. Each team will be given about 11-12 sources they can choose from and assign to their nine members.

How late am I! X'( I am probably not well known by anyone, but I would still really like to enter!It sounds like a really fun, big project with lots of room to communicate with other people! So please if there is still room (so many replies!) (team knight, but I don't mind, if there is room.)

• 2 weeks later...