OCR00264 - Final Fantasy VIII "Eyes on Me (Not Faye Wong)"

m68030

• 2 months later...

Forgive me for being maybe a little too honest, but it is my firm belief that this song+techno does not work. I mean, let's face it, the rigid beat doesn't help Eyes on Me's gentle melody at all. In fact, it's kinda contradictory.

I guess my only problem with the piece is that the instrumental is utterly anti-romantic. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think EyesOnMe CAN work in a fast-paced techno style, but only does so decently here. The pounding rhythm was perhaps a bit too powerful, however, for it completely drowned out the rather excellent vocals. Perhaps a different or slightly toned down drumline would better accentuate the singing. I still definitely enjoyed this remix, however.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i hated this song, its a mockery of everything this song stands for in the game. instead of a calm melody with plenty of space and a good beat, you turned it into a monster that was basically a hip hop version. This song dont work well with hip hop. : :x

If you make another one ever please make it more like the real song, just more orchestra like

:)

This is one of my top ten songs on the site. I love the theme, i love the game, i love the vocals, i love trance, so for me this was an amazing piece of work. I am doing a ff8 love grows piece that sticks close to the feel this is supposed to have. I just hope it does this theme justice. I love this mix a lot, and i think there should be more mixes of this theme and ff8 in general.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

*Dances around in his chair*

I'm with robochar. Thsi was really well done for Eyes On Me. The point of this site, I thought, was not to make the songs identical to their original counterparts. This changes the mood completely while keeping the idealistic optimism of the vocals clear throughout. I could see this made into an FF8 music video...in fact, I suggest it to anyone who has the skill and the will. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

ok, now that i have more time to do this. rydia of mist's voice is very beautiful in this song...ah, i could sit here and listen to it for hours on end..

the only problem i found with this song was that it is kind of hard to hear her voice..and since her voice is so beautiful that's a big deal..still a very good song, a nice electro-vocal work. 8/10

DJ Clikk

• 5 months later...

I didn't like this as much as the original. The vocals were beautiful, maybe more so that Faye Wong, but unfortunately I couldn't hear them. They were drowned out by the overly loud thud-thud-thud beat.

It was as if the artist wasn't sure whether he should place emphasis on the song or the vocals, and made the two equally quiet while keeping the beat the most noticeable aspect. In some ways it seems like the song was rushed and left half-complete without playing around with the volume.

I was also only partially interested in the fast beat because the vocals sounded rushed, in parts where several words came out all at once and was even more inaudible.

I think this is a good idea for a remix since it sounded nice, but I think it needs improvement before I could fully enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like it, though I agree the bass beat was drowning it out at first.

I tried fidddling with my equalizer, reducing the lowest bass a bit, and it brought out the rest of the song better on my cheapo pair of speakers.

I wonder if, on a high-quality sound system with proper subwoofers and such, this would sound much better.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

So Faye Wong did the original, and "Rydia of Mist" sings in this one? If that´s so, congrats for singing very good, and to FFMDJ for picking her. The song itself has some very good beats to it, gave the EoM track a more updated body. Kewl MDJdude and Rydiadudette.

• 3 years later...

I'll echo the general reviews that the singer is a bit too buried for this to really shine, and i'm not digging the bass sound, but otherwise it's pretty effective, especially considering the date. The mix title is a bit silly.

I think someone needs to record a metal version 'Eyes on Me (NotMetallica)'.

Nice layered electro percussion and SFX, it's cool to hear how FFDJ's more recent stuff has evolved. :-)

• 8 months later...

I didn't get why the vocals were soooooo far back. I got the sense this was more Ears on Me (Not Faye Wong), since I struggled to hear anything. I'm left pretty confused why the beats sound like they are right next to me and the other half of the song sounds like it is two floors above me. The result takes away from the cohesion that is pretty much essential for something like this. It's important for a strong beat not to feel slapped on, and I feel this comes closer to that than succeeding as a whole.

Does the concept work? Yeah. Could it have been better executed? Definately. There were a few odd decisions that keep this from greatness. It's a shame because both the vocals and the beats sound decent enough; just in their current state they don't sound like they are part of the same song.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00264 - Final Fantasy VIII "Eyes on Me (Not Faye Wong)"