The Legend Of Zelda - Main Theme African Style

Ganaé

I'll be honest, I started off very skeptical, having lived in Africa for several years and still listening to some of the music I got while there.

However, I was pleased that this wasn't just a caricature of African music. It reminded me of Dragon Roost Island from the Wind Waker or how a Zelda game in the Serengeti would sound. Very true to GC/Wii/3DS Zelda music styles.

I agree with @Uffe von Lauterbach that the choir is weak. If you haven't already, I recommend familiarizing yourself with Ladysmith Black Mambazo (at least their work with Paul Simon on Graceland) or Johnny Clegg for something a bit more... Western? Either way, the voices should sound more guttural or sweeping, and should carry more emphasis, in my opinion.

I like the percussion a lot. There's something in there that sounds like a thumb piano (a.k.a., kalimba), and I wonder if you could find a more convincing sample for it. The guitar around 1:58 is very authentic in its tone, though Africa has some peculiar styles practiced in the music I've heard (mostly South African), which I couldn't even describe. Also, you could probably find a more authentic African woodwind, but don't be afraid to use a penny whistle!

Sorry to dump so much on you at once. Clearly a topic where I think I have something to offer. Just my two cents' worth though.

Finally, what gives with the salsa-fied Mario theme that starts at 3:00? Catchy!

@glasfen Thank you very much for all the thing. For the choir, it was the african choir from Logic. i didn't want to make it loud because this part of track is with a lot of instrument.

The flute is a Fula flute. I used Balafon, Bolon and Kora (you said guitar but it's a Kora).

@Uffe von LauterbachAnd Mario Salsa Touch, it's another video (to force people to go on another track ;-))

Thanks

On 9/14/2016 at 5:34 AM, Ganaé said:

@glasfen Thank you very much for all the thing. For the choir, it was the african choir from Logic. i didn't want to make it loud because this part of track is with a lot of instrument.

The flute is a Fula flute. I used Balafon, Bolon and Kora (you said guitar but it's a Kora).

@Uffe von LauterbachAnd Mario Salsa Touch, it's another video (to force people to go on another track ;-))

Thanks

Again, sorry to bombard you with suggestions. You clearly know what you're doing here with the instruments. Looking forward to seeing how the mix develops.

Also, nice marketing of the second track!