MEETUP: New York City, NY Meetup '06 - Pics on Pages 30 And 32-34!

Bahamut

Sorry Katsurugi. I thought I sensed some hostility in your earlier post...

Anyway, unless a miracle occurs I won't be able to do Thursday--or maybe even Friday. I have a lenient boss, but it's a new job so I don't wanna screw up. :(

But I will be in NYC anyway for a friend's New Year's party on Sunday the 31st. So it would be great if I could partake in *something* OCR-related while there.

But if not, there's always next year.

<- How can this cow ever be angry?? n_n

Anyway, since this is a possible issue, it's best if it gets resolved as quick as possible. But as of right now, it doesn't sound like you can make it at all. =( Are you asking for it to be moved to Friday? Please find out if you can come on either one those days so we can finalize things!

I have a simple request. Can we make sure we have some sort of home base this year? It was too much wandering around last time, and I feel like we all would have bonded better if we'd been able to chill out in a relatively quiet place. Plus, too much walking! ^_~

Any volunteers who live in Manhattan? There's going to be a lot of walking regardless though - it's NYC! Although....all that walking in circles around Grand Central to figure out where to have lunch was unnecessary. Also, someone should have some restaurants in mind and the phone numbers of the places for dinner - it'd be good if we could nab a reservation in advance rather than wait for an hour again for dinner.

You started the thread? You're in charge! If you don't think you can be responsible for da plan-making, hand it over to someone else in the NYC area. ^_~

I have a simple request. Can we make sure we have some sort of home base this year? It was too much wandering around last time, and I feel like we all would have bonded better if we'd been able to chill out in a relatively quiet place. Plus, too much walking! ^_~

Any volunteers who live in Manhattan? There's going to be a lot of walking regardless though - it's NYC! Although....all that walking in circles around Grand Central to figure out where to have lunch was unnecessary. Also, someone should have some restaurants in mind and the phone numbers of the places for dinner - it'd be good if we could nab a reservation in advance rather than wait for an hour again for dinner.

You started the thread? You're in charge! If you don't think you can be responsible for da plan-making, hand it over to someone else in the NYC area. ^_~

Well, I don't exactly live in Manhattan, or know all the restaurants that people would want to go to better than those who live in Manhattan or go to school there (although I do know plenty of places to eat, some fairly pricey). It's not like a set plan would be much good in a city like NYC - there's just too much to do! The museums are always nice places to visit, and Central Park is even nice for a stroll, and even for an evening date. Unfortunately, the city is best known for its vibrant nightlife, and that's impossible to really partake in with a meetup :( (not to mention how expensive it is).

First post updated again!

It's hard to find a good restaurant in the Midtown area that isn't part of a chain or extremely expensive. Aside from the attractions such as the theaters and other landmarks in midtown, prices are generally pretty high around there to essentially gouge the wallets of tourists (a normal entree at Applebee's is like 15-20 dollars in stead of 10-15 dollars.) If we wanted to eat in the midtown area, we'd probably have to go someplace cheap and on the mediocre level of deliciousness. This isn't a problem with Manhattan as a whole, just midtown.

But that's just for lunch. I could potentially go scout of there. However, I've been around the Rockefeller area a bunch of times and there's really nothing there that's within our price range except for a shady looking pizzerias. The only real recommendations I have are John's Pizzeria and Carmine's. It's italian food generally pretty good. As for the price, it's do-able and a sit down restaurant to boot. If I remember correctly, it's about 15 dollars for an entree that you can probably split 3 ways (2 if you're really hungry) at Carmine's. Over at John's Pizzeria, I think it's about 13 maybe 14 dollars for a pie which is pretty good but also thin crust so it's not too filling. :? Entrees range from 9 dollars to 11. This isn't too close to Grand Central though. We'd probably have to walk a couple of avenues (not streets) west to get there and then possibly walk back to go to Nintendo World.

I'm planning to go to Manhattan this weekend if everyything works out for me this week. Any requests?

Well last year, we went to the Sbarros in Times Square and the Outback Steakhouse on 18th street, and those were good places, although the wait at Outback sucked for dinner. One suggestion for dinner at least is some of the restaurants on 34th St. - that particular street is known as a mini k-town, especially between 5th Avenue & Broadway (or was it 6th Ave.?). Some of the korean restaurants there are good (one of them looks kinda fancy too, it has a waterfall and some rocks inside the place and is 2 stories, but has good seating for large parties). There is also an expensive but supposedly good sushi place on 34th & 5th, but I'm not sure how many people would want to go to that place.

It's hard to find a good non-chain restaurant that's big enough to accommodate for a party our size for lunch though since most of the pizzerias are pretty small (although they're great).

But as of right now, it doesn't sound like you can make it at all. =( Are you asking for it to be moved to Friday? Please find out if you can come on either one those days so we can finalize things!

Look, don't go changing the entire date on account of me. I'd feel bad having so much sway over the universe. :wink:

Can we get a vote from the rest of the attendees for either that Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? What works, what doesn't work?

Wish there was some way to set up polls in these forums...

I'll ask my boss tomorrow if he'll let me off on Friday. It's a tossup.

Well, I dunno if you noticed, but the Athair guy I listed is a friend of mine who hasn't felt the need to post in the thread yet :P . If I bring 2 more, it'd be just random luck that the second friend would be around to come, but I may bring one friend who would enjoy a fun time in NYC (he is an FIT alum, and does freelance artist work, predominantly stuff involving computer graphics and/or computers).

BY ORDER OF SIR ZIRCON, I HEREBY DECLARE THE 2006 NYC MEETUP TO BE ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 28TH.

pwned. :oops:

Ah well. My boss won't let me off easy either day anyway, though for some unknown reason we're closed on Tuesday the 26th.

Have fun all, and maybe next year... :(