OCR01562 - *YES* Chaos Legion 'The Souls of Chaos'

Liontamer

I haven't made a remix in a hella long time. So I wanted to do something special, a remix from Chaos Legion for the PS2/PC, which previously hasn't been covered at all. Why?! I don't know, but it has a great soundtrack.

For this remix I used two songs from the ost, the first called "08 - A way to nowhere Stage ~Ruins~" which is the most used source, secondly is "15 - Feel no fear Stage ~Sky Gallery~" which is used partly.

Soundtrack was composed by Hideyuki Fukasawa in 2003. The only place I know to hear this soundtrack is on that BlueLaguna website.

For this mix I wanted to retain what I liked about the soundtrack; being the heavy orchrestral apocalyptic feel, cool acoustic beats, electric guitar usage and synths. Though the source is used closely, I wanted to mix it up more so than reaarange it. There is however, alot of input on my side to the flow and arrangement of the two songs. But more importantly is that it retains the feeling of the game, which was my main goal.

I don't think I have anything else to add, go nuts you buggers!

A few issues become apparent on a proper listen through. The production is the main area where I have problems. The mix sounds rather dirty, which is expected for this style, but it's to the point where it's becoming a wall of sound. The compression over the track makes everything sound crammed together, especially when you compare it to the source which has more clarity. The strings are thick and fill up all the gaps in the mix, and the percussion is very heavy. The thickness of the drums works, but when it comes to the cymbals, the compression really breaks the sound apart, giving that wall of sound effect.

Your synth-thing that you used in the first half of the mix is filtered well to give it a bit of diversity, but you pretty much used the same pattern over and over again, both with the filtering and composition. Kind of defeats the point. It sounds all right though, which is the important thing. I'm nitpicking.

Arrangement isn't too daring to start with, even discarding the remix factor. The source isn't too melodically driven, relying on riffs to get through. Your remix is identical in the genre sense and adopts the same instrumentation to carry each part from the original, only adding the synths for a bit of development. Things build up melodically towards the end of the mix with that synth lead, which was a welcome change to the preset patterns.

I think this mix could've been clearer, had a more daring arrangement and maybe switched a few things up so it wasn't so similar to the style of the source. But I think the remixer has made some creative choices in rearrangement, and the sound quality is above our bar. I think any further work on this mix will only damage it, since the problems are generally technicalities.

Borderline YES

• 3 weeks later...

Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - (108) "a way to nowhere Stage ~Ruins~" & (115) "feel no fear Stage ~Sky Gallery~"

Yeah, same issues I felt were there in the Metal Slug 2 remix were definitely there here, only thankfully a bit more balanced. The compression made things sound cluttered and lossy in places, but the production wasn't hurting. Much like "No Need to Reload", this was more of a case where the instrumentation and production choices were more befitting of the genre, as opposed to those choices sounding completely out of whack in a piece that's supposed to sound more organic.

Awesome opening with some very nice brass, followed up by the vox; a nice buildup for the intro with great energy. That filtered synth first used at :53 was cool initially, but got lame after a while. When it came back at 3:23, I was killing for something different, frankly something more creative with the synth design there. Same issue with the bleh lead synth during the close from 3:44-4:05, but not a dealbreaker.

Nice brief usage of "feel no fear Stage ~Sky Gallery~" from 2:42-2:55. The vox from 2:56-3:22 sounded pretty good, all things considered. The timing was a little rigid, but the note-to-note movement was pretty smooth overall, sounding fairly realistic. So a minor point, but still nicely done.

Synth design for a few brief parts could have been more creative, and the production was a bit on the rough side, but this was solid overall. I fully agreed with TO that while the overall arrangement was arguably conservative, things were pretty personalized in terms of the approach.

Honestly, this one's a strong example of retaining both the spirit and style of the source material while substantially personalizing the arrangement. Not many people around here know how to even pull that off, which earns major props.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

first of all, who are you?

secondly, like larry pointed out, that filtered synth is really irritating after a while and sounds tacky. the rest of this is vicious

i am totally digging the groove and the parts of this that don't have that filtered synth rambling through it are great.

the synth work, otherwise, is killer

YES

I basically would be wasting valuable energy (takes a lot to type, ya know) :) by writing out an extensive vote, when basically I can pretty much quote TO verbatim.

In fact, there is absolutely not one thing I can add that he didn't already mention, and not one single thing that I disagree on. So I'll just leave it at that. I hate to bust out the glib vote, but seriously, it's already been said.

borderline YES

congrats on another mix, roe. I know you've been a pretty persistent remixer despite a lot of no's. keep up the good work. just take it easy on the compression :P