Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire - VS Groudon Remix

Best Dude55

Hello again everyone! So I finally worked up the nerve to post here again with a new remix I've been working on. I've been working on this one for a while, and it was pretty fun to do. I kinda tried some things with different sounding basslines than I normally use and also I experimented with major key switches. As usual though, I still don't know much about production since I'm way too busy with school and work to look into learning more about it. So I just kinda do what I think sounds right, even though it is probably all wrong haha.

Anyway, here's a link to the newest version so far if you'd like to listen: https://app.box.com/s/1houusvbvjb41nf0pkrqwo8q78llclu0

Edit: Forgot to put the source, whoops!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really like the key change at 1:14, it breaks up the piece nicely. At 1:51, maybe bring out the background mallets a little. I like that your remix moves forward with ideas (like 2:24) and isn't just static. It's interesting to hear the remix go from kind of angry to happy back to angry and then happy again. Production sounds okay to me, but maybe someone with more experience has suggestions? Overall, I enjoyed listening to your remix. Good work!

• 2 weeks later...

This track is impressive. I'd say just give it an eval, because I can't find much wrong with it at this point, but maybe an Evaluator could, not sure. I like how it's not just one mood, the song shifts so many times from beginning to end, which is really neat.

I think some transitions could be smoothed out, the structure could be revised, and the drums could be more punchy and less "FL-default".

• 0:25 gets into the high energy a little fast (3 seconds), and there's not much of a buildup. Maybe you could extend the intro and add a buildup.
  • Once we get into the DnB section at 0:25, the drums feel kinda like the default FL drum samples. If you practiced layering drum samples to get punchy layered kicks and snares, that would help with making this sound heavier. The bass is pretty good; just try to match the bass with your drums in heaviness.
  • 0:41 - 1:03 feels fairly static relative to what came before, and could use more expressive synths. Those sustained saws aren't really adding excitement IMO. There's also not that much difference between 0:25 - 0:41 and 1:03 - 1:20 in energy, so you may want to plan out your dynamics some more and rework your mixing choices.
  • The way the arrangement shifts so much kinda feels indecisive. I think it changes too much too often, and as a result, your buildups are short and your breakdowns are brief (such as 2:02 - 2:07), making the high-energy sections sound "too familiar".
  • I'm not sure why you had 2:45 - 3:17 with significantly less bass than 0:25 - 0:41 and 1:03 - 1:20; right now it sounds like a prolonged outtro from 2:24 - 3:45.