OCR01522 - *YES* Mega Man X 'Light in the Fortress'

Liontamer

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent guitar shreddage as expected. More electronic sound overall than I expected. Still somewhat raw, but the synthetic instruments add texture. It's a good direction in general, separating this track from more straightforward metal submissions.

The arrangement is simple, but dynamically effective. Certainly no straightup cover.

Even the production is a solid step above what we usually get from metalhead remixers . :wink:

The guitar wins.

YES

i heard this when it was first baked. it is a beast. one of the things i love about house is that he is not a limited one trick pony; i have always respected and admired his true ability to create without boundary and this track was, at one point, the penultimate display of that.

his electronic work in it is just as challenging and aggressive as the guitar work. this was such a clear winner in the DoD that month and was so hard to peg because of how competent the non-guitar stuff was.

the guitar is great, the arrangement is intelligently ambitious when it needs to be, the synth work is fantastic, the mastering, mixing and production are all where they ought to be.

triumph for the guitar!

YES

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mmx - "Sigma Fortress 2" (mmx-25.spc)

Good to see this mix. The June 2005 DoD (goes to show you how long it's been since it first dropped) was particularly strong, bringing along other OCR mixes like Darangen's "Atonement", Dhsu & GrayLightning's "A Clockwork Vampire" and Midee & prozax's "The Twelfth Commandment".

MMX1 is one of the few games I've actually played around them there parts in Videogame Land, so I've been a fan of the soundtrack long before I got involved with OCR. Alex did a great job personalizing the presentation and expanding the arrangement during the more conservative sections, the first minute being really cover-ish until the chorus hit at 1:14.

The next iteration of the theme at 1:46 did a great job dropping out the driving beats and changing the feel before transitioning into the wank over the foundation of "Sigma 2" at 2:01. Piano at 2:15 was used nicely to cover up the syntheticness of it, as the performance on it sounded a little mechanical; great positioning of the sound there to prevent it from being exposed. Nice stuff from 2:30 until the finish with the original writing piecing together well with the previous material.

If I recall correctly, I believe Alex was eagerly awaiting the voting for that Free Month, interested in the reception this mix would get due to the balance of guitar and synths here, since this was the first mix he released with so many overtly electronic elements involved. Needless to say after hearing it, he definitely rose to the challenge and illustrated not only how this combination could click musically, but also how it could click with the \m/'s that are The Shizz.

YES

Really good stuff. I think I once said to Larry that I thought lots of DoD mixers sounded very similar, but now that I've listened more closely, I can hear the stylistic and performance differences. house's style really works for me, especially in this piece, given my synth bias. Great arrangement and spot-on production, of course.

YES