All Time Hardest Boss

The Coop

Dash Galaxy. The worst NES game I could imagine. If you can get through more than 5 minutes of it, you're pretty hardcore. Not because it's particularly hard, but because once your eyes start bleeding and your brain reels in protest, you're pretty much dead.

Hands down: Zelda 2 on the NES, Beating up yur shadow is argueabley the hardest boss. I've never seen anything like it after that. Unfailingly it stomped me time and again and even to this day, it goes unconquered.

I can definitely see that... especially having to use Thunder on the Thunderbird in the room right before it... So now not only do you not have any magic for Life (or any other useful spell besides Shield), you still got to keep your health good for the final boss! and it's not easy dodging those fireballs (from a thunderbird) that are flying in every direction from the one point on it that's vulnerable. I wouldn't say it's impossible (I honestly can't remember if I have done this or not) but I'd say it's pretty difficult to beat both bosses in the same life.

And if video games have taught us anything, you can be killed several times before you actually die :P

fuck you kayin. If you can GET to the bosses they're complete bastards to fight.

Now I hate you :(. Been stuck on Mike Tyson since about an hour after you posted that.

But yeah, I think the true final boss from Demon's Crest (Dark Demon) is nigh impossible. Only beaten him once, and that was with save states and 5 Ginseng pots...and about an hour.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup. They mostly consist of tricky stops and BPM changes.

Pluto is a hard song, but that exact chart not in the BOSS RUSH ver.SN2. It's only on Heavy there!

This is the nonstop sequence:

PARANOiA HADES (75-300 BPM) - NGO (75-274 BPM) - TRIP MACHINE PheoniX (160 BPM) - Pluto (50-220 BPM) - Pluto Relinquish (50-805 BPM)

All on Challenge. All VERY hard 10s. Four lives FOR THE ENTIRE COURSE (1 bonus life for clearing Stage 1, another for Stage 3). It's so hard, nobody has even seen Pluto's Challenge chart yet...

• 1 month later...

You know, I've come to expect certain things in life. The sun coming up, the moon being in the sky, and of course, SNK making bosses that are infuriating. In this case, a certain King Leo in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

I wish I could say I own the game, but I can't. As such, most of my play time with this game as been at a friend's house. However, I've managed to chalk up a few hours with this interesting, and fought King Leo a good number of times. Here are my thoughts...

Fuck!... Fuuuuuuuuuuck... Oh c'mon!... What the?!... Wait, he's healing himself?! FUCKIN'...!

This boss is insane, and he's not even the main boss. As one would expect with SNK, his moves are fast, they do quite a bit of damage when they connect, they do damage when you block, and of course, hitting him with even good specials seems to do minimal damage to him. It's insane sitting there getting in a few good shots, only to see that his health bar's barely moved, and that it's refilling. I've yet to beat this guy, or even get him down to half a bar of health. And considering there are three other main bosses in the game, I fear to see what they do to you.

I'll beat this boss yet. I can get into the low teens in wins without any time bonuses or anything, so I'm not doing that badly. I just have to find a vulnerability.

If you fail to prepare, Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy 8's up there with the best of them, and I'd go on a hunch (even though I've not fought him yet), Yiazmat from FF 12 as well.

Another one I spent a lot of time getting owned by as Jinpachi in the original Tekken 5. There's only so many times you can get your ass whipped by him before there becomes a joypad lodged in your TV screen. For some reason, on the Dark Ressurection version, he was almost too easy, and even on Ultra Hard, I could double-perfect him with Marduk.

FINAL FANTASY X SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone has said this one or not, but Yunalesca from Final Fantasy X was pretty difficult. Granted, casting Reflect at the start of battle prevents her from blinding, muting, or even casting any kind of spells on you, but she has an attack that inflicts zombie status on all of your characters, and that prevent you from healing yourself.

On top of that, if you do manage to cure the zombie status, she has an attack that instantly kills all non-zombied characters.

On top of that, she can use an attack that confuses your characers, while she continues to slowly chip away at your HP.

But then again, Final Fantasy bosses have their knack for being difficult (except Kefka. Though he was an insane madman, and had the COOLEST fight theme out of almost any I've heard, he was pretty lame as a final boss)

FINAL FANTASY X SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone has said this one or not, but Yunalesca from Final Fantasy X was pretty difficult. Granted, casting Reflect at the start of battle prevents her from blinding, muting, or even casting any kind of spells on you, but she has an attack that inflicts zombie status on all of your characters, and that prevent you from healing yourself.

On top of that, if you do manage to cure the zombie status, she has an attack that instantly kills all non-zombied characters.

Yeah, she's difficult, but I had a worse time with Seymour Flux. The bastard will kill your aeons after one attack. The only way I ever managed to beat him is cycle through my aeons one by one, get one attack in, have him knock each of them out, and then just stay alive trying to finish him off.

The monsters in the coliseum, even the weakest ones, require a RIDICULOUS amount of leveling up to be able to stand toe to toe with them. In fact, I complained about it here.

Exactly. You need to go overboard to beat those fuckers. I think this was Square trying to cater to the "OMG I'm level 50 by the end of the first disc!" crowd. And a few monsters, fine. But AN ENTIRE COLISEUM'S WORTH?!

Considering I had to figure out how to work as many attacks in as possible other wise I'd still get 1 hit Ko'd. I can't repeat that run through and I never want to again.

I remember Ice Titan from Kingdom Hearts being really freakin hard, since most of the fight consisted of reflecting back the icicles he shoots at you to take off tiny fractions of his health with each one. Took me countless tries...and if I recall correctly Sephiroth only took me 2 tries (er, on second thought I'm probably thinking of KH2; Sephiroth couldn't have been that easy in KH). That last Riku fight was also really tough. Too many times he killed me in the middle of a frantic heal. Still one of my favorite boss fights ever though.

It's too bad KH2 couldn't rival the KH bosses. Fuckin' reaction commands ruining everything.

I remember Ice Titan from Kingdom Hearts being really freakin hard, since most of the fight consisted of reflecting back the icicles he shoots at you to take off tiny fractions of his health with each one.

I remember Ice Titan as a really stressful boss; constant attacks in one form or the other. Pausing the game would be an option, but then you'd probably lose the rhythm for a moment.

polygowned.jpg

I remember Ice Titan from Kingdom Hearts being really freakin hard, since most of the fight consisted of reflecting back the icicles he shoots at you to take off tiny fractions of his health with each one. Took me countless tries...and if I recall correctly Sephiroth only took me 2 tries (er, on second thought I'm probably thinking of KH2; Sephiroth couldn't have been that easy in KH). That last Riku fight was also really tough. Too many times he killed me in the middle of a frantic heal. Still one of my favorite boss fights ever though.

It's too bad KH2 couldn't rival the KH bosses. Fuckin' reaction commands ruining everything.

Ice Titan took me a while I had to go off and level and come back. I couldn't beat Seph on KH, but KH2 I raped him in under thirty secs. Trinity limit, berserk rage rise and repeat.

Not just the bosses, but the game in general. I Wanna Be The Guy.

I get frustrated just watching the videos on YouTube.

Fully seconded. I Wanna Be The Guy is a very definition of "really frigging stupid hard." Also, Asshole Mario, which can be found on YouTube. I don't know the proper Japanese name for the edit, but that whole game's probably comparable to I Wanna Be The Guy in difficulty if you factor in the Star Road. (And depending your skill at Super Mario World, it may be harder.)

But, off topic for a second, I loved the Dracula fight in IWBTG. Particularly the intro to it because it's just... *funny.*