Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album

The Nikanoru

1 hour ago, HankTheSpankTankJankerson said:

Yeah we live record the synths too.  We are fortunate enough to have a fully functional studio.  We usually select our own digital synths and pads, after that, we determine what needs to be recorded (pads really dont need any humanization) and then lay down saxes and drum set and bass guitar.  It really depends on the importance of the part.  Like if its just groove drum set, then we can record it last, but if the fills are really involved (which they usually are) then it will get bumped up in priority.

HOORAY INSTRUMENTS

....Are you part of a band or something? 

So, let me get this straight. ALL of the tracks are going to have to be live recorded? Right?

If I can get something set up, Nika, put me as a piano performer, but only if I tell you to.

For now, I'll see what I can do.

Anyone who wants me to do piano stuff, go ahead and PM me. 

As to the "bonus Corneria" track, I have a basic outline for it. Might put it up later today. 

22 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

If I can get something set up, Nika, put me as a piano performer, but only if I tell you to.

Okay, I'll add you as a piano performer then immediately erase it until you tell me to put it back up. :D

JK. Let me know if/when and I'll change the thread.

As to the "bonus Corneria" track, I have a basic outline for it. Might put it up later today.

Looking forward to it!

So, let me get this straight. ALL of the tracks are going to have to be live recorded? Right?

For the record, it is not mandatory to have all (instrument, synth, or vocal) tracks recorded live for submission; however, there is a high bar of sound quality that all tracks will have to pass in order to pass the judges' panel. Part of the judges' criteria is the quality of the sound design and the production itself and it is suggested to use live recordings when possible.

In short, you don't have to do it live but it usually sounds better on the whole if you do. :)

@TheChargingRhino I am in fact in a band.  We drastically rearrange all of our tracks to include as much originality as we can get away with while staying within throwing distance of the source material.  My rework of Meteo as posted above is an example of such.  @LongBoxofChocolate is the founder of our trio, and we are about to come out with our first album on the Overclocked Records label.

Does that clear up what I was trying to say earlier?  @The Nikanoru is right in that most of the time (if its intended) arrangements will sound better if they are recorded by acoustic instruments, but if you are working with some ass-whooping sample libraries in a good DAW then you are probably set.  In other words, I am not going to write everything in general midi and ship it that way.  I am going to import the thing into Pro Tools then set the pads and record everything possible on top of that. That is only Lonboxofchocolate's process, though.  It does not work for everyone.

Edited by HankTheSpankTankJankerson
terrible explaination

Thanks @Pichu's Dad and @M_Blacki.

I'll get back to you on the exact notes, you can just play around with the source guitars for now.

I plan on starting with that pad thing, then add the bass, and then go from there.

@HankTheSpankTankJankerson and @LongBoxofChocolate, thanks for explaining.

@The Nikanoru, has ANYONE found that Midi yet?

Can't really start until I get it....

2 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

@Starphoenix said he was going to have a look at it this weekend, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I listened to the track on Saturday and realized the song is much too fast for me to really pick out notes at my skill level right now. I messaged Rhino over the weekend, but didn't make any headway. :/

Hopefully one of ya'll are able to help her out.

On November 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Yeah. I'll let you know about the piano thing

Got the basic outline for the bonus track done.

Working on Boss Roll

have an idea for Meteor- anyone up for recording a live guitar for the harmonics? I'll provide notes....

Hey, is there a chance I could get a direct link to the track you are wanting harmonics on? I'll record something with my guitar and the track and my DAW just to give you an idea of what the part will sound like. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Track as in song?

I think @Pichu's Dad wants you to send him your Meteor WIP so he can show you what he means.

20 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Bonus track done (First WIP)

Thanks for the WIP! I'll PM you some feedback once I get a chance.

1 hour ago, CrimsonCobalt said:

Alright, so I'm currently polishing off my WiPs, but I just wanted to ask if anyone still needed MIDI files.

If you need a MIDI of literally any song from SF, SF2 or SF64 then please let me know, I have tools to extract them directly from the games for full accuracy, and would love to help out.

I want your program. Now.

What is it?

2 hours ago, CrimsonCobalt said:

Alright, so I'm currently polishing off my WiPs, but I just wanted to ask if anyone still needed MIDI files.

If you need a MIDI of literally any song from SF, SF2 or SF64 then please let me know, I have tools to extract them directly from the games for full accuracy, and would love to help out.

Thanks for the offer. Do you guys have any tools that display the midi file properties as it's being played, showing you the notes? I've been working most of mine out by ear but Sector Y is tricky.

On 11/22/2016 at 8:10 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Great work so far. I really love the crashy synth starting at 0:25.

1 hour ago, TheChargingRhino said:

I want your program. Now.

What is it?

I've PMed you on this.

51 minutes ago, M_Blacki said:

Do you guys have any tools that display the midi file properties as it's being played, showing you the notes?

The MIDI file should display nicely in any DAW and the notes should fall in the piano roll. If you're looking for something else, I'll have to get CC to contact you.

__

Requests for particular MIDI files is fine, but could I please get everyone to please PM CC with any questions around the extraction tool itself?

• Liontamer changed the title to Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album