All Time Hardest Boss

The Coop

Megaman X3's Sigma for me. First, you blast at him and his heavily-armored ass. Then he tries to possess you while you frantically climb walls in order to avoid the BOILINGHOTMAGMA that's suddenly flooding into the base.

What. The. Junk.

I remember that! That was an AWESOME fight! Yeah, I had HUGE trouble with that as a kid. Ah...the memories. Now maybe it wouldn't be too much but it's still a crazy fight.

I don't think I could possibly pick one from any game ever, but in response to the Mega Man posts I've seen...

Does anyone remember Sigma from X4? Yeah, it was kind of his trademark to have to kill him at least twice, but holy $#!% he was a whole new reason to cry in this one. The first stage you could do without getting hit if you were good. The second stage I don't care if you played this game eight hours every day, you would get hit and probably have to use one of your sub-tanks. Then on the third stage you have to fight two even harder forms of him simultaneously. I swear the guys at Capcom were laughing their asses off when they programmed this one...

BTW, I'm talking about playing as Zero, not X.

I had the hardest time with Gate in Mega Man X6. I think it's my impatience, but I just kept getting frustrated with him because it took so damn long to kill him.

Another difficult boss I can recall was Mizar from Jet Force Gemini. I remember getting all but one of the parts for the ship in that game, but giving up when I didn't realize you had to save all of the teddy-bear things throughout the game. A year or so later, I picked it up again and saved all of those things, getting to the Asteroid and to Mizar. A year after that, I finally beat him. That fight gave me a variety of problems.

I had the hardest time with Gate in Mega Man X6. I think it's my impatience, but I just kept getting frustrated with him because it took so damn long to kill him.

I'll say it again: That game was frustratingly hard (i.e. stupid hard)

I don't think I could possibly pick one from any game ever, but in response to the Mega Man posts I've seen...

Does anyone remember Sigma from X4? Yeah, it was kind of his trademark to have to kill him at least twice, but holy $#!% he was a whole new reason to cry in this one. The first stage you could do without getting hit if you were good. The second stage I don't care if you played this game eight hours every day, you would get hit and probably have to use one of your sub-tanks. Then on the third stage you have to fight two even harder forms of him simultaneously. I swear the guys at Capcom were laughing their asses off when they programmed this one...

BTW, I'm talking about playing as Zero, not X.

I remember that. That fight may be tougher as Zero, but a HECK of a lot more fun.

After some practice it ain't so bad. I'm REALLY good at Mega Man X games now. But back when I first got to that fight...yeah pretty much what you said.

All bosses have a trick to beating them. It doesn't really matter if it's a platformer, FPS, RPG, shmup... each boss has a means of being beaten. It's just that some involve a bit of luck as well... especially if their attack patterns are randomized, or if it requires lots of dodging.

Take for example, the final boss of DoDonPachi... the real final boss. Its name is Hibachi, and it's insanely hard. I mean "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" hard. The bullet patterns cover whatever part of the screen you're on, and they're fast. They also adjust themselves as they move, so there's no "sit here and don't move" periods (or at least, very few). The boss itself also has several forms, with each one getting more pissed than the previous one. If you'd like to see it, here's a link (with a song dubbed over the real music and sounds unfortunately)...

I'm not sure if this is played live, or if it was done with a programmable stick, but there are people who are able to beat that boss. They're able to meet the hard requirements just to get to it, and then dodge all those bullets to win. But just because there are people who can do it, doesn't mean it wasn't a tough road to reach that point. It takes learning, timing, and luck... much like any boss.

Once you get the patterns, counter spells, or rhythms down, then yes, a given boss becomes easier for you. But up until you figured those things out, dying all along the way who knows how many times, a boss from any genre is capable of being hard to me :-)

Watching that made me think of how grateful that I have my hair.

You're actually right. Playing against a boss long enough will provide you with enough time to learn patterns of bosses (and yell a bit at your T.V.) But nonetheless, every boss is beatable.

Another one for me to add would be Parodius 2. The Cemetery stage. I don't recall ever beating that game because of that stage.

The music fits the situation that dude's in.

Damn that Centaure boss is hard in Ecclesia, well not impossible, but ...he already killed me 2 times arrrrg.

Yeah a lot of people tole me Ninja Gaiden ...four, hehe, is hard. I know the first one on NES was quite hard. When you die at last boss, you have to redo the whole stage. At least, the boss which comes in 3 forms one after the other, stays in last form he has beaten you with. The 2 other ninja gaidens we're hard, but I guess the practice I got from playing the first one was enough :)

Did anyone beat the final boss of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on solo mode? Attack, heal, attack, heal, etc. I would get to the third form and die in a matter of seconds.

My guess is you need to have nothing but phoenix downs in your inventory, but who wants to spend hours collecting them? Maybe I needed to use a different race... Anyway, ouch.

One of the hardest Bosses in Video Game History. is Mike Tyson, in Mike Tyson's Punch Out. For the NES. I read that in a gamepro, and I can only agree, because it takes impecable timing, and noticing the little things he does before he does ceartain moves.

• 4 months later...

I got a wild hair up my ass a few days ago, and decided to pop The Adventures of Batman and Robin into my Genesis. A bit of a long run 'n gun, and it's as hard as Chinese algebra. Still, it's fun. Most of the bosses aren't too bad. The Cheshire Cat is a pain in the ass, but I was reminded that there's another one that really gets irritating after a while.

On level 3, you fight the Mad Hatter at the end. He hovers about in a giant top hat, throwing little spinning Tweedle men, and exploding rabbits, at you. The men aren't too bad to avoid, as they fall somewhat slowly down the screen. The exploding rabbits however, are tougher. They're killed in a couple hits, but when they explode, they knock you to one side or the other. They do decent damage, but it's when you're on the side of the platform that they do their real evil work... by knocking you off. More damage done by the evil little bunnies.

Anyway, the battle really starts getting hectic when the ground starts moving. Now you're racing forward into the screen, and after a short time, cards start coming at you along the platform you're on. After you do more damage, the game starts throwing the Tweedle men, exploding rabbits, and the card obstacle patterns at you. As you weaken him further, the ground moves even faster, and cards come screaming at you. Eventually, you're hopping all over the place, trying to get out of the way of the cards, jump over the rabbits, avoid the falling Tweedle men... it all gets pretty frantic.

Level three in general is a real bitch in the game, thanks to the difficult stage, mid boss, and boss. But when a boss fight has you hopping around more than the rabbits that are trying to kill you, that's a boss worth noting.

tAoBaR is an awesome game.

Also, What happened to your Guess that game thread The Coop? You know the one with the game screen shots.

You should revive it.

DarkeSword's thread? It got shifted to the competitions forum, where it lingered and died off slowly. It's been almost a year since the last post in it, and sadly, those posts were about letting the thread die. Seemed folks simply lost interest (after 95 pages, and two versions of the thread before it, I can't say that I blame them).

Like I said, it was recent memory. I haven't play much video games in a while. There was a boss in Fire Emblem 5 (SNES) that I consider to be fuckin' hard because his defense (both magical and physical) was near maxed, he had a powerful spell book which could (and often) OHKO anyone, and he would rest on a fortress, which gives I think +20 to defense and +5 to evade and also, it heals an unit's HP to max every round.