FF6~Curtain Call(Overture)

GSO

Alright, here goes.

Specific notes:

• Piano sounds in the beginning and first movement have absolutely no depth. Needs reverb, possibly a little sustain for longer tones.
  • Staccato violins have good reverb, but the oboe does not.
  • Why are the strings and oboe panned left?
  • I like the violin at Draco's lament @ 1:43, but is that a cello or viola you have playing the melody? I think you need more legato here.
  • Really like the little piano bit at 2:55. Nice touch.
  • Melody strings at 3:42 have (ironically) too much reverb, especially since harmony strings have very little reverb.
  • I don't like the fade-out ending. Personal preference here, but I'd use a definite ending if you plan to link this track with Chanson de Caractere,

Overall notes:

• Notation throughout the piece is almost dead accurate. Awesome job on the structure. Only thing: some folks might call it 'robotic' in some places, as it's almost too perfect. Some DAWs have a 'humanization' function to keep this from occurring, but my advice would be to play it out naturally.
  • NEED MORE ORCHESTRA. I'm only hearing piano and strings here. The opera is meant to be played by a full symphony and this track seems to be following similar lines; there is a definite lack of brass, wind, and percussion to round this piece out.
  • Needs more life. It sounds pretty straight and narrow right now. More instrumentation will help this.

This is a great framework, but lots needed to make this a masterpiece. I hope some of these notes can help you get a little closer to what you're looking for.

Chanson de Caractere next.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[REVIEW]

Hey there GSO - this doesn't seem to be ready for review. I'm hearing what sounds like a base midi track that should be handed to musicians, which doesn't really have any production involved. I'm marking it back to WIP - as a reminder, marking something "READY FOR REVIEW" means you think it passes OCRs judging standards and should only need small tweaks. 

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!