Clangemonium on board! Cid's Theme

Clangemonium

Hi everyone,

It's nice to be a part of the forums! My friend and I started our youtube channel a while back (~3 years ago) and after going on a hiatus, we've decided to come back with a vengeance. This past week, we posted 3 stockpiled songs, along with 2 brand new ones. On top of that, we set up a soundcloud account and made our covers downloadable on there. Here is a link to the most recent song, Cid's Theme from Final Fantasy VII:

We've got 12 covers up at this point. I think that our work has been steadily improving in quality, and one of these days we'll certainly be submitting a cover to OCRemix in hopes to make it on to the roster! I feel that our Stickerbush Symphony and Cid's Theme are getting pretty close to the minimum point of quality that we want to meet before submitting.

At any rate, I hope that some of you find pleasure in listening to our covers, we look to be posting a new one every Monday (known as Clangemonday). Looking forward to hearing from you guys :)

Thanks and <3 to you all,

Clangemonium

As you're not specifically inviting comments, I don't know whether this is a WIP you're looking for feedback on or whether you're just advertising your YouTube channel, but you imply that it isn't finished, so I'm going to assume you are looking for feedback.

Here's my two bits:

• I think you have too much reverb on the piano compared to the cello in the intro.
  • I think you have a bad note at 0:42 from the cello.
  • The lead electric sounds very slightly out of tune. More apparent in the first movements, not as bad at the higher octave. I sure hope that doesn't mean fretwork or a bent neck on your guitar...
  • The bass seems quiet. I can hear it, but it's really understated compared to the other volumes.
  • I think the bass has a bad note at 3:47-3:49

As much as I like the arrangement and style you chose, this arrangement sticks pretty darn close to the original source. I'd like to hear a little more 'soul' in this - the snare breakdown you have at 2:55 would be a good spot for a little creativity.

Just my thoughts and opinion. I really did enjoy listening to this - I hope to hear more of your work on here and I'll have to check out your YouTube channel at some point. :)

Hi The Nikanoru!

First off, we're glad to read that you enjoyed listening! Secondly, we want to thank you for your two bits. It really means a lot to us for you to take the time out of your day to not only listen, but to come up with feedback. Many <3's to a fellow Canadian.

We decided to post here for a couple of reasons:

1. We wanted to advertise our youtube channel a bit now that we're getting back into doing this after a three year hiatus.
  2. Since we're thinking of submitting something to OCRemix in the future, we wanted to hear some feedback on the covers that we're working on right now to help us gauge where we're at.

This project was kind of multi-purpose, with the main focus to make ourselves much more well-rounded musicians. By doing these covers, we looked to improve a few skills (i.e, transcribing/ear training, arranging, musicianship/playing, recording/mixing, etc.). You can even tell how long a way we've come if you compare the earlier releases to the more recent ones. Generally, I would say that we stick fairly close to the source materials. Giving a little bit of flavour here and there, but making sure that it really brings back the memory that people have of the song. When we DO decide to submit something, it will likely be a more creative take on a tune (or maybe a medley?).

On a side note, we marked this cover to be wrapped up and will likely not make changes to it at this point in lieu of moving on to new covers. We are still taking your observations into consideration moving forward, though!

Thanks again,

Eric & Marc (Clangemonium)

Hi guys!

Nice work! I find the mixing quite solid and the arrangement is nicely written.

The only thing that stroked me was your piano sound at the very beginning, which lacked of nuances IMO.

I strongly agree with The Nikanoru regarding the 'creativity' side of things. But now, you know you can handle a track on the mastering end, so I really encourage you to try things because it will be fun! Let solos, breaks, harmonizations, re-arrangements,... flows from now on! 

Hope to hear things from you soon!

Hi Julien!

Thanks for the reply! We're glad to read that you enjoyed the arrangement and found the mixing to be solid. It's very encouraging. :)

Giving it some re-listens ourselves, we have to agree with you and Nikanoru that the piano could've been done differently/better. 

Although sticking to the source material was intentional, we know that this is not really the OCRemix way! Which means only one thing: we'll have to get creative if we want to accomplish our goal of making it onto the roster. For now, our focus is going to be getting into a groove of producing regular content in the form of weekly releases. What will probably happen is that we'll have a longer term project on the go for an OCRemix production, while pumping out our usual style covers.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback,

Eric & Marc (Clangemonium)