Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album

The Nikanoru

@JulienMulard's Raid on the Water People now has a new version! Check it out on the WIP spreadsheet.

----

15 hours ago, TheChargingRhino said:

YOU GUYS WANTED A REDONE SCRAMBLE INTRO, HERE YOU GO.

I don't recall asking for a new SCRAMBLE intro, but this is actually pretty cool.

If you want to use it, then I suggest that this may be something you consider putting into Clipped Wings instead - perhaps as a breakdown or bridge. Just my opinion.... ;)

51 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

I had an idea for "Attack Carrier/Boss A".

It's up above on this page, I think.

You have a claim on the Map Select theme which you sent me a WIP of, but you haven't sent me anything for Boss A/Attack Carrier theme.

If you want to remix Boss A, you'll have to give up your claim on the Map Theme.

On 5/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, TheChargingRhino said:

Idea for "Attack Carrier"

Yes, I used the soundfont for the beginning.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cNg5GTkCUIYjNBTDgzQ0JRVkk

Includes the intro only for now, someone can combine Boss A with this. 

Up for the taking.

Meaning anyone can take this up, I just came up with an introduction. 

Was going to include the "Boss A" intro/some dialogue, but we'll see...

Alright - I said I would be working on the narrative part of this album in May, so I thought I would give an update on that. I still haven't developed a plan on what this looks like yet, but I have been thinking about the narrative discussion earlier and I'm now building the framework on what that would look like. Here's what I have so far...

What I'm thinking is 3 or 4 minute-long narrative scenes and possibly an ending sequence to give listeners a bit of context and help guide the path of the journey, much like the conversations with Pepper and pilot chatter in the games themselves. Each 'scene' would likely be amongst the pilots and a few select guests, depending on the scene.

Now, I do not want to go too far with this, as this is a remix/arrangement album and not an audio play; however, I'm totally open to suggestions on how to proceed or anything you think should be mentioned/included in the scene or dialogue. I do not plan to pump the dialogue full of cheese either; I might make a quick joke or two in game context - 'Watch where you're aiming, Fox!' - but I plan to keep as close to what I think the game would say.

Here are some examples of where I would see these scenes in the album:

1. Opening <-----> Title Theme (Introduction?)
  2. Boss A/Attack Carrier <----> Meteo ('All ships check in')
  3. Fortuna <----> Sauria (Approach to Sauria/Meeting Krystal?)
  4. Boss B <----> end of disc 1 (Leaving Sauria/Falling into the Black Hole?)
  5. Space Armada <-----> Star Wolf (Introduction to Star Wolf)
  6. Boss C <-----> Venom Orbital/Base (Approach to Venom?)
  7. Andross <----> Ending (Job Well Done?)

NOTE: The above are suggestions - MAXIMUM 4 narratives, period. I do not want a dialogue with Pepper at the beginning because we have Pepper's monologue in SCRAMBLE and I'm also not going to build any dialogue around conversations between Fox and Andross because of the Andross monologue I'm planning to build for the Andross remix (whatever form that takes).

So - please let me know what you think of the concept and/or if you are interested in possibly voicing any of the characters - and let me know which character you're interested in, if you have a particular character in mind (Yes, @TheChargingRhino, I know you're interested invoicing Krystal and @Cole Train has already given an offer to be Fox, since he's rapping as Fox on the Sauria remix anyway).  Keep in mind that I'm not in a position to actually cast anyone yet - I don't even have a script - but if I know you're interested now then I'll contact you later when I'm in a position to start looking at recording. I have no set timeline for this - I'm STILL trying to find time to piece together the SCRAMBLE update and my own WIP - but I can commit to at least having the first script in place by the next deadline, wherever we decide that to be.

Speaking of deadlines, six weeks to go!

27 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

We COULD have "remakes" or "entry" tracks playing under the monologues.....

The narratives will be decidedly non-musical. I plan to feature ambient noise or some SFX as part of the narrative, but no BGM.

34 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

If you guys need script ideas, YOU KNOW WHO TO PM!

Don't worry, I'll keep you in mind. :)

22 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

Here are some examples of where I would see these scenes in the album:

1. Opening <-----> Title Theme (Introduction?)
  2. Boss A/Attack Carrier <----> Meteo ('All ships check in')
  3. Fortuna <----> Sauria (Approach to Sauria/Meeting Krystal?)
  4. Boss B <----> end of disc 1 (Leaving Sauria/Falling into the Black Hole?)
  5. Space Armada <-----> Star Wolf (Introduction to Star Wolf)
  6. Boss C <-----> Venom Orbital/Base (Approach to Venom?)
  7. Andross <----> Ending (Job Well Done?)

