Metroid Medley - Lower Norfair, NES Title, Torvus Bog

timaeus222

Last ReMix for a while - since I'm headed off to grad school literally today, Chris and I thought we'd work on a Metroid mix to follow our 2013 "Let's Upset a 'Troid!". Here's how it turned out!

https://app.box.com/s/j3wcpb77b9o2k5ron5jy882l78524gt5 - MP3

Also available on SoundCloud:

AngelCityOutlaw: Told you we'd see you next mission.

timaeus222: A wild collab has appeared! This time, it's a heavy cinematic, Hans-Zimmer-inspired medley of Metroid themes! This was pretty hefty on resources for me: Shreddage Drums, LA Scoring Strings, Pearl: Concert Grand, and more, which evidently conspired against me to crash FL Studio like 20 times. But that's not all - we planned to write this in 5 days, and made it just under the wire; a few hours later, I began my move for grad school in WSU for my PhD in computational chemistry (chemistry + computer science). So to those of you who have been listening to my music, thank you for being avid gamers and lovers of music, and I hope to continue composing even a little in my free time (I did gather most of my music resources for the trip, except for my good headphones), and when I return home during Christmas breaks and summers.

Rough Source Breakdown:
0:00.0 - 0:27.7 = Title (Metroid NES)
1:14.3 - 1:42.3 = Torvus Bog (Prime 2)
1:58.2 - 2:11.1 = Lower Norfair (Super Metroid)
2:20.8 - 2:48.8 = Torvus Bog (Prime 2)
2:49.9 - 3:12.4 = Title (Metroid NES)

27.7 + 28.0 + 12.9 + 28.0 + 22.5
= 119.1/193.9 = ~61.4%

27.7 + 22.5
= 50.2/193.9 = 25.9% Title

12.9/193.9
= 6.7% Lower Norfair

28.0 + 28.0
= 56.0/193.9 = 28.9% Torvus Bog

I've been away from my computer for awhile so I couldn't listen to this. The string melody at 1:14 seems rather midi to me - every note seems to have the same amount of seperation between them and the same attack. I didn't like how dark/tinny the EQ on the strings was, and I also didn't like how "open" the chords were at 1:28 and 2:35 that the staccato string arpeggios were making. Combined with the EQ on the strings, it seemed to give the song a bit of a "hollow" feel that I found a bit weird.

Despite that, I liked the song overall, and the intro in particular.

Yeah, fair enough; for the Torvus bog melody, it's really just a product of the way I wrote the CC11 + CC1, not because of the library I used; I just need more practice with that kind of emotional writing. If I had more time (and I weren't at WSU already), fixing the legato leads would be on the list. But for OCR I think this is sufficient. :)

This is great, I really like this. Very interesting sound overall; I like how each style trades off but still plays off each other in the meantime. I'll also say that glitch effects usually annoy me, but they are used very tastefully here.

Two things:

• 0:21/0:22 - there's a glitch effect that conflicts with the note here. More esthetic than anything else and could be a part of sound design, but it stands out to me.
  • 1:05 - there's a bagpipe-y tone that comes in here at a bit of a warble. It stands out, but once again, could be sound design.

I got nothing else and these notes are nit-picky at best. Great track! I'll definitely be adding this one to my library once accepted... :)

About 0:22, yeah, the crackling was an aesthetic choice that was aimed to create some unease; what I did was increase the bitcrushing depth on the entire mix, which could sound like your speakers' wiring got loosened. Mostly, it was inspired by Clem/Redg.

Ah, okay, that would be a zourna (although I see how it can sound like bagpipes in its nasality); as for what I think you're taking issue with (the playing style?), it's actually a common way you could play a zourna in real life, so if that trill is what it is that's kinda bugging you, it's something that the instrument can inherently do. :)

Either way, thank you for the feedback! I had a lot of fun writing this, and AngelCityOutlaw was a great help in keeping the arrangement ideas flowing, making the foundation that was to be fleshed out, and brainstorming what to do next.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, timaeus222 said:

About 0:22, yeah, the crackling was an aesthetic choice that was aimed to create some unease; what I did was increase the bitcrushing depth on the entire mix, which could sound like your speakers' wiring got loosened.

I took a listen to Helljam, but the crackling isn't what I was talking about (very cool inspiration though. I did like the effect you were going after there). Not knowing the names of all the instruments doesn't help, but there's this 'waaaaaAAAAAAaaaaa' (very technical language here) that happens about 0:21-0:23. It's simply flat and conflicts with the notes of the melody. Now that I hear your response, though, it's likely sound design and fits with what you were trying to create anyway, so never mind. LOL

Ah, okay, that would be a zourna (although I see how it can sound like bagpipes in its nasality)

Live and learn... thank you for defining that for me.

as for what I think you're taking issue with (the playing style?), it's actually a common way you could play a zourna in real life, so if that trill is what it is that's kinda bugging you, it's something that the instrument can inherently do. :)

Every instrument has a special talent. :) 

I liked the arrangement a lot, but I agree that those violins were a serious drawback--and I normally have a lot of tolerance for fake instruments, so that's saying something.  The static glitching, on the other hand, sounds a little too realistic, just sounding like my headphones came loose for a second.  Not pleasant at all.

11 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

I took a listen to Helljam, but the crackling isn't what I was talking about (very cool inspiration though. I did like the effect you were going after there). Not knowing the names of all the instruments doesn't help, but there's this 'waaaaaAAAAAAaaaaa' (very technical language here) that happens about 0:21-0:23. It's simply flat and conflicts with the notes of the melody. Now that I hear your response, though, it's likely sound design and fits with what you were trying to create anyway, so never mind. LOL

Ah, okay. That was AngelCityOutlaw's atonal drone. :)