All Time Hardest Boss

The Coop

I think I posted this already but in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow(I think that's what it's called) I had a hard time doing the sealing thing to beat Death. I killed him seven times in a row but I couldn't seal him. I had to get my bro to seal him for me.

Actually I can recall a few...

Super Mario World, I was like 7. And the fight with Bowser, I'd get so scared, I had to have my dad beat it for me.

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. King/Kaptain K. Rool was so difficult for an 8 year old's brain to figure out.

Super Metroid. Ridley, need I say more?

Super Mario RPG. Yaridovich. I remember never being leveled up enough to get through the fight easily. And it was always the hardest fight for me. But it was extremely rewarding to finally beat him each time I went through the game.

Rayman. The Viking Opera Lady. It was hard enough getting to her in the art world, but that fight with her took FOREEEVER.

Viewtiful Joe, the Devil Dog Boss, and fighting Captain Blue for the last time. Try doing that on Adults difficulty. Can't believe I attempted playing that game on V-Rated, that's just suicide, especially as Sylvia.

There's so many more I could list, but I can't remember them.

One a non-boss note, RAINBOW ROAD ON SUPER MARIO KART (SNES), can't remember how many times I came in 6th or LAST in that race.

I can't get past Glass Joe on "Mike Tyson's Punchout!"

Don't laugh, I'm not kidding.

I own That game. and in a Game Pro Magazine, like a year or 2 ago. I'm not sure. They considered him one of the hardest bosses in video game history, he is really fucking hard to beat.

Super Mario RPG. Yaridovich. I remember never being leveled up enough to get through the fight easily. And it was always the hardest fight for me. But it was extremely rewarding to finally beat him each time I went through the game.

Yaridovich is a tough cookie even when you are leveled up enough, he hit's like a truck, so even if the battle is done fairly quick and easy it's still a bit scary.

I don't know if anyone here has played the Jurassic Park game for the genesis (much different from the snes version), but fighting Dr. Grant when you were the raptor was just stupid. As soon as you got close to him he'd just shock you with his stung gun (which was annoying since when you played as Grant he was constantly getting mauled). There was some sort of trick you had to pull with the scenery, but I could never figure it out so I've never beaten it.

I've been playing Rune Factory Frontier, and it's been pretty fun so far. I've only fought one boss, but it was a damn difficult one.

The boss of the first dungeon (Green Ruins) is a giant Gryphon. The thing does 60 damage, easily, can fly, keeping him out of range, and even spawn chicken enemies of its own (fortunately, it also kills them). It has a charging attack that can cause it to become dizzy if it runs into a wall, but late into the battle when it gets its attack/speed boost it becomes much more difficult to get it anywhere near the walls. Oh, and it starts doing around 80 damage per attack.

It's a shock, especially since the DS games were so much easier in terms of boss fights. Bosses can be fought again as well, and I think their power either scales with the player's level, or they just get stronger each time they're killed. I deduced this when, after I defeated it once and fought it again, it was no longer weak to fire attacks. Either way, I wasted a lot of potions, only to die in the home stretch.

Isn't Rune Factory a Harvest Moon spin off? I like the Harvest Moon franchise, but there's something about the idea of attacking a gryphon with a hoe or a sickle that cracks me up. Granted, you could probably do some damage with the hammer or the axe, but if I were playing the game I'd totally go into battle armed with the fishing pole or something, just for lulz.

Oh God, Yaridovich.

SMRPG was always pretty easy to me because I like to powerlevel, but I'd say ol' Yari is the second-hardest boss in the game (next to Culex).

Smithy was cake to me, but again, I was packing Lazy Shell (isn't that what it's called? memory fails sometimes) armor, the best weapons and accessories, and fully leveled lv. 30 characters.

If I did it at, say, level 23 or so with the standard store-bought stuff, it would be QUITE the challenge.

I should play back through and do that, actually.

About Super Mario RPG, I think the hardest boss thing was a 'vine' (yeah yeah, it's not a boss ^^, only a ladder) for a friend, because Mario had to jump to one vine to another to go to a city in the clouds (forgot the name, 15 years later...) and he couldn't go in diagonal directions with his pad. So it was simply impossible to jump from vine to vine at a point.

So he couldn't clear the game :lol:

Oh God, Yaridovich.

SMRPG was always pretty easy to me because I like to powerlevel, but I'd say ol' Yari is the second-hardest boss in the game (next to Culex).