NOTE: The above are suggestions - MAXIMUM 4 narratives, period.

Sounds interesting. I feel like two per disc -- at the start and end of each -- is enough -- especially if you want to "hide" others within actual remixes. I also think it's a good idea to have 'em play after the remix which will open the disc and before the one that'll close it.

How long are you planning each of these to be?

21 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

The narratives will be decidedly non-musical. I plan to feature ambient noise or some SFX as part of the narrative, but no BGM.

I think it is wise considering it'd force us to find someone to produce a cinematic score for each "Drama" otherwise. As a movie-addict, I'm with Lauren and would prefer some music added to them but, as a producer, I agree it might demand too much work.

23 hours ago, The Nikanoru said:

Let me know which character you're interested in, if you have a particular character in mind.

I know my sistah has lots of mics gathering dust somewhere so I have to check if I can get acceptable recordings out of these. If I can, I could be interested in playing good ol' Wolf O'Donnell -- speaking with a deeper voice should help me hide my accent ;)

Great feedback, @classic_gamer_76!

49 minutes ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

I feel like two per disc -- at the start and end of each -- is enough -- especially if you want to "hide" others within actual remixes. I also think it's a good idea to have 'em play after the remix which will open the disc and before the one that'll close it.

How long are you planning each of these to be?

Good ideas, I'll keep them in mind. I expect each narrative to be about 60-90 seconds.

51 minutes ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

If I can, I could be interested in playing good ol' Wolf O'Donnell -- speaking with a deeper voice should help me hide my accent ;)

LOL We all have accents to someone! Thanks, 76 - I'll put you down for Wolf.

16 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

YOU KNOW WHO WE SHOULD HIRE FOR VA?!

Phonx.

I don't know who that is, but if this person is interested in doing a voice, go ahead and put them in touch with me here on OCR or at lylat.system.clear@gmail.com. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

39 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

I am ONCE AGAIN remaking Clipped Wings

This is fine, but be aware that we are already eight months into the project and the more you change your approach, the less time you have for polish.

-----

I see our sig banners are busted again. I don't have time to fix right now, but I'll have a look at this over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Updates for today:

• Promotional poster is being worked on as I write this. My artist has found a hole in his schedule and has been discussing ideas for the layout with me. I'm hoping to get something back from him next week.
  • I've touched base with @Starphoenix on website design, but not much else yet. I'll be looking at layouts over the weekend to give him some suggestions of what I like and what I don't like. Haven't seen any artist bios yet - a little starting content for the website would be nice, if anyone is bored. The goal for website framework to be in place is late August.

Second call for anyone interested in voicing a Star Fox character - drop me a line here or by PM if you're interested.

-----

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Here you go.

I took WAY too long to respond to this. Sorry, Rhino.

This is also kind of cool - especially the bit after 1:55 - but I can't accept this in its current form. It is too close in design to another remix we have on the go - SCRAMBLE - and we can't have remixes of remixes on an OCR release.

I recommend you continue with the synthwave version I have currently posted from you - this version is sounding very good so far (to me, anyway) and I think you have a much better approach to build your style with here. Maybe you could find a way to work the ideas you had above into the synthwave version?

EDIT: FOUR WEEKS TO GO before next deadline!

@DS394 has been hard at work - I now have updates for both Lylat Legacy and the Sector X remix. Mostly adjustments to mix, but please give them a listen! DS will be losing the use of his studio in the next week or so. These are almost done, so if anyone else has any notes on mix or production, please let us know so he can get them corrected ASAP.

@TheChargingRhino has been experimenting with Clipped Wings, combining some of her previous ideas, and I like the direction she's taking things. I've posted the update she sent me - give this a listen too and let us know what you think!

We've got a framework for where the narratives will fall now and we're starting to build some scripts. Once we refine the ideas into something we like, I'll get the script looking somewhat professional and post something to get some feedback from everyone. Thanks to @classic_gamer_76, @DS394, and @TheChargingRhino for all the help on this!

• Liontamer changed the title to Lylat System CLEAR: A Star Fox Tribute Album