Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album

The Nikanoru

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Boss Roll has landed.

Thank you for the WIP!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

I have a name proposal for the Andross track: I've Been Waiting For You.

Good name, I'll keep it in mind. I was thinking something like 'the Many Faces of Andross,' but I'm certainly still open to suggestions.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:49 AM, Starphoenix said:

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone. With my four-day weekend (I'm not used to so much free time) I'm going to work a bit more on my tracks. 

'The Flash' @Starphoenix has now submitted his SECOND compete (not finished) WIP, 'Cyber Warfare.' Great use of a four-day weekend, IMO... :)

--------

Things are moving along! I now have 16 WIPs out of the 26 claimed tracks, 4 of which have complete (not finished) frameworks in place. There is some awfully good sound I am hearing from our Remixers so far - thanks to everyone who has given me something in the last little while!

I was not expecting to make so much progress on this album so fast; however,since we are, I have decided to set some goals for the project as a whole to keep everyone (including myself) on track to meeting for our July 2018 deadline. So, here they are:

1. 12 tracks for each disc - MISSION CLEAR
  2. 32 claims (16 tracks for each disc) - Goal: March 2017 (6 CLAIMS LEFT)
    1. I have adjusted the tracklist to reflect which claims I would like to see on the album, but character themes and boss themes are still available as well. 32 tracks is the goal, not the end: we may look at expanding our selection if we see enough demand.
  3. 16 complete (not necessarily finished) WIPs - Goal: March 2017 (NEED 12 MORE)
    1. I would like to have 16 complete WIPs by the end of March, as I will be submitting the project for OCR-approval in this quarter. I may not need all 16 WIPs for submission, but 16 by the end of March is the goal.

I will also commit to making sure that everyone who has submitted WIPs will have feedback from @DS394, @DaMonz, and myself before the end of December. We're all a tad busy with life lately, but we're doing our best to keep up. :) You can always PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

At some point in the near future (hopefully sometime in December), I will be putting together some sort of space where all the staff and Remixers on the project can hear some of the WIPs, so everyone can get a clearer idea of the sound that we have for the album so far; however, before I post anything I will ask each Remixer for permission (if you'd like to opt out, this is no problem). I will also be looking into setting us up a spot on the OC ReMix Discord Server so we have the option of a private chat for collaborations or just discussion of the album itself - those of you who are interested, let me know.

I'll post the goals to the top of the thread later today. Great work so far, everyone. Once again, claims are still open - let us know if you want in!

No one has done Space Armada yet?

Seriously, why is no one doing the track?

Sure, it might be filled in due time....

But still.

Also, if I manage to get my tracks (expect for collabs, of course) completely finished up to second WIP, then I might do sort of an introduction....

Going to use SF and SF2 intros/might combine SF64's into the mix as well, cause why not. 

10 hours ago, Siolfor the Jackal said:

Hi guys, this is a great idea that I'd love to be a part of if I could.

I'm new here but could I claim Sector Z from Star Fox 64?

You most certainly can! This track is yours, Siolfor .... I was hoping someone would choose this!

I see @TheChargingRhino has already rolled out the carpet for you. Welcome aboard! :)

5 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

No one has done Space Armada yet?

Seriously, why is no one doing the track?

Sure, it might be filled in due time....

But still.

I'm sure the claim is coming. The right Remixer is just waiting for the right moment to pounce on it! :D

5 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

To clarify- I'll claim Space Armada, but for the bonus disc. 

To be specific, you have two claims of your own currently (Meteor and Ending/Boss Roll), you're in two collaborations (Corneria and Records 1), and have one bonus track (Corneria).

The claim is yours, go ahead with the bonus track. Once you send me a WIP, I'll update the overview and thread.

4 minutes ago, The Nikanoru said:

To be specific, you have two claims of your own currently (Meteor and Ending/Boss Roll), you're in two collaborations (Corneria and Records 1), and have one bonus track (Corneria).

The claim is yours, go ahead with the bonus track. Once you send me a WIP, I'll update the overview and thread.

Thanks, Nika. 

Hi everyone!

Just posting here because The Nikanoru extorted a WIP from me, and I thought it would be fair to share it with everyone :D

Enjoy the systematic slaughter of everything moving under the sea on Aquas! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0QpOgRYCqN3VmxCa3hqLXlheFE

If you fancy the second part of the mix, I suggest you check one of my favorite artist of all time (a fellow frech guy) going by the name of The Algorithm. I really wanted to imitate his style for a long time, and this ReMix seemed to me like a good occasion to try a lot of new things.