Smithy was cake to me, but again, I was packing Lazy Shell (isn't that what it's called? memory fails sometimes) armor, the best weapons and accessories, and fully leveled lv. 30 characters.

If I did it at, say, level 23 or so with the standard store-bought stuff, it would be QUITE the challenge.

I should play back through and do that, actually.

Yeah, but it is a pain is going after culex, without the extra special armors or "Lazy shell" items (Attack+Defence)

It took me so many times to get culex. Then again I was Using mainly geno and mario to attack while peach healed the rest (That tatic doesnt work as well as i thought it would back then). And i was like..level 21 or 22.

Hell, the watering can is a great way to clear out enemies surrounding you.

This officially made my day. Alas, just one more reason that I really need to get my hands on a DS...

Edit - Since I thought of something actually on-topic and I don't feel like double posting.

Anyone still play Starcraft? RTS games tend to not have "bosses" in the traditional sense, but I think certain levels sorta count. There's an online UMS map (an official Blizzard-released one, not a fan-created one) called Mercenaries II. It's stupidly hard. A friend of mine -- who is quite good at Starcraft -- actually refuses to believe that it's even possible (he's wrong, because I've beaten it multiple times, but just goes to show you that the frustration level on this thing).

The map starts with three players against four computers. With a good group, and a bit of luck in your starting positions, this usually isn't too hard. However, in Mercs II, all four CPUS (a Terran, a Zerg, and two Protoss) start with complete bases; the only limit on how fast they can rush you is how fast they can collect resources to build their units. Three of the four also have hero units; the Terran has a supercharged battlecruiser, the Zerg has a mutalisk, and one of the Protoss has an archon (the meanest part is that, unlike a normal archon, all of its health is HEALTH, not shields, so you can't EMP your way to easy victory). Fortunately the hero units have a bit of custom AI to them; the enemy won't rush you with them (unless they've got like virtually nothing else), but they WILL use them for base defense, which means that any rush YOU might hope to pull off is doomed from the outset.

Fortunately, each player also gets a unique hero (though nowhere near as powerful as the enemies') and a specially upgraded unit. Each hero is a normal in-game hero unit (eg Raynor, Hunter-Killers, Fenix) pumped up a bit (and fortunately NOT required to survive in order to win), while each upgraded unit is a standard unit (eg dragoon, goliath, guardian) that starts with full upgrades (including spells, if any). The fun part is that you can apply normal unit upgrades on TOP of that, which makes them awesomely powerful. You start the game with your hero unit and two of your upgraded units already spawned. This is the ONLY thing that saves you from the first rush. After that, you have to clear virtually the whole map of the enemy -- and it's not a money map, so you have to strike quickly and secure expansion bases or else you'll run out of resources and be overrun.

Fun times, overall, but it can be frustrating when you see a mass of enemy siege tanks, supported by carriers and guardians, all charge you at once. It's completely impossible unless you have a group of players who are not only individually decent, but good at working together.

Quote:Originally Posted by GenericDerrick

Super Mario RPG

Axem Rangers

This.

I actually gave up on Super Mario RPG because of the Axem Rangers. :( That was... years ago.

Sorry, this is the thread you were looking for, my good man.

Well, now that I'm here, I'd say BoF IV's final boss was a son of a bitch... It was hard, but a good hard, if you now what I mean. It took 2 1/2 hours to kill both forms, and it actually required me to really think the fight through (which isn't true for any other game...).

'Course, I was underleveled for the fight (~37, 38 for the end), so I'm sure that contributed to the difficulty.

• 1 month later...

I'd have to say fighting Dark Fact in Ys Eternal (the remake on the PC) is one of the hardest fights I've ever encountered. If you can't nail him good in the first few seconds, you're pretty much fucked for the rest of the fight. Also, Darm in Ys Book 2 (The turbo CD) is almost impossible if you're not maxed out in levels. But I guess this is what you get for going after bosses that have awesome 80s voice actors .

Also, Hibachi from the DonDonPachi Series is pretty much a head-splosion, unless you're tight into the danmaku scene.

And since Super Mario RPG seems to have some pretty nasty bosses, I'll have to say I had a hell of a time with Johnny Jones. I kept killing all his henchmen, and had to have Mario go One-on-One with him. I was under-leveled and pathetic at RPG's at the time, so he pretty much owned me for awhile.