MEETUP: New York City, NY Meetup '06 - Pics on Pages 30 And 32-34!

Bahamut

I know hiiiimmmmm!

And yay, this is gonna be awesome. (...assuming I'm over my cold by the 28th...)

OJ does a world of good. This year was the first time I inhaled 2 gallons of OJ within 4 days, and catching the cold last Monday, I got over it yesterday, and now I feel like I never had a cold. Hope you feel better in time!

Anywho, I'll definitely be going.

Did we ever figure out a place people can drop off their stuff?

I'm gonna try and ask around with some friends of mine to see if anyone lives right in the city and willing to let us drop off a few things, like the wiis/xbox/sleeping bags / etc. No guarantees but, it's worth a shot; I'm sure no one wants to carry around all that stuff everywhere ;)

How much stuff do you think there'll be? And what would our dropoff / pickup times be?

The closer a dropoff is to Grand Central, the better... we start there and either end there or head to zircon's from there. I'll have no problem carrying what I bring; if everyone else could manage the same, it'd be great.

Speaking of zircon, I want him to please tell me this train to Pleasantville happens to be the Metro-North. If so, I can take it on the return all the way up to the Fordham Road station and simply walk a few blocks home. I'm in love with convenience. And who knows, maybe next year when I'm ready to receive company....

The closer a dropoff is to Grand Central, the better... we start there and either end there or head to zircon's from there. I'll have no problem carrying what I bring; if everyone else could manage the same, it'd be great.

Speaking of zircon, I want him to please tell me this train to Pleasantville happens to be the Metro-North. If so, I can take it on the return all the way up to the Fordham Road station and simply walk a few blocks home. I'm in love with convenience. And who knows, maybe next year when I'm ready to receive company....

Yup, it's the Metro North - the only train that goes to Pleasantville :P . How is the Fordham Rd. area of the Bronx though? I have a friend who currently lives halfway between the Wakefield and Woodlawn stations, and he's scared of walking around at night, and he's Jamaican.

And Merry Christmas Eve/Day to all you NYC OCRers!

I'd hate for Tauce to backtrack, but we'll be heading to Times Square once we start out, and I don't think he'd wanna wait for us at the Port. :(

Whether you use the street or the Port entrance, it's the same amount of walking to the Square, FYI. It's only a coupla blocks.

I second the OJ, Jill. Gallons.

Baha, I'm in the Tremont neighborhood, and all you'd ever see me do at night is walk home from work or from shopping. It's good practice not to be out late at night anywhere in any city, but it's not maniacal out here, at least not down 3rd or Park Ave. Keeping out of Fordham and Webster probably helps, and remembering that crooks usually do dumb shit only to people they know.

Anyone coming out here gets treated to breakfast at the Splendid; good stuff. And I just remembered there's a music store 'round here too: Bronen's. They deal in a lot of used stuff, but they seem to have good deals on all sorts of instruments and amps. One of these days I'll look into the place more.

So apparently GCT doesn't have storage lockers, which sucks but I guess kinda makes sense (bombs, anthrax, pandas, etc). Museums might work, did we have one in mind? (Jose)

I still have like one or two friends I can contact and see if anyone lives in the actual city, so far everyone's been really out of the way (Westchester, Queens).

I guess my suggestion is just to square off who's bringing what system, carry 'em in inconspicuous bookbags, not go overboard with the sleeping bags, etc. Maybe it won't be that much of a problem really, I was just worried about cramped/inconvenient locations like arcades, restaurants, etc.

Museums mostly won't even let you bring in any baggage (one reason we had for skipping a museum visit), so storage is probably out of the question. Cramping would only be an issue at Chinatown Fair and Multimedia 1.0, so don't worry 'bout that, but everyone should just bring what's absolutely necessary.

I don't even have a sleeping bag. I've been known to sleep on hardwood floors, but I will bring a pillow and a thick cover from my bed set, which is more than enough needed, plus takes much less space than a sleeper. Folks staying over, just use your imagination.

Weather looks to be mild on Thursday, with afternoon temps over 50, which means some of you may not need heavy coats... that's one more thing that might help.