EDIT: The guitar solo at the begining is a placeholder, I am well aware that it contained a lot of mistakes :)

Edited by JulienMulard
Adding information

1 hour ago, JulienMulard said:

The guitar solo at the begining is a placeholder, I am well aware that it contained a lot of mistakes :)

Love that guitar -- reminds me of these 90s TV series I used to watch when I was younger :3

I guess this intro in general really fits Aqua. I'd probably introduce lower pads near the end/during the second half of this part to give a heavier and darker atmosphere to the section. Also, making the arpeggio a bit louder each time it 'resurfaces' could help in that regard and adding a pan delay to it might sound nice too. I guess some reverbed bass drums or some sort wouldn't be a bad idea either. This should help make this part less repetitive to me. 

Vivement la suite :)

Are we reviewing other WIPs now?

Cool.

In that case, can someone review "Clipped Wings"?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUILThockE3cHlmMlE

This is the rock version

On 11/25/2016 at 9:00 PM, The Nikanoru said:

I'm not sure what you mean by synth wave, as about 75% of our WIP is pure synth-work.

Is this a particular genre?

Yes.

And I just discovered it.

It was made in the 70's-80's, but is back.

Here you go, It's far from finished, but it's a start.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUIb09DcGV4NWl6bU0

....Uh....don't know what happened to that...oh well.

Tell me what I should do- should I combine both versions or just do Synthwave?

30 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

It's pretty much a cover just now -- more than it is a remix -- but if you find someone with good hard-rock/metal knowledge and skills, I'm sure he's gonna help turn this into a kickass arrangement.

What I'd do if I were would be to explore the guitar riffs composition further to have a sequence that sounds more 'realistic' and solid even thought you uses a pretty synthetic instrument. Such games as 'Thunder Force IV' did a great job as to make insanely advanced riff compos despite the limitation of the system -- check Lightning Strikes Again or Stand Up Against Myself for instance.

That could just be me, but I was a drummer, I know I could clearly mess around with the drums SO bad and have a blast with it -- it's a little too nice and gentle to my taste as of now and could benefit from going real wild. Check Tsukumo-san's work and you'll know what I mean -- Legendary Wings is a good example.

All three of these tracks you can find good MIDI versions of on VGMusic.com if you want to study their composition in a more convenient way ;)

1 hour ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Cool.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUILThockE3cHlmMlE

This is the rock version

Just briefly going through the song, with my laptop speakers: 

Production:

• The main synth you open up with sounds like too much resonance. Was a little jarring at first.
  • The lead that kicks in at 0:36-0:49 is not separating itself from the background synth and percussions. Your synth is being overpowered, and on the cymbal crashes the lead sounds like it is being distorted. Same issue at 1:01-1:16 with the synth being drowned out.
  • Feel like overall there is too much happening in the high frequency range and not enough elsewhere. Those background synths sound really sharp. My ears just may be sensitive.

Arrangement:

• I'm not sure how far along to this WIP you are, but I feel like it's pretty by-the-numbers until 1:22. Play around with the fills some more and see if you can come up with some more cool twists on the melody.
  • The ending was a little abrupt.

Sorry if this isn't helpful enough. I've just briefly went through it and my Macbook speakers aren't always a good judge of sound (I need to get some production headphones). Doing a good job with this so far. Loving the energy you're bringing to the track! :)

4 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Thanks, guys.

However, you only reviewed the rock version.

There is also a "synthwave" version that I might use.

In fact, it might fit perfectly with the "OCReMix video"....thing. 

Thanks for the reviews, but also review the synthwave version.

It is not finished. 

Personally, I prefer the ai-electronic version. Just briefly listening through, I can already hear a couple different ways you can take that track and improvise. Choose whichever you feel. :P

3 hours ago, JulienMulard said:

Just posting here because The Nikanoru extorted a WIP from me, and I thought it would be fair to share it with everyone :D

Extorted? All I did was ask! No hostages involved, I swear! LOL

2 hours ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

Vivement la suite :)

Je ne parle pas francais. :D

1 hour ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Okay, I have built a spreadsheet like the overview where all the Remixers can listen to the current tracks. If you would like access, please PM me your email so I can share the spreadsheet with you. Reviews can be posted here - as you are all doing already. :)

Also, please let me know if you are comfortable having your tracks posted to this spreadsheet and I will post them.

EDIT: Oh, and I post the most current WIP to the spreadsheet - for example, @TheChargingRhino's synth-wave version of Clipped Wings is the one I posted, as that's the latest version she gave me.

• Liontamer changed the title to Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album