Super Mario Land 2 - Space Zone 2 (Techno Remix) "work in progress"

MatzinoMusic

So, I'm back with my current Project. This Time i recording some individual stuff and i was trying, to bring my ideas in this Remix (then that was the Feedback from the Users on my last Project). I had fun to experiment with alot of Sounds and some new note sequences. But now, I'm interested on your Impressions guys! This Project is "work in progress", so i want to try to refine this Remix, with Feedback from you! Here is the Beta Version of this Remix:

If you have some Ideas, critique, Impressions or whatever, so i would be glad if you write me your thoughts in a Post in this Thread ;). Im not completely satisfied with all in this Remix, but i was totally interested to know, what you thinking about this Remix. I hope on a few good Impression from you guys :)!
Greetings Matzino

Good remix! It feels like it needs a central instrument line to be the focus. Nothing really pops out, every instrument is smooth so in your ears it kind of blends together. Maybe change one of the instruments to have more bass or something? I hope I could help, im pretty new here. 

It's very repetitive, which is what techno is basically supposed to be. But if you were to submit this, then I don't think it would be accepted due to repetition and because it really doesn't go anywhere else and just loops. But all hope for a techno remix isn't lost. You can easily introduce different progressions to the track to transform it into something different that would help break away from the repetitiveness and then bring it back. You don't want to stray too far from the original or it'll no longer be Mario. You could also try to tie in other familiar melodies from the Mario franchise. I know it would no longer be just Space Zone 2, but it's worth trying out. I think the Mario vocals are fine as they're syncing to the track. I would try to make the bass more noticeable. I know it's there, but as Greymanz stated, nothing really pops out. I would say you're on a fine start, though.

I think you have a really good base to build from right now. As already stated, the song is a tad repetitive. One thing I think you could is to create a more distinct intro. Currently you just drop the listener into the song, but you might want to build up to the drums and then get into the main progression of the song.

All in all, I like the source and like what I'm hearing so far. Look forward to your next update!

Thanks Guys for your good Feedback! I read your posts intensively and did try to implement some of this things. So now, i have finished a almost completely new version I must say, its have some completely different Patterns then before. I try to get this Time more variations for fewer repetitive feeling ;). I was focused on the melody Part and the Mario Soundeffects. The drumpattern was the same then before, this does not mean that i don't want to change this. The drums are which currently the most repetitive stuff in this Remix, but i want to work on this as next (if there should be a problem).  That would be an important question for me. So tell me what you think about the drums and any ideas. All right then, here is the new Version:

I'm curious what you think about of this new version :).
Greetings Matzino

This is definitely an improvement from before so good job there! A couple things I notice:

1. I am all for using sound samples (Trust me I use them too) but I kinda have the feeling that they are overused a tad bit in this. They sound nice but they get kinda dull after awhile.
  2. There is definitely signs that your trying to vary the melody so its not repetitive (using old retro songs can be tough cause some of them are only 1:30 long:x) Keep finding new and interesting ways to mess with the melody, bass line, etc.
  3. What program/ plug-ins are you using? It sounds like the basic plug-ins you get on FL Studios (Which is not a bad thing:-D). It might be helpful for you to find new plug-ins to use or experiment more with the plug-ins you have already. It can give some extra flare and shine to your music!

I hope this helps :)  

I have to agree a lot with what DJ H0us3C0rP3 said. The Mario vocals are overly used this time around. What you had previously, I felt was fine. As for presets and plug-ins, the last time I checked, there were some freebie synths on this site you could download for free. I use a plug-in called Massive. I could try to find the application on my laptop and send it your way, but I won't make any promises.

First things first, thanks for your interesting in this Project and your usefull Feedback for now.

On 22.9.2016 at 4:29 PM, DJ H0us3C0rP3 said:

This is definitely an improvement from before so good job there! A couple things I notice:

1. I am all for using sound samples (Trust me I use them too) but I kinda have the feeling that they are overused a tad bit in this. They sound nice but they get kinda dull after awhile.
  2. There is definitely signs that your trying to vary the melody so its not repetitive (using old retro songs can be tough cause some of them are only 1:30 long:x) Keep finding new and interesting ways to mess with the melody, bass line, etc.
  3. What program/ plug-ins are you using? It sounds like the basic plug-ins you get on FL Studios (Which is not a bad thing:-D). It might be helpful for you to find new plug-ins to use or experiment more with the plug-ins you have already. It can give some extra flare and shine to your music!

I hope this helps :)  

First, thanks for your praise!

And now my thoughts to your Feedback:

To 1.: I'm not completely agree with this opinion. I think its somewhere right at all. But the Part at 1:40 is a good example for many Mario SFX and not too much in my opinion. This Part of the Track is my favorite and i find, it have a very cool feeling like a "90's Techno-Track" and it don't listening wrong for me. The rest of the Track i overused it possibly a bit too much, thats right.

To 2.: I despair on this Point now :(. I dont have so much more Ideas, what i can change to bring in more variations. Have you exact Ideas for it? I mean to mess up the different Melodys and Drums, its not so easy at all. So, i want to try my best but it was not good enough :(. About any ideas would be grateful for me or examples in other Remixes.

To 3: It make me a bit sad, when you think that i used Free VST's from Fruity Loops :/. You say it, its not the baddest thing but not the best at all. I used Nexus 2 (With alot of Expansions), Massive (with alot of Presets) and Drumsamples from Maschine. I mean ithats are all HQ VST's which you can not compare with Free VST Plugins.

15 hours ago, Uffe von Lauterbach said:

I use a plug-in called Massive. I could try to find the application on my laptop and send it your way, but I won't make any promises.

I dont know if you mean me, but i already have it and use this in this Remix too ^^. But thanks anyways.

I would to do my part to this Community, but i don't know if i really can do this. I mean i have 8 Years experience with producing Music in FL Studio (mainly Rap/Hip-Hop). 

I have here the feeling, that i think what im do, is not enough to Claims of the community. So it was a long way to place a good Remix here on OCRemix, but i want try to make it ;). I don't want surrender at this Point! This means, i will surely soon release a new (hopefully) better version.

Greetings Matzino

Don't take me feedback the wrong way Matzino:-) They are just my silly opinions lol If you feel like what you made is great and where you want it then it doesn't mater what I have to say.:) I also use Nexus and massive but my music is more glitch and dubstep so it sounds vastly different to yours and I apologize for assuming your were using basic plug-ins. My intentions are not to despair you or discourage you but to give ideas or give some advice.

Cheers!8)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to agree on the overuse on SFX in this. Other than that, this version is a big improvement. It'd be neat to add a higher pitched instrument to compliment the later parts, this may sound odd but have you tried a Distortion Guitar? I don't know how well it would fit but just introducing a new instrument later in the song could add a ton of originality